Thread: Hunting Rifles?

Default Hunting Rifles?

I am looking to get a decent quality and priced used rifle for some deer hunting this year. I have no clue what is and isn't good when it comes to rifles. Iíve found some hunting rifles at http://www.pennysaverusa.com/categor...w-us/radius-1/. If someone of you have used this website and tell me if is any good?

You don't list your location (user CP if you want to change that), and that makes a difference. As you said deer hunting, I'll assume you're CONUS, but shipping can still run anywhere from $25-$100 depending on who's doing the shipping and how much they want to gouge you. Another problem with buying a used rifle online is that you don't get to see and feel the gun. Sometimes that makes a big difference.

I would suggest you just visit a local gunshop and make your first purchase there. I know some of them can be rough the first time you walk in, and newbies to the shooting and hunting world can sometimes feel as if they're being talked down to by the shop workers, but that's just something we all had to get past at one point or another. Be open about your skill level, experience, and your intentions, and once they determine you're serious about hunting and shooting they should go out of their way to help and point you down the right path. In honesty, the future of their business depends on people like you taking an active interest in our sport! If you don't like the treatment from one shop, go to another.

Happy Hunting,

-Adam

Find a good local store that will show you what you need and start by purchasing a nice Savage and go from there.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    ...a nice Savage...
    Does such a thing exist?

I know people dog the savage since they aren't really a thing of beauty and whatnot...but every rifle that I've been around has been VERY accurate. Just got a Tikka to replace my Savage 116 and I give the accuracy edge to the Savage...

Just traded another Savage 116 to a member here and he is getting less than an inch groups off the bench...not too bad for 4-5 benjies...

Default choices...

Ruger makes a goood reasonably priced rifle in .308 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Does such a thing exist?
    Ok, Ok, I deserved that! I love beautiful rifles. And as I age I sometimes value there looks beyond how accurate they are as well.
    But I gotta tell you I have owned about a half dozen Savage centerfires and every one of them was a sub moa rifle out of the box with minimum load developement.
    Last year I purchased a .223 Savage to carry in the boat if a wolf ever attacks me and it shoots under .5 all day long at 100 yards.
    Ugly yes, but they sure do shoot and they feed and eject every time and the Accu trigger is superb. Personally I would buy a Savage over a Remington.
    Tennessee

Both good, valid points. I've only had one Savage that didn't shoot, and that was a 110E in 270 Win. 3-4" at 50yds. Gunshop took it back and the replacement shot just fine.

I know they're accurate, and the price is right, but man they sure are UGLY!

It's a sad state of affairs when I'd agree with you about buying a new Savage over a new Remington.

The older Remingtons were put together so nicely, and shot so well...and the stocks, especially the non-lacquer finish, were really nice to hold and look at. All the old Savages had horrible stock/receiver fit, and I've seen more wood grain in a discount-bin 2"x4"! Put aside appearances though, and they both shot very well right out of the box and were a pretty decent dollar value for what you received. It's too bad the same can't be said of Remington today.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Just got a Tikka to replace my Savage 116 and I give the accuracy edge to the Savage
    Tikka quality has been sliding downhill since they were acquired by Beretta. My older Tikkas (595/695) shot very well, and were comparably priced with the bottom-end Rugers and Remingtons. I liked the action a great deal, and the stock was very well designed. It was more comfortable shooting my Tikka .338 Win Mag than a friend's Winchester 70 in 30-06. Unfortunately, the new T-3 is just a cost-saving rendition of the 595/695 with a lighter, smaller stock and a higher price tag. It's still a decent gun, and my personal preference would mean I'd buy it over a Savage, but they're just not the same quality of rifle as was imported by Stoeger 8-10 years ago.

I guess Beretta figures they've been in the business since 1564, so they can fall back on the namebrand to make a few bucks, even if it means sacrificing the quality and good name of a formerly reputable firearms company.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I guess Beretta figures they've been in the business since 1564, so they can fall back on the namebrand to make a few bucks, even if it means sacrificing the quality and good name of a formerly reputable firearms company.
    Yeah, two Beretta products for me. The Tikka and a Stoeger shotgun. From what I hear, I hope I dont have any problems with them...or have ot aquire parts...hearing it can be difficult...

Thanks for advice. I've done as you recommend.

Just saw this thread.

I don't own one, but I've heard the Weatherby Vanguard's are one of the best deals at the low end.

See, e.g.: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=141824188

OR: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=141824186

A brand new standard or magnum rifle with a proven action for $360.

If anyone has had any bad experiences with a Vanguard, feel free to correct my misperception, because I'm just aware of them second hand.