Thread: Great Trip

Default Great Trip

A couple of days ago I got back from a caribou hunting/flying trip up to the arctic. It was a great experience and my tricked out 7GCBC did a great job. We hunted not to far from Kavik, down in a creek bed and transported our meat back to Happy Valley. My partner and I shot 4 medium sized meat bulls all with-in 400 yards of the plane. Because of the less than 300 foot strip(sloping and water on both ends) and warm weather, played it safe taking lighter loads out than I would of preferred(one bou at a time). Chase truck and 120 gallons of fuel made the truck possible. Next time I will have a sat phone for safety(wife says). The weather went from snowing one morning to 65 degrees two days later. Feds were present and hit one the commerical 135 guys in a husky for inspection violations and left alot of very mad customers stuck there. They also busted an outlaw transporter the day we got back into Happy Valley, according to one of the other operators. The north slope commerce people was there flashing badges and asking alot of questions to see if we were private indivuals or was transporting/guiding so they could collect fees. The hundreds of hours practicing and playing at Knik helped alot. Met some great people, had lot of fun, brought some great meat home, and learned alot. Talk about priceless!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default sorry for being naive

what is the issue with commerce folks flashing badges?...I understand the part 135 inspections and the volumes of regs you have to follow there...I am pretty new to the area and trying to learn when I fly myself out and about...

Default Flashing Badges

I guess the badges make them feel important, kinda of funny actually, but the reason they do site visits is to see who is doing business in the borough so they can collect fees from them. I do agree that the 135 guys have a lot of reg's but they are for our safety.

Terry

Met some great people, had lot of fun, brought some great meat home, and learned alot. Talk about priceless!
    that pretty much sums it up! nice hunt and congrats!

Nice job! The Citabria is such a great little airplane, really does a good job when used correctly.

Oh yeah, HOW ABOUT SOME PICS???

not to steal the post but Im just curious, if i was to get dropped off by a friend and offered to pay for his gas, would he need a transporter license?

Default Friends

Your friend can legally take you if you split gas and oil. With things being so crazy, I keep reciepts case they try and say he in doing commercial work.

Terry

Terry
    Glad to hear you had a good hunt! Maybe next year I will be able to fly up with you and work my own hunt out of it. I think the tanker/cargo truck is the way to go. Any pic’s to post?

As for the FAA regs I have been told by the FAA folks here in ANC if ANYONE pays for any part of your flying it can be considered a profitable event for you as the pilot. I had a great deal of heartburn with this but the lady examiner was sticking to her guns. In order to avoid and conflict I cover all of the aircraft cost while my partner covers the camp supplies. If there is a difference at the end of the day we simply settle up with beers. I am sure some folks on here can answer (chapter and verse) the FAA reg that covers this.

Drew

Default Expenses

Toddler, this is what I've always been told and here is the FAR

FAR 61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees

Hope this clears it up, just keep good records. My trip took about 210 gallons, and one quart of oil for 25 hours.

Terry

Default sheeeh,don't ssay anything

The easy way to answer this issuie is just don't answer any question , JUST say NO, I pay for everything. If you are flying anyone that feels they must talk to the fed's maybe one would need to look for someone they can trust to hunt with or get a transporter lic.. As a pilot you know when you are commerically operating and when you are just private flying, and if as Terry, you are legal, don't give some idiot fed a chance to make a name for there ego, hush is the word. The joke that alway caused a laugh at work, HI i'm with the FAA and I'm here to help!

Default FAA

I always thought it was “We’re from the FAA and we’re not happy unless your not happy”

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Toddler, this is what I've always been told and here is the FAR

FAR 61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees

Hope this clears it up, just keep good records. My trip took about 210 gallons, and one quart of oil for 25 hours.

Terry
    For the record: I took one passenger to court because he renegged on his deal to share the operating costs with me. Those costs include: gas, oil, tiedown, maintenance, insurance, replacement costs, etc. "Share the expenses" means [in a court of law] the sharing of ALL expenses!

Unless the FARs have changed, that is . . . . .

Default Flirting with disaster

You have to be very careful with that one, that FAR is very open to interpratation by the FAA. Your better off keeping everthing to one's self or by splitting costs in another way. One would think that if Me as a PP and my long time hunting buddy who do all thier hunting together, planned to go to the same spot for the same reason would be within the intent of that FAR, just like two guys going golfing in the next state.

The FAA is being infiltrated by TSA (The Reichs Ministry for the Suppression of Free Travel) in their mindset and probably via regulation.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

yes, he would have to pay the same amount that you do, you can split the gas, but only if he would be going there anyway

aleast thats how I understand the far's

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A couple of days ago I got back from a caribou hunting/flying trip up to the arctic. It was a great experience and my tricked out 7GCBC did a great job. We hunted not to far from Kavik, down in a creek bed and transported our meat back to Happy Valley. My partner and I shot 4 medium sized meat bulls all with-in 400 yards of the plane. Because of the less than 300 foot strip(sloping and water on both ends) and warm weather, played it safe taking lighter loads out than I would of preferred(one bou at a time). Chase truck and 120 gallons of fuel made the truck possible. Next time I will have a sat phone for safety(wife says). The weather went from snowing one morning to 65 degrees two days later. Feds were present and hit one the commerical 135 guys in a husky for inspection violations and left alot of very mad customers stuck there. They also busted an outlaw transporter the day we got back into Happy Valley, according to one of the other operators. The north slope commerce people was there flashing badges and asking alot of questions to see if we were private indivuals or was transporting/guiding so they could collect fees. The hundreds of hours practicing and playing at Knik helped alot. Met some great people, had lot of fun, brought some great meat home, and learned alot. Talk about priceless!
    OK I need some help here. Why transport meat from Kavik to Happy vally? What is a chase truck and where was it?

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    You have to be very careful with that one, that FAR is very open to interpratation by the FAA. Your better off keeping everthing to one's self or by splitting costs in another way. One would think that if Me as a PP and my long time hunting buddy who do all thier hunting together, planned to go to the same spot for the same reason would be within the intent of that FAR, just like two guys going golfing in the next state.
    There is only ONE interpretation of the owner/pilot's expenses: his hourly costs to own, insure, maintain, and operate the plane. The only variable will be the number of annual hours flown. a 100-hour year would arrive at a lower per-hour "expense" than would a 200-hour year.