Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score!!

Default Score!!

I spotted a sweet deal on a Polaris 90 the other day and managed to convince the wife to fork over the money and go pick it up. So now my spoiled kids have again capitalized on the guilt of a dad that works too much. Not to brag but I am stoked....$500!!

Sweet! You just made many "my dad is cool" points

My kids had the biggest feces-eating grin for days. Priceless.

Default My kids hate you...

I saw the same listing (CL last Sunday night in Palmer right!) and went after it but no luck.

L-U-J-O-N-!-!-! (shaking my fists)

good score man!

Default Question?

What year is it? How old are your kids (if you don't mind)? Mine are 6 & 9 and I figured the 90 would fit the 9 year old fine but may be a little big for the 6 year old.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What year is it? How old are your kids (if you don't mind)? Mine are 6 & 9 and I figured the 90 would fit the 9 year old fine but may be a little big for the 6 year old.

Tim
    I know you're asking LuJon but just because I've been looking into this pretty seriously lately, I'll post up as well. Have a 9 year old and it's perfect for her. Her younger sister (5 almost 6) wouldn't be on it (alone anyways) for a couple more years although the sportsman 90 is easy to steer, even for a little one.

Hmmm..is it bad I upgraded the 9 year old to a rancher420 this year?

My 9 year old drives my 500 Rubicon around the cabin too (slowly) but I won't let her out on the trails with it. She's spent the last four years slowly getting experience with it in first gear with me on board so this year she's worked up to helping around the yard with it.

I kind of wish it was an auto clutch manual but I believe this model is a full auto. My wife who is somewhat more protective (momma-bear!) than I took it out yesterday and I got a rather concerned email back. Something along the line of "You want our kids to ride this thing!?! It is &^()*%& FAST!" I got her calmed down though and assured her that I will be going through it and tweaking it to take some of the power out.

I have thought a lot about what wheelers to get the kids. I will be honest a limited budget has been a big factor! Last year I picked the kids up a pair of broken LT80's as projects for $250. I have not really started on them but after thorough inspections it has become pretty obvious that I can take the 2 and make 1 good one but trying to get them both up and running would be cost prohibitive leaving one of the boys on foot or relegated to passenger status. This led to a very careful vulture like circling of C/L for the last 5 months......untill Sunday!

The kids are both boys 5 and 7. The LT80 is for the 5 year old but he is not the normal 5yo, he is not especially big but he is unusually strong and tough. The 7 year old takes after me and is pretty tall. I am definately not turning them loose to run and the plan is to get them out riding jims w/ a throttle limiter and staying out of the hills for the time being. The good thing about these larger wheelers is that my wife or I can sit on the back for some coaching. The downfall is that they are a little heavier and faster out of the box.

One thing that my dad "learned" me early on whith wheelers is that YOU are the most valuable thing on it! If it starts to flip or roll don't worry about the wheeler just get clear of it!! I remember when I rolled our old Polaris 300 and came home w/ bars looking like an old Schwin he just came out, asked me if I was ok and started taking stock of the things I was going to have to replace. Oddly enough when I rolled our Toyota pickup he again just asked me if I was ok and never did get the slightest bit angry, the only punishment I got out of that incident was going from a partially restored 85 toy (new paint 2 weeks before accident) to driving an 83 Honda Civic hatchback to school.

my 9 years old son own 250 ds can am he can ride on it bez he is smart he is not kind of race something like that he loves go ride on trail and open with us

I think my daughter would take to a '90 sportsman well, she has some good Polaris 120 sno-go time to her credit. Same with the 6 y/o; he's loves anything with an engine and wants a motorcycle, but has less 120 riding time. I don't know who makes a small-ish size motorcycle. Honda use to. The 80cc yamaha's I've seen are too big looking. Not sure. I think he'll do fine on a 90 sportsman after a little coaching from his brother (17) on the back.

Tim

Default I don't know if the lead

thing that wiped out ATVs under 90cc went for small bikes for sure, but I think it did.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I think my daughter would take to a '90 sportsman well, she has some good Polaris 120 sno-go time to her credit. Same with the 6 y/o; he's loves anything with an engine and wants a motorcycle, but has less 120 riding time. I don't know who makes a small-ish size motorcycle. Honda use to. The 80cc yamaha's I've seen are too big looking. Not sure. I think he'll do fine on a 90 sportsman after a little coaching from his brother (17) on the back.

Tim
    yammi had the pw 50 and honda had the z50 and suzuki had their own version too, they were all entirely too much fun! I had a friend who had 4 or 5 of em laying around and durring my later teen year we used to ummm test our "tolerance" while racing around a loop in his back yard, only rule was no rules, full contact!! Heck do something like that today and you would be visiting a judge then trying to figure out how to mount an interlock device on your kids mini zinger.

Cool deal, LuJon!

Got the kids a 50cc bike a while back and sold it because it was WAY too big for the 1-2 y/o's!! They're going to stick with the electric one for now but I think my spoiled ones might bet a 120 this year....sno-cross for the little guys is coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Cool deal, LuJon!

Got the kids a 50cc bike a while back and sold it because it was WAY too big for the 1-2 y/o's!! They're going to stick with the electric one for now but I think my spoiled ones might bet a 120 this year....sno-cross for the little guys is coming up!
    That is something I have been thinking hard about getting into! The early years don't look to bad but man oh man if they get into it and start doing well it would cost a fortune once they moved up to real sleds

Post stolen property

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I spotted a sweet deal on a Polaris 90 the other day and managed to convince the wife to fork over the money and go pick it up. So now my spoiled kids have again capitalized on the guilt of a dad that works too much. Not to brag but I am stoked....$500!!
    You stole it - nice work.

In the coming year I'm looking for similar for my youngest - he's 4 and has had an electric 4wheeler for two years now. Just something to get him down Eklutna trail (road) and to the dipnet spots. I hope to do as well as you did.

Thats sweet Lujon! I had one of those for my kids a while back as well. Now they both moved up to full sized machines and have make lots of memories over the years! Wouldnt trade it for anything!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

If you don't mind my asking, LuJon, how did the rig turn out? Good shape? What year? Have to do much repair or is it even kid-ready yet? Just interested in what you managed to steal!

I havn't seen it yet since I am still in the sandbox. I should be home VERY soon though. My cousin and wife went to take a look at it and basically it fired right up and ran without any issues. The plastic seems to be in pretty good shape. Wife says the owners were over critical about every flaw w/ the rig. I was impressed w/ their honesty though because they claimed to have another offer of 2x what we paid but told them that they had already sold it! So far we han't let the kids on it cause the wife wante me to look it over first.

I started racing suzuki 50's when I was 5 and started on the 60's at 6. By 9, I was racing 80's and spent quite a bit of time on 125's. Had a 3 wheeler for getting around the farm pretty early as well.

I did break a few (well, quite a few) bones.

I had a great lesson. While learning to hit double jumps, I ate it hard. Laying on the ground and crying, my mom walks over and says, "If you ever cry from an accident again, I'll sell your bikes". Problem solved. No more tears were shed.

I had to finish a race at High Falls in Ga with a broken ulna. My mom was pissed that I fell to fifth place. When I told her my arm was broken, she laughed. Then I showed her.

I didn't get to finish the other motos that day.

Dirtbikes and quads make kids tougher. If you do the Dr. Spock thing and never allow kids to experience life for themselves, your kids will be wussies. Learning to get up after a wicked spill is a wonderful life lesson IMHO!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Yeah I started on an 80 at 7. It was the old DS series w/ the double shock rear. The rear swing arm was so short the bike was always trying to drive out from under you. It was shockingly easy to get the front off the ground! I too had a mess of wrecks but no racing for me. I think I would have enjoyed doing hair scrambles but I am not a huge fan of motocross. I stepped up to a 125 @ 12 then blew up the crank bearings about the same time my dad blew out his back. So at 13 I was riding a decked out RM250 that was pretty much ready to race. I eventually rebuilt the 125 but it always felt lethargic after the 250 seat time and unlike my 125 pops back wasn't getting any better so I stuck w/ the big bike. I ended up destroying that 250 at the gravel pit on Bogard near where the seldon intersection. There is (or was) a tall hill at one end, I hit it going VERY fast and launched off the top, Got crossed up in the air and all my friends were slack jawed watching it. I managed to straighten it out for the landing but ended up setting it down on the pointy end of a large rock smashing the magnesium engine case which cost more to replace than the bike was worth so I sold it and bought a 76 camaro...

W/ kids and machines I find it funny that almost universally your level of personal injury is almost universally linked to the amount of damage your bike has sustained in the incident. I always remember limping over to my bike and checking it out before actually trying to survey my own wounds.

My favorite memories as a kid are either on a bike or in the woods, I can't imagine my child hood w/ out those aspects! Now I can't wait to make the same thing true for my boys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast