Thread: 270 WSM help needed

Default 270 WSM help needed

Okay, I have a 270 WSM that, with factory ammo of all kinds is a tackdriver. Nothing grouped over an inch and most were under half that. Unfortunately I have not had so much success with loads of my own. I've tried Barnes, Hornady, Speer, Nosler and Swift. I've used different powders of various charges. I've tinkered with the primers, seating depth and crimp.

I need some help here. If there's a pet load that someone has, please share. Feel free to PM me with any info if you don't care to post it.

As a side note, I've been reloading for 17 years and am by no means a rookie but I don't claim to know everything.

Thanks for any help that may be offered.

I've had great luck with Winchester Brass, Federal 215M primers, Reloder 17 powder, and 140 Grain Nosler Accubonds. Shoots under an inch off the bench with my Sako 85 stainless synthetic, velocity of 3100 fps over the chrony. Best of luck on your hunt for the perfect load.

DS

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we just finished a load for that yesterday...

Nosler 150 yellow Ballistic tips

winchester brass

CCI LRM

58.5 gn RL19

in a Browning a bolt

3 holes covered wit a quarter at 100.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not sure if this will help or not. Most overbore cases derive there best accuracy when loaded to the safe max. This often gets overlooked as most reloaders want a prudent safe load with long case life. We can have a safe max load at the expense of case life.
    Try increasing your loads till you have obvious high pressure signs.
    Good Luck!
    Tennessee

Thanks for the input folks. I've experienced sticky bolts, cratered primers and bright spots on the case heads but no split necks yet, thankfully. I'll try some of the loads listed and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you may be loading to hot! Back off a couple of grains and shoot 4-5 groups allowing the rifle to cool down in between groups.
    Tennessee

Not sure why no one has mentioned this, but.....if it is a "tack driver with factory ammo", why not just use factory ammo, at least until you can cook up a good home brew?

That's what I'm doing but sooner or later I'm going to run out of factory ammo and really don't like paying the price they want for it. As for loading too hot, I start with the minimum load listed and increase by 1/2 grain. I load 10 rounds of each load, shoot from a clean barrel with the first shot to "dirty" it up a bit and shoot 3, three shot groups allowing the barrel to cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Not sure why no one has mentioned this, but.....if it is a "tack driver with factory ammo", why not just use factory ammo, at least until you can cook up a good home brew?

I shoot a 130gr HDY Interbond with 73gr's of MAGPRO, Winchester Nickel Cases, and CCI 250's. They shoot under an inch at 100 and just about as well at 200. I haven't really experimented too much with other bullets, but my 270WSM is the same way with factory ammo, it shoots it all really well. Check out Magpro for your 270, it is made for the WSM and really performs well with the 270. Scotty

B, I've tried Magpro with the Interbonds but couldn't get what I wanted out of it so it's off to the range tomorrow with 3 different charges of Magpro over 130 TSX's. That and the 4 loads for the 300 should keep me there most of the day.

Thanks for the tip though.

The TTSX is a pretty awesome bullet also. I just used the HDY since that was what was available when I was loading. I did load some TTSX for a 270 Win with H4831 and it was really accurate in a brand new rifle. Plus it has excellent performance for the size. Scotty

RL 17, H4350, H4831sc

And so the Magpro/TSX combo turns up nothing that strikes my interest. On to some other powder options with the TSX's. The 300WM however seems to really like the 200 grain TBBC's with H 1000. Only problem is the fact that I have only 2 boxes of them (they are only sold in boxes of 25) and I don't want to foot the bill for more. I got these pretty cheap a couple years ago.

So the powder change is on for the TSX's and if that doesn't work I'll change bullets again. The real benefiet is that I'm getting a ton of trigger time!

If Magpro isn't doing what you want, R19 or Maybe R22 would do it for you. I know the 270WSM isn't really fussy with what it likes most of the time and most loads produce excellent speeds. Also, if you aren't stuck on the Barnes TSX check out the Nosler Accubonds, I haven't found one that doesn't shoot well, and my load with the HDY Interbonds is very consistent. Good luck, this is half the fun. Scotty

Thumbs up Reloader 22

http://www.realguns.com/loads/270wsm.htm

Reloader 22 works great in the 270 WSM.