Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting rifle in bow only

Default Shooting rifle in bow only

We are on our way back from the haul rd and are curious if there is any special permit allowing folks to shoot rifle right off the road just west of slope mt area. Will share our strange encounter once I am home and have a keyboad biiger than my blackberry--but looking for an answer if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Rifles are not legal in the DHCMA as far as I know. Trapping license or not. It's got to do with the pipeline and projectiles.

Have a safe trip,

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Dhcma

I read the regs for the DHCMA, and it makes it very clear that taking big, small and fur bearing game is by bow ONLY.

So, I think you found an illegal hunter.

Hunting by rifle, no. But to simply discharge a rifle, as per target practice... nothing to say you can't. So is it hunting or just shooting?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

From my understanding if you have a Trapping License and its during Trapping season you can shoot wolves/fox in the DHCMA.

Unless things have changed, I spoke with a couple of the troopers up there and as long as you are on a trapping license/season you can use a rifle in the corridor, for FURBEARERS ONLY. It's kind of a loophole. I stumbled upon the question a few years ago as I was going thru the regs (both hunting and trapping). I investigated it thru fish and game and the troopers and anyone else I could think of at the time. I know a certain fella who has taken several fur bearers in the corridor, with a rifle, and had things sealed up just fine...as long as F&G verified he had his trappers license and season was open. His taxidermist had no problems dealing with the critters either. As I said though, I haven't looked into it lately to see if that loophole was closed. It would be recommended if anyone were to consider it, to make sure before though. And if your still unsure, stick an arrow in that sucker instead. It's more fun (albeit a little harder) to stick a wolf with a bow. Took me a few years, but it's doable.

You are correct....this subject comes up every year and like I had posted last year...It really depends on who you talk to but I had ran into a trooper on the haul road and asked him and it is legal under a furbearer license as long as it is in season.....

Default Only Fur was Caribou Hair

Sorry I didn't post more, but was on my blackberry right after switching to passenger in Fairbanks and had to make a couple calls before going to sleep. It was a long drive back to Kenai.

Dude wasn't shooting fur or small game but blasting caribou.

It was mid-day Monday and there was a group of four VERY-nice bulls in the valley across the road from the start of slope mountain. One was absolutely huge and the widest I have seen in person. Anyway, there was 3-4 guys set up about 1/3 mile up the road where the first guy was about 100yrds off, then 200 yrds, then 300 yrds off the road etc. I could see three of them, but there was also a couple vehicles there so wasn't sure how many folks had set up to intercept them if they continued off the road a ways. There were also a few folks on the next ridge behind the group. In the middle was me and another fella both set up on the back side of the road in case they crossed. I had been sitting down in the little brush I had for 45min-hour and the bulls had come closer and closer to my position. They actually looked like they were coming in on a string--just very slowly. There were also another group of cows, calves and maybe a young bull or two that had moved in to the low spot 100 yrds to my right--which is where I was 30 min earlier. Everything looks great at this point. Enter the rifle guy.

I had seen the truck earlier, he had pulled up behind my buddy at the top of the ridge a while earlier and then driven by. Now he was coming back, but driving more slowly. He pulls about 100yds past me, and then stops right in the middle of the road, strait in front of the group of cows and youngsters (and possible young bull or two) and two folks jump out. I am looking in my field glasses just to see what the heck is going on and see the one guy is holding a stainless scoped rifle--and wondering ***. I radio my buddy at the ridge to see if he is seeing what I am seeing, and about that time Rifle Jimmy shoots not once but twice. The other fella grabs a sled from the back of the truck and they run out about 80 yrds to either one or two caribou--either a cow or young bull. I couldn't tell for sure. The bulls that were only 120 yrds or so away are now bucking and running away from me--but fortunately towards the guys set up out into the tundra--so hope one fo the connected. But am fuming at this point, not just because of the blown situation but because these guys just rolled up and started blasting with at least 6 people set up around these caribou. They saw me because the passenger looked right at me and kind of gave me a head nod as they drove by the second time right before stopping and shooting--but have no idea if they saw the other people to ensure they were not shooting in their direction.

A vehicle stopped and talked to them for a second after seeing them shoot. When we pulled up that fella said they had a subsistance permit out of Coldfoot. I have no idea if such exists or not. We wrote the tag number down just in case. We saw the vehicle the next day in Coldfoot--so maybe legit. If they do have such a permit, good for them and good shootin--but man, with so many numbers coming through that day, maybe blast in a less crowded area to decrease the risk of hitting bowhunter vs caribou.

Anyway, just one of the things we saw this last week that made us just scratch our heads and say huh.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

there is a catch to this you all are forgetting.

Subsistence!

We ran into this a few years ago, some guy boom sticking caribou from the ditch literally... We got the scoop from the then current trooper and some locals in wiseman.

We found out he was a resident of the area (wiseman) and atleast at the time they were allowed to hunt I believe it was up to the slope mt area.

The deal with the furbearers on a trapping lisc is it must be done on state land. Look up Curt Beddingfield in coldfoot, he's the retired trooper from the area. He cited us the info years ago now. I dont remember where that line is..you should see the sign before the slope mt camp on the right going north I believe. It's a federal subsistence sign that will show you where feds land end and state begins of visa versa...either way there ya go.

There is another area on the south side albiet a small area near finger mt that you can do the same...again it's the state land area that cross's the road (forget the unit off the top of my head).

I would DEFINATLY be doing you're homework before going up and boomstikking furbearers! these are two seperate things that are dictated by that same line..feds vs state lands!

I've heard of subsistance rifle hunting on the Haul Road, but have never seen it. Rifles are okay to use for trapping. The question was asked to many troopers regarding trap line issues. Having a wolf in a foot hold and no weapon to take it down can make things interesting.

I radio my buddy at the ridge to see if he is seeing what I am seeing
    Be careful with the radio's while hunting, a good way to get a citation. Troopers could hear you ask your buddy, "do you see them?" and that's all it takes to get written up.

My .02.

Subsistance is one thing. Discharging a rifle within 5 miles of the Trans Alaska Pipeline is something else. It is forbidden. A law which is not applied to all equally is nothing more than an opinion.

Cheers,

Matt

Default Radios

Roger on the radios, and understand the regs--had them for safety, etc., not for directing/leading to game as forbidden. We take them when we are wade fishing like down in Yakutat as well if we are one different parts of the river, etc. to say when heading out or to a different area. Works handy when I need a sandwich as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    My .02.

Subsistance is one thing. Discharging a rifle within 5 miles of the Trans Alaska Pipeline is something else. It is forbidden. A law which is not applied to all equally is nothing more than an opinion.

Cheers,

Matt
    South of the Yukon River you can stand next to the pipeline and shoot anything in season legally. This pertains to North of the Yukon only, and follows the path of the road, not the pipeline. That is why it is called the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA) and not the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Corridor Management Area. It was established to allow bowhunters to hunt because before that time, it was closed to all hunting when the Dalton was built to keep the area exclusive to the communities that the road intersected.

Angry

IT IS STILL ILLEGAL TO SHOOT FROM THE ROAD. SUBSISTENCE OR NOT.

CALL IT IN AND HANG THEM.

So sick of this CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor

-[]------->

Exclamation

Page 118 of the 2009-2010 Reg's:

In the purple box it reads, "Blah, blah, blah,... The area within the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the ramainder of the Dalton Highway Coridor Management Area is closed to Hunting; however, big game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the earea by BOW AND ARROW ONLY. Blah, blah, blah..."

Doesn't cite any exceptions.

I'm NOT taking my chances.

Taylor

Default Same Conclusion

I also did some additional research in the regs, and I could not find ANY exceptions as well.

If the Feds had an exception in the DHCMA, do you think there might be a reference in the State regs?

Do the state hunting regs also cover federal subsistence hunting?

Smile End of issue!

You must live in the Corridor! Here is the link: http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/pdf/wildregs/unit26.pdf

Here is a partial copy from the PDF file:

The use of snowmobiles is authorized only for the subsistence taking of wildlife by residents living within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. The use of
    licensed highway vehicles is limited only to designated
    roads within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management
    Area. The use of firearms within the Corridor Management Area for subsistence taking of wildlife is authorized only for the residents of Alatna, Allakaket, Anaktuvuk Pass, Bettles, Evansville, Stevens Village, and residents living within the Dalton Highway Corridor

Management Area.

If they step off the road.

Taylor

-[]------->

AND they are not interfering with my hunt. That also is illegal.

Taylor

-[]------->

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast