Thread: Redding seating Die modifications

Default Redding seating Die modifications

I recently made some changes to my Redding seating die so I could adjust it easier. My intent was to modify the die so that I could read the depth and adjust as well as change the seating depth for different bullets on the first try and not have to guess and adjust. The result while not near as good as a real micrometer seating die is rather good and did not cost me anything.

The first picture is of the unmodified die. The seating stem is 20 threads per inch so each turn will change depth by 0.050". I removed the seating stem and used a file to put a flat on the side. I then removed a bit of every other thread too the right or left of the flattened area. So that the first tread removed on the right was 2 down, the first on the right was 4 down, the 2nd on the right was 6 down, and so on. I then stamped the flat area with a line at 2, 6, 10, and 14. I stamped with punch marks on the other even numbers. See picture 2.

I also wanted to be able to get more accurate then even turns so I cut 10 groves in the top of the locking nut. I marked out a chunk of cardboard with the devisions, then using and old stub of 1/2"-20 bolt and nut I mounted the whole thing to a chunk of steel with a hole in it. I then used a file to cut some grooves. I then put a punch mark in the bottom of hte grove zero, and punch marks be side all the even grooves. I decided that the punch marks did not show up good enough so I cold blued it and filed the top of so the punch marks would be dark. See pictures 3 and 4 (next post). As you can see I made a mess of cutting the grooves. The file was so wide that I could see past it well, when I do this in the future I will use a hack saw so I can see better. This will still work fine as the marks are just to be able to reset to the same position not measure.

I then put the whole thing back togeather. And found the setting for the COAL I have been using with a bullet. I then put a mark on the box so I know where to set the die again if needed. Picture 5.

So far it has worked great and saved a lot of time adjusting the die. When changing bullets all I do is set to what I have written on the box and check the first one and good to go. Also if I want to try say 0.075" shorter I just turn the die down 0.075"/0.050" = 1.5 turns and dead on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1790_crop.jpg   100_1808_crop.jpg  

More Pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1795_crop.jpg   100_1810_crop.jpg  

One last picture. Stupid think will only let me post 2 at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1811_crop.jpg