Thread: Hunter Ed class's

Default Hunter Ed class's

Hav'nt read the regs yet, but where are these required, and for what age?

Thanks

This is getting me going.

As I am reading it on the web site, that a person that is under 16 can leagaly shoot a moose with supervision without a cert.

If you are between 16 and 22 you are not allowed to shoot one with or without surpervision unless you have the cert.

Whats wrong with this picture?

There are no openings in the Fairbanks class's until Oct. 10.

So good luck to all that fall in that range and did'nt get your cert.s I feel for you.

I agree with you about the hunters ed classes and the requirement for some permits but not all permits. There seems to be no rhyme or reason on why you have to have it or don't have to have it. I took the class in Delta Junction when I was 10 years old and think it is a good class or was a good class at that time but do not understand why the requirements are so wishy washy in the state. Either make everyone take the class or only make everyone that applies for a permit(using it as a tool to keep out some of the riff raff?). Heck if I know, just like everything else Fish and Game does some of us are going to complain about it.

Default West Valley is going to really go after Oct.

I have been working with Bob Hunter. We are going to try to set up evening classes at WVHS in Oct after we get certified. We have 2 certified instructors lined up and will work to have three more. I am also trying to get two IBEP bowhunting instructors so we can have bowhunting certification as well.

We have a lot of hunters at WVHS and hopefully we can set up enough staff to have small classes of 8 to 12 students.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Problem is that moose season is over in oct. for the avg. hunter.

This is a crock that just because there are no more vacancys, he/she can't hunt the reg. season.

Someone needs to get some more instructors out there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Problem is that moose season is over in oct. for the avg. hunter.

This is a crock that just because there are no more vacancys, he/she can't hunt the reg. season.

Someone needs to get some more instructors out there.
    well ES.. there is only one way to get more instructors...

VOLUNTEER with the rest of them..

it is ALL done by volunteers who hunt also..

hate to say this buddy

P.P.P.P.P.P

the only way to ensure a youth who suddenly needs a LICENSE at age 16 is prior planning. pppp you get my drift.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thats not the point Vince,

The point being is that you can take a kid that is under 16 who is not required to get a licence and supervise him and let him shoot a moose.

The way the law reads is that once they turn 17, you can no longer supervise them and they can not shoot a moose in I think its 4 units including 20 without a cert.

The reason I posted this was that my son wanted to go, but there is no openings in the fairbanks area til Oct.

If I was Certified ( and because of this I will look into it ) I would be happy to help out.

If I'm wrong then somebody let me know.

But that was what the web page states, and that is what the F&G told my son.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Red face

Thats not the point Vince,

The point being is that you can take a kid that is under 16 who is not required to get a license and supervise him and let him shoot a moose.

The way the law reads is that once they turn 17, you can no longer supervise them and they can not shoot a moose in I think its 4 units including 20 without a cert.

The reason I posted this was that my son wanted to go, but there is no openings in the Fairbanks area tail Oct.

If I was Certified ( and because of this I will look into it ) I would be happy to help out.

If I'm wrong then somebody let me know.

But that was what the web page states, and that is what the F&G told my son.
    that is because.. it is ONCE he turned 16 not 17

he is now required to have his own hunting license by law and can now hunt on his own. this i not a new law.

in fact had he been hunting with you the last several years.. YOU needed Yours to supervise him if allowing him to shoot game.

i have had my basic ed card now for 5 years so that the kids could hunt with me.. run a snare line . shoot bou and bunnies. all required.

14-15 is when they should be getting their own certs and getting ready for life afield. at 16 they can now supervise( legally) a younger person.

sorry kid needs his license and his card. can you supervise his driving with out a card?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I did get the 16-17 thing wrong.

He is 22 and will be his first year hunting. ( long story)

There is no class's open for him to take the course.

You do not need a cert if you take a kid hunting thats under 16 unless you were born after 1-1-86, If you can show me that somewhere else I'll listen and concede.

Rock- You are correct. If you are exempt from being required to have a hunter safety card your kids can hunt with you just like if you had a card. The exceptions for this are certain draw tags.

The reason there are no openings for the classes is the simple fact that folks procrastinate until the last minute. It's not like being required to have a hunter safety card is a new deal. My kids both got theirs at 12 and my youngest will be getting hers next summer at 11. I took the class with my kids and got my card because several other states do not accept Alaska's exemption from having to have a card. Your hunter safety card works in all states and is pretty nice to have if a buddy invites you on an elk hunt

I actually feel really sorry for those volunteers that teach the class. They are giving up hunting time to teach those that didn't think ahead in time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Problem is that moose season is over in oct. for the avg. hunter.

Plan ahead, these ed classes happen all the time not just before the season kicks in.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Delta Sportsmens Association has put on several classes this summer....check with the good folks at Granite View Sports for the next scheduled class as they have the sign-up lists.

Thanks guys this was a kinda out of the blue thing for me.

And thank god I did'nt have to tell Vince he was right on this one.

Really Vince I did read the F&G site, before I posted that last post.

But I will say again if you can take a kid under 16 and let him shoot a moose under supervision, why can't you take one over the age of 16 and do the same thing as long as you are there to supervise?

Thanks Vern, I've got to go talk to Ron tomorrow anway, so I'll see what I can do to help.

Default maybe

its because under 16 they don't need to purchase a license (if they are a res) and anything they shoot goes on the tag of the licensed hunter who is supervising them. After they turn 16 they need to purchase a license and have thier own tag to fill.

Thanks Dan for the reply.

I'm going to do some checking in on this and see what I can find out.

It should'nt mater if they are 12 or 20 if they have a supervised adult with them and is willing to punch the tag for them.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    that is because.. it is ONCE he turned 16 not 17

he is now required to have his own hunting license by law and can now hunt on his own. this i not a new law.

at 16 they can now supervise( legally) a younger person.

?
    But he/she can't buy ammo on his/her own. How F-ed up is that.

Thanks guys this was a kinda out of the blue thing for me.

And thank god I did'nt have to tell Vince he was right on this one.

Really Vince I did read the F&G site, before I posted that last post.

But I will say again if you can take a kid under 16 and let him shoot a moose under supervision, why can't you take one over the age of 16 and do the same thing as long as you are there to supervise?
    YUP thats my bad... i only have read the first half... with out comprehending the second...

but you know..??? i have had my card checked while in the field with the kids...

meet on face book here