Thread: transplanting berry bushes, looking for salmon berries

Default transplanting berry bushes, looking for salmon berries

I recently transplanted 2 different strains of wild raspberries, I've been looking for salmon berries but don't see any around the Wasilla/ palmer area. In Kodiak, Valdez and Ketchikan they are everywhere.

Has anyone ever transplanted salmon berries w/ luck. Ifg you guys know where I can fing some please let me know, looking for 4-8 plants. Thanks Billy

I saw some salmon berries around the mouth of goose creek on the Parks Highway. Not enough to harvest though. Also if you have access to Elmendorf, there were some by the salmon viewing area below sixmile lake. Not sure how they would feel about you digging up plants there though. They might be eaten by bugs though. The yellow jackets are destroying the berries this year. There is a guy on the Old Glenn Highway past the Eklutna Tailrace that has lots of great Raspberries. He will sell you plants too I think. You can pick them yourself for like $4 a pound. He had some Golden Raspberries that tasted like peaches. MMMM

Here's the Raspberry Farm:

That's what she said...

Default Berries

Hey Matt
    Read closer... its a post for Salmon berries not raspberries. Sierra foxtrot

You're welcome to take everything growing in my back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Hey Matt
    Read closer... its a post for Salmon berries not raspberries. Sierra foxtrot
    Thanks mnPeanutgallerytransplant. Actually, if you read my post you might have a different tune. Well...just keeping it real. BTW do you know anywhere to find salmon berries in the Valley?
    That's what she said...

Can't help with the valley, but the trail from Indian to Indian Pass along turnagain arm has salmonberries growing right along the trail. I did hike a few miles in before really getting into the salmon berries. Another easier to access but farther drive would be the Crow Creek Mine Road in Girdwood. Lots of bushes on the side of the road.

Salmon berry plants seem to only grow naturally in areas of high rainfall. That said I'd imagine you could get them to grow in the valley.