Thread: Question handguns through Canda

Default Question handguns through Canda

I was searching through another thread about relocating to AK from FL. (I hope to make the same move next year, depending if I get orders or not.) Do you know if the same rule regarding handguns apply to military members on orders? I also have a FL weapons permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    I was searching through another thread about relocating to AK from FL. (I hope to make the same move next year, depending if I get orders or not.) Do you know if the same rule regarding handguns apply to military members on orders? I also have a FL weapons permit.
    I think so but not 100% sure.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have never had an issue with a legal (by there definition) long gun other than paying the fee for a permit. I have been told by Canadian Customs that under NO circumstances will they allow you to bring a handgun into Canada. Your best bet is to find a FFL to send it to a FFL in your base state. I have never had a FFL dealer charge me for transferring my own gun to myself via a FFL.

take with you on the plane up or ship by ffl dealer to ffl dealer typle transferred for that the only way your are getting a handgun in alaska inless you buy it there..

i went up to the border to ask a simple question about transporting a handgun though canada with my badge and i d card i still got the whole treatment of why do i want to do that..
    do like they said fly with it or ship it a head ..

for i might be getting a job with a small dept up there and might not make the ferry to come up and was going to drive though canada at a later time ..so yeah do what they guys say here to do

No handguns in Canada regardless of affiliation.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    No handguns in Canada regardless of affiliation.
    Not so, it's not worth the hassle, but I have done it. You must apply in advance (like 60 days) for a handgun permit and Canada gun owners license, can’t be a military caliber, barrel must be over 4.25” (I think it is, they use metric), got to have all kinds of locks, and a bunch of other junk. Canada has 3 classes of guns and I don’t remember what they call the acceptable class, but the other two are restricted, and prohibited. Most handguns fall under the prohibited class and none are in the acceptable class, but some do fall under the restricted class meaning they are allowed with ‘restrictions’ imposed on them.

Unless going to a handgun match in Canada it’s way more hassle and expense than it’s worth. It’s almost like what we go through in the US to own a full auto.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

ADField is correct.

It is possible. I simplified it because the worries are not worth it in any circumstance that I can see.

My wife is Canadian and my citizenship paperwork is in progress. The process means that I can't take the chance.

FFL to FFl is the easy way to go.

Checked in luggage is easy.

Good luck.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I will be driving up. Don't really want to catch a ferry from Washington. Hate to have to ship it. But that looks like my only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    My wife is Canadian and my citizenship paperwork is in progress. The process means that I can't take the chance.
    Ya, if Toronto ever found out you were ruined by the handgun virus they would lose your paperwork.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have shipped them in my HHG several times. Had each listed with serial number on the inventory, as required. I've had the HHG office inspectors check several times but I have had no problems with lost of weapons. Lost a few other things but not those. It is an option.

Even if you personally carry everything else, let the government move your guns and expensive electronics.

I've done the DITY to/from Alaska twice now, and both times I've broken something expensive in-transit. Last trip was a subwoofer that broke with a combination of water (small leak in the trailer) and the horrible bumps between Haines Junction and Beaver Creek. Had Uncle Sam shipped it, I would have a new speaker without an insurance claim. As far as the guns, it's much easier to ship than to complete the ppw. The actual requirements aren't quite as bad as it's made out to be, but it IS a PITA. This question usually comes up every couple of months...here's the most recent discussion I can find: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=odd+question

With the new claims process for government household goods shipments, it's easier than ever to make a claim and you don't need to use the legal office anymore; you go direct with the shipper who packed the goods. The time and money wasted at the border isn't reimbursable, and I'd just as soon not worry about carrying any weapons through Canada.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to at least carry one. But it looks like it will be a hassle. I will just have them shipped.

I have done the trip several times and yes i do not like not having one with me. Taking long guns is not a problem but they get wrapped up over a had gun. Ship them, and the ferry is the same way you still go into Canada and can be searched.
    Carry permits, military, LEO, Gov means nothering to these guys, you will also get veried answers on what you can and can't do.
    They paper work that you need to get them throu is just not worth the worrie.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I have done the trip several times and yes i do not like not having one with me. Taking long guns is not a problem but they get wrapped up over a had gun. Ship them, and the ferry is the same way you still go into Canada and can be searched.
    Carry permits, military, LEO, Gov means nothering to these guys, you will also get veried answers on what you can and can't do.
    They paper work that you need to get them throu is just not worth the worrie.
    Good luck
    Even Mexico has more respect for US LEOs than Canada does.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I just came up in July. I showed the border agent the paperwork that my rifles where in my HHG shipment and that I shipped my handguns through FedEx from me to an FFL in Anchorage.

I pulled through without even being searched. If I wouldn't have had the FedEx form they would have gone through my truck and my pull behind RV.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltersm View Post
    I just came up in July. I showed the border agent the paperwork that my rifles where in my HHG shipment and that I shipped my handguns through FedEx from me to an FFL in Anchorage.

I pulled through without even being searched. If I wouldn't have had the FedEx form they would have gone through my truck and my pull behind RV.
    thats probably what I will do. But fedex before I hit the border. I don't want to go a couple of months without defense. Especially traveling cross country.

When are you heading up to Alaska? Just curious, cause if it is within the next few weeks, you might be in for a pretty wild trip. Just drove up to Alaska, and then back down to WA state a few days ago, and it was starting to snow up in the mountains near Watson Lake. Check your fuel too, got stuck in Watson Lake all night because none of the gas stations were open, and none of the pumps took credit cards!! Really makes you appreciate the small things about america.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    When are you heading up to Alaska? Just curious, cause if it is within the next few weeks, you might be in for a pretty wild trip. Just drove up to Alaska, and then back down to WA state a few days ago, and it was starting to snow up in the mountains near Watson Lake. Check your fuel too, got stuck in Watson Lake all night because none of the gas stations were open, and none of the pumps took credit cards!! Really makes you appreciate the small things about america.
    It will be end of June beginning of July. I always heard to get what you want from the states because everything is expensive. So I am doing my research and getting preparred.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Not until summer maybe. I have to get my Bachelors and a career up there first. My fiancee is going to UAF online right now and will finish up there by Jan. 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Even Mexico has more respect for US LEOs than Canada does.
    I sure this was a tongue-in-cheek comment but as a Canadian LEO I will say that I have lot's of respect for my US brethern. Doesn't mean I'll stop upholding Canadian laws because of what they do though.