Thread: stoopid question regarding dipnetting

Default stoopid question regarding dipnetting

What are you dipnetting? I tried to peck and search a few sites and figured it was fish. Is there only certain places and/or species to do this? I am trying to get stationed in Kodiak, AK next year.

We (Alaskan residents) dipnet red salmon in personal use fisheries in only a few places. Look up personal use in the AFD&G Sportfishing regs.

It's my understanding that in Kodiak you can get a subsistance gillnet permit if you are a resident.

I believe I have a better understanding. Do you need a permit to dipnet outside of a personal use area? I would assume that your normal fishing license would cover the taking of fish. This sounds like something the wife would enjoy.

You can not dipnet outside of the personal use areas. Check out the fish and game site for details.

Default Florida!?

Dipnetting is very touchy, and is supposed to be tightly regulated, from what I understand. Whether it is the latter, seems to be of debate. Bottom line, it is not like Florida. You cannot dip wherever you want, as in Florida, with a license, you may fish to your hearts content, so long as you stay within your bag limits.

There is another form of salmon fishing which I am less familiar with, set netting. This gives you a bit more options, but also requires a rig, crew, etc.

Typically, you would not want to dip out of the Personal Use areas anyway. There are rivers that yield high numbers, and are not marked for PU, but are not in areas easily accessible to a recreational dipper, are unsafe, or controlled. The laws and regulations are always changing, so it's best to check with an updated source.

Best of luck to you, and your wife. (Yes, she would enjoy it!)

Chilly

This is easy. As a resident of any state other than Alaska, you can NOT dipnet anywhere, anytime, anyhow. Nor can you help any Alaskan dipnet. Nor can you help process or even carry the fish caught by dipnet.

Setnetting falls under 2 categories. If you are talking about commercial setnetting, you must have a commercial permit, a site, thousands of dollars worth of gear, and you sell the fish to a processor. If you are talking about the very few limited PU setnet sites, they fall under the same resident-only rules on the dipnet permit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Perfect advice, especially for anyone coming from other states...

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    ... Check out the fish and game site for details.
    Florida maybe more than most - regs there were simple and few. I recall F&G in FL checking licenses one evening - banter, joking, laughter. Times I've met Alaska's Wildlife Troopers, they were professional, but clearly not stopping to hang out.

Alaska's regs might be some of the most complex and details matter; a day or a mile, the lack of a stamp, too many hooks, a hook too big (gap)... how the lure is attached or not... bait/no bait - or now bait OK..., little things make the biggest differences.

I'll say this for the State though. They make it easy to read the regs. I still prefer to have print in-possession, but the online access makes it simple.

Good luck... and get ready!