Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 5 wt ideas?

Default New 5 wt ideas?

I'm a bit torn about a replacement for my main 5 wt and my now defunct 4 wt. I'm torn between the TFO Kreh professional, the St. Croix Avid, and a couple of the Scott's.

I have a few of the St. Croix Avid's and have been very satisfied with the quality and warranty for the price. I only have one Scott rod and it cost as much as two St. Croix, but it's sweet. The TFO Kreh Pro and Ti Cr X both come highly recommended but I haven't cast either one.

What do you guys recommend? I'd be using it primarily for 'bows with the occasional silver. I'm set on saltwater rods so this is mostly for fall and spring 'bows and Dollies (Kenai Pen and valley streams, plus some Bristol Bay stuff ).

For the 4 wt, I'm looking for a 5 piece or 7 piece that I can keep in my truck all the time. Any good ideas? Warranty is a big thing as I'm now stuck with a dead 4 and 5 that I can't fix.

Thanks!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I'm a bit torn about a replacement for my main 5 wt and my now defunct 4 wt. I'm torn between the TFO Kreh professional, the St. Croix Avid, and a couple of the Scott's.

I have a few of the St. Croix Avid's and have been very satisfied with the quality and warranty for the price. I only have one Scott rod and it cost as much as two St. Croix, but it's sweet. The TFO Kreh Pro and Ti Cr X both come highly recommended but I haven't cast either one.

What do you guys recommend? I'd be using it primarily for 'bows with the occasional silver. I'm set on saltwater rods so this is mostly for fall and spring 'bows and Dollies (Kenai Pen and valley streams, plus some Bristol Bay stuff ).

For the 4 wt, I'm looking for a 5 piece or 7 piece that I can keep in my truck all the time. Any good ideas? Warranty is a big thing as I'm now stuck with a dead 4 and 5 that I can't fix.

Thanks!

I love my lefty 6 wt bud. It has slayed the reds all year and is banging trout now. Just my 1/2 cent worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

For a decent, but affordable travel rod, look at the 5 and/or 7 piece Cabelas (Prestige perhaps) rods. Not sure what the warranty says, maybe a year or two. But I have had Cabelas replace rods past that point on two occassions. Great customer service there. Also, I have a 4 wt 7 piece Orvis travel rod. Medium action like the Cabelas, but very portable of course. Not sure on the warranty though. Likely 1-5 years.

For a nice 5 wt, I say Scott A3. Just ordered another 10' 7 wt myself from Yagers Fly Shop. Nice website and good folks. I have a TFO Lefty Kreh 10' 7 wt that the Scott replaced. Apples and oranges. But surely great rods for the money.

Also, the Wright & McGill "Flygirl" rods are on sale. Pretty purple things they are

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default TFO TiCrX...

in 5 wt has been good to me for 5 years now.
    It's stiff, fast action, which I like especially for weighted flies, wind, etc.
    But casting feel seems an individual preference thing.

Just learned something new, how overweighting can change the way a rod loads . One day on a recent group float, I used a different reel with 6wt line. The rod loaded easier, which made throwing lighter egg and flesh patterns easier. Overweighting the rod improved the performance of the rod for that job. Fun too.

I now see the faster action rods as more versatile. I've thrown the SC Avid, which has a softer action to me. Judging from your comments, you lean to the Scott rods a bit. The years of satisfaction casting a rod with a "sweet" action might make it a real value. Good luck.

Thanks Guys.
    Dan, the Cabelas rods that I have purchased in the past (6 in total) are all in the trash. They don't stand up to fishing several days per week, week after week.

Chuck, it's good to hear about the TFO. I didn't know that's what you were fishing. Which rod are you flipping?
    Wasn't June's rod the TFO Breasteses rod? It felt pretty nice.

6X, it's good to hear about the TiCrX. I have been eyeballing that rod for the last few weeks. For the price (and with a lifetime warranty) it seems like a great deal.

I've got a St. Croix Reign and swear by it.

Same rod you used on our Kenai float Phish, as well as the one I was tagging char with last week on the Togiak.

Whatever ya do, get a 4 pc. <grin> it do pack nicer in rafts and planes....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks Guys.
    Dan, the Cabelas rods that I have purchased in the past (6 in total) are all in the trash. They don't stand up to fishing several days per week, week after week.

Chuck, it's good to hear about the TFO. I didn't know that's what you were fishing. Which rod are you flipping?
    Wasn't June's rod the TFO Breasteses rod? It felt pretty nice.

6X, it's good to hear about the TiCrX. I have been eyeballing that rod for the last few weeks. For the price (and with a lifetime warranty) it seems like a great deal.

Im flipping the lefty 8'6 6 wt and love it. That is what i used on the reds all season and was banging bows with last weekend. Im looking forward to using it all fall

You just said junes breaststness's felt nice I like that

Oh and a St Croix is an awesome rod. I have not fished anything but my 8wt but I have had it 12 years and it has a butt load of red under it

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Whatever ya do, get a 4 pc. <grin> it do pack nicer in rafts and planes....
    I'll never live down stuffing the two piece into the Widgeon will I?

It felt nice being the only one out of 5 guys with a two piece.

I'm definately buying 4 pieces for everything but big salt rods from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    You just said junes breaststness's felt nice I like that
    Oops, did I type that out loud?

Umm, errr, how would I know, ummm, errrr, ?

I'll never live down stuffing the two piece into the Widgeon will I?

You're lucky that it was still a 2 piece after that landing (or landings to be more precise)......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Freshwater Air, guaranteed to make you appreciate waders while still in the plane

I can't find my card reader. As soon as I do, I'll send you the vid of the Widgeon landing and the pic of the 28"er.

Yeah, they are not top shelf stuff. But you mentioned a 7 pc rod and the only two I know of are Cabelas and Orvis. I throw them in the saddle bags of the Harley. Maybe in a weekend bag I toss the 7 pc rod in "just in case". Casual fishing here and there. If fishing as much as you will be doing, I would not be looking at 7 piece rods. Personally, I don't know of any high quality 7 pc rods.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Echo

Phish,
    Take a look at Echo rods. They make a rod called the Echo Trip, and it is a 8 piece, 8'6" 4wt. For the 5wt, take a look at the Echo Carbon series. I have a couple of TFO rods, and think they are a nice rod for the money, and a month ago they would have been my recommendation for what you are looking for. last month I bought a 10ft 6wt Echo Ion. It is the same price as most of the TFO rods, and IMO, it is a much better rod. It also comes with a rod tube and sock, not just the sock like TFO. If you want to take a look at any of the Echo rods, World Wide carries them.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Thanks Jake, I'll give them a look.

Dan, I may consider another 5 piece. I kept a few 5 piece Cabelas rods for a long time but they kept breaking.

The TFO's come with tubes as well, I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone ever have a warranty issue with TFO?

Default Rods

Those choices are ok but you can get much more rod if you build one..Batson has a great deal on rx7+ blanks made by St croix though...blanks are $130 and you can get some componets and build a rod leaps and bounds of a avid series..This blanks builds a rod that would be in the $600 range if bought from a factory build

If you never built one try it it is easy..no big deal

You can try Serria trading post for rod deals..they have Scott on sale i think still great prices..

Check out Hook&hackle.com for kits & Anglersden on ebay

I'll consider building a few rods this winter. I want a new five weight tomorrow morning

Fish on!!!

The TFO's come with tubes as well, I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone ever have a warranty issue with TFO?

Mine did not and I had to order one ($25) from them. As for warranty issues, I have heard nothing but good things. No doubt one of the reasons these are such popular rods. Sounds like they really stand behind their product line. One side note on multi piece rods, consider waxing the ferrules if you don't already. This has many purposes. One being that it prevents sand from scratching the inside of the female end, which leads to premature cracks and ultimately breakage. Seems logical enough at any rate. Also, it keeps the rods together tight without using as much force while pushing/twisting sections together.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post

You can try Serria trading post for rod deals..they have Scott on sale i think still great prices..
    Unfortunately, that is never going to happen. If you ever see Scott rods on STP, please send me a PM immediately

They do have Powell rods though and my buddy got one for a float on the Goodnews a few years back. The Powell Advantage it was called. Incredible rod at its price point. Under $100, med/fast action, well made, came in a tube. I was impressed. Looks like this is the new version of that rod. At $99, it is worth taking a look at perhaps. I know the Powell rod my buddy got was a great casting rod. Never seen anything like it in that price range. Felt like a $200-300 rod to be honest. We contacted Powell at the time and the warranty was a lifetime replacement for $45 or something like that. Food for thought at any rate.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...8217;-5wt.html

Pretty sure they still only ship with a sock and not a tube! I know there are a bunch of TFO fans on here and I've owned their rods, but I think you can find something of better quality for similar money. The cork is marginal, reel seats are cheap, ferrules (although strong) are downright ugly and the rods are heavy for their line weight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast