Thread: My son's first Ptarmigan!

Default My son's first Ptarmigan!

I'm home on R&R leave from Afghanistan, and I went on a hunting trip with a friend from my unit. We both took our sons along, my 9 year-old and his 12 year-old. We went to Cache Creek area, and had tags for everything in season. We didn't see any big game whatsoever. There were tracks and scat from bear and moose, but no animals to be found after three days of diligent glassing. So we decided to act on a tip from a fellow hunter and jumped on the fourwheelers for a ride to the high country in search of Ptarmigan.

My son had yet to shoot any game until a couple of days ago. Needless to say, I was extremely proud of him when he fired two shots from his Mossberg Model 505 youth .410, accounting for two ptarmigan at 30+ yards, both times. Between the four of us, we bagged eleven birds and had a Ptarmigan feast at camp that night. Here are a couple of photos. I'm a proud dad!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Dude thats awesome. Hope ya'll find a bigger critter before heading back.And hopefully I can find me some of them spotted phased tundra chickens soon.

Congrats! Small game hunting with the family is a blast. I hope to be posting Pics of Tracy's first harvest soon and our son Gunther's in a few years!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Sweet

Great for you guys! Great for the boys! Great for the sport!

Thumbs up

A big congrats to the youngsters! Great pics as well. I remember my son's first grouse taken with his .410 on a short flush. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face for days. Now his bird hangs proudly in our cabin for all to see.

Looks like you all had a great trip.

Soldier, that is AWESOME. My boy turns 2 next month...so I guess I'm a bit out there but cant wait!

Thumbs up WTG Soldier!

You have plenty to be proud of! There is nothing more rewarding to me is a story like this. WTG!

Default Congrats

Congrats to the boys and thier proud papas! Glad you were able to make it safely back for some R&R and enjoy the outdoors with family and friends. Hope that after the R&R is over you don't have too long before you return and enjoy some more. May you, and all our men and women of our armed forces, be safe and return home soon! Thank you for your service!

Tom

Default Welcome home...

...and thanks for serving. I can't think of a better way to spend your R&R than taking your son out for this great experience. Hope you find something bigger.

My company has me rotating home in the next few days and I hope to have a very similar pic up w/ my oldest boy (7) in the next couple weeks! Awesome story and congrats on leave well spent!

Default Good times...

Memorable trip for 2 boys and their Dads.
    Great pictures.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I just got back from another trip to the same area with the whole family this time. We rented a cabin from Cache Creek Cabins, near Petersville. Awesome folks there and a great place to stay. I highly recommend it if anyone is looking for warm diggs in hunting/fishing/prospecting country.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.