Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rack size

Default rack size

When do you start/stop getting picky about the size of the rack?
    New hunters just want to get any size, older hunters just want it for the meat. When do you turn from the new any size, to the "I want to wait for the trophy" guy? I have never shot a moose over 36". There I said it. But I have shot alot of moose. How hard is it to go from that guy to that guy? My intent is to hold out this year for a big one to hang over my shop. But I said that last year as well. Has any one else been in my shoes or am I the only one in north pole that has never got a BIG moose? And how hard is it to really pass on a moose for that just in case factor?
    I hope to enjoy your posts and good luck this year.
    Robbie

I have no choice in most places I am at... It's either over 50 or a spike fork. I have no issues shooting anything with enough brow tines. For me, if it's legal it's going in the freezer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default good point

I try to hunt in any bull area but even in rack restricted area I still come up short(spike). Get a moose 5 out of the last 6 years, but all small.

I'm not picky either. The meat in the freezer doesn't know the rack isn't on the wall.

I have never passed on a legal bull. I have been fortunate to find a couple bruisers. A moose is to valuable a protein commodity, even if I give much away to family and Friends. I'll pass on Caribou or bears but never a moose.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

When do you start getting picky about the size of the rack?

When it's 7:30 and I'm on my first drink.

When do you stop getting picky about the size of the rack?

When it's 11:30 and she says yes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

When do you start/stop getting picky about the size of the rack
    after my 30th birth day

My intent is to hold out this year for a big one to hang over my shop.
    don't give up a gift moose. for a larger rack. i have found that the rack size is completely indicative to a bad taste in the mouth and to much competition by other hunters trying to steal it away.

How hard is it to go from that guy to that guy?

When your old enough to afford to.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default stay the course?

I know it is early in the thread but what I gather is stay the course and eventually I will get a good sized one? Notice I did not say just good one cause they were all good fried with garlic, onions, and mashed potatoes

I have always been a " first legal moose goes down" kind of hunter. 07' happened to be a huge bodied 58" bull as the first legal bull I encountered.I was pleased of course, I had wondered for years if ever I would take a BIG moose, 07 it happened but I do still wonder and hope to break that 60" barrier that is so elusive.

The only time I have had the opportunity to be choosy was a flyout dropoff hunt during the heyday of the mulchatna caribou herd. I was seeing thousands of caribou daily and I had 13 days to hunt.

I took two bulls that scored 390 and 356 respectively. Those 13 days was an awesome experience.

Anyhow back to moose, I hunt for the experience and the meat, getting a biggie or trophy, hell being successful in general, is a bonus for me.

To answer your ? directly.. I can only say that a certain % will take that approach due to availability of $$$ and or ego, professional hunters for example I perceive to be that way for it furthers there success ($income$ and reputation for example). Afterall a PH that can't provide trophy class game for a high % of their clients ( be they sponsors or paying hunters) will have a short career. It is a generalisation but it holds some merit.

On a personal level I have never felt the need or desire to do what you are asking aside from the example I have given.

So this season if it is a spike/fork or a 50"+ bull the first one I see that I can take, I will. That is how I hunt and I don't expect it will change.

Like most, I've also shot the first legal moose I've seen. My partner and I have discussed this and both agreed that we'd like to anchor one (regardless of size) instead of passing on dinner for the year! We hunt too hard to come home empty handed.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    When do you start/stop getting picky about the size of the rack?
    New hunters just want to get any size, older hunters just want it for the meat. When do you turn from the new any size, to the "I want to wait for the trophy" guy? I have never shot a moose over 36". There I said it. But I have shot alot of moose. How hard is it to go from that guy to that guy? My intent is to hold out this year for a big one to hang over my shop. But I said that last year as well. Has any one else been in my shoes or am I the only one in north pole that has never got a BIG moose? And how hard is it to really pass on a moose for that just in case factor?
    I hope to enjoy your posts and good luck this year.
    Robbie
    I've never past a legal bull. One of the many lessons my old man taught me. You may only be fortunate enough to have one chance at a legal bull during a hunting season. Don't pass. That being said, I have been very lucky in the past with the bulls that have presented themselves for the shot! I have the trophy of a lifetime on the wall, so its a little easier said for me. Just plain luck. Enough time in the woods, the big one will present! My 2 cents.
    "One Last Cast"

I know it is early in the thread but what I gather is stay the course and eventually I will get a good sized one? Notice I did not say just good one cause they were all good fried with garlic, onions, and mashed potatoes
    Is your area heavily hunted? (Dumb question, aren't they all well-hunted?)

Maybe your area doesn't genetically grow big moose?

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so are girlfriends... it is a matter of taste.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I guess it seems to be a no brainer to me considering all the experience from yall

Default ok

I love it
    nice to hear back again

Good luck this year vince

Robbie

I love it
    nice to hear back again

Good luck this year vince

Robbie
    you too bud... will swing by here soon...

meet on face book here

Any rack is fine with-in the law and a barren doe eats as good as a buck if allowed

I prefer to look for bigger more mature animals for the fact that this usually takes longer and keeps me in the field a lot longer than shooting the first animal I see. There's nothing worse than filling your tag the first day or two then having to sit around the rest of the season. If it comes down to the last couple days then it turns into "quick I need some meat" but the longer i can hold out the more time i get to spend outside which is the real reason i'm out there if i don't shoot anything then so be it.

I was lucky when I was 13, shot a 64" bull with 4' palms. ( that is it in my avator)

Have shot 16 since, 5 more were over 62".

Give me a 30" anytime now, hate to deal with those big ones, and the meat is alot better on the small ones.

( and yes for those of you that are looking at the rack in the picture, it hung outside for 22 years before i did something with it. It shrank 7" both ways.)

Out of all of them its the only one I have left.

Largest one I've shot had a 47.5" rack, next was 40.5", all lower then that. Can't eat them, just be something else to shoot a 60"+ someday, lol.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast