Thread: DC590 Updates?

Question DC590 Updates?

Looking for any updates from others pursuing Caribou in 14B.

I went on a solo scouting/hunting trip a couple weeks back and saw neither hide nor hair. I rode in 20 miles on the wheeler and hiked in about another 4 miles to a spot historically known to contain caribou, but none as of yet.

I was trying to get in before activity levels jump during moose season (now) but I think it might have been a little too early.

Any one else have any luck or done any scouting as of yet? I will pobably head back out next week, I am trying to not do a fly-in drop off hunt at this point .

Default Caribou Any one?

Isn't any one of the 250 drawing permit holders looking for caribou in 14B?

Anyone??

Default There are some caribou there

My boy drew a DC590 tag this year. We did a fly in and he shot a small bull near Wells Mountian on August 14th.

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Dead bou!

I did a fly in and was successful. It wasn't all that easy though, too many planes and too many other hunters or joy riders. It was quite the circus. I had enough of the people and called just to get out. I sat at the air strip waiting to be picked up when I spotted the only caribou I had seen. I ranged it and couldn't get any closer and shot it at 500 yds. I really lucked out with a nice bull double shovels, the works. It wasn't very heavy or giant but a nice bou. I don't think I will apply for this one again.

Default Nice Ones

akspt, Gameon375, Congrats on your successes!

Gameon375, would you say that there were too many people in one area due to a limited number of locations for a plane to land? Or maybe the same charter dropping too many in one spot?

Who did you both use for the drop off, and I've been quoted about $600 for the Iron Creek area, that sound about right?

Thanks-

Default Charter for DC590

Used Hudson Air, They are a great outfit. We saw no other hunters or planes in our area porbably due to the horrible weather that grounded everyone in talkeetna the 14th, 15th and 16th. Price sounds about the same as what I was quoted per person.

I had one spot in mind near Iron Creek but when I flew in someone was already there. From what I saw there was limited places to land and that was the reason for all the company. I'm sure there are spots that you could find away from others. I could have wormed in on the guys in the spot I wanted to go but that's not my style. Like I said, I only saw one caribou but the people sure found me. As for transportation I have a friend that is a great cub pilot, I payed for gas and gave him some meat, good luck!