Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple bears and theres goes the sheep neighborhood!

Default couple bears and theres goes the sheep neighborhood!

Took a 72 year old on a sheep hunt this aug. on the flight in the air taxi let me know there was 12 people on a lake i had considered using for our hunt. we ditched that idea pretty quick and headed to some easier sheep country. Bless this guys hard heart he backpacked in 4 miles to the mtns then decided sheep hunting wasn't for him! So we turned left and shot this grizz the next morning. Its his third bear with me, a kodiak brownie, a peninsula brownie with a bow and this grizzly. I hope when i'm 72 i'm not quiting at nothing and hittin' it hard this this ol' timer. What a treat to take him out.

Had a quick one day trip for this 8' grizz, shot her right at dark and came in the next morning to skin and pack out and of course the rain never let up. But my new sitka gear stormfront rain gear still leaks, just like the first day i wore it....

I was able to find out from the air taxi that a popular sheep guide from the knik area moved up into the mountains i've been working along with a few others and brought in 6 guys on the first trip and i belive 6 guys on the second trip. he's taken 3 sheep so far. Those of us that have been using the area have been takin' one or two clients a year to help keep the sheep from getting shot out, but those years are wasted now. The drawing hunts in unit 14 have displaced the guides and now one of them has moved up into this area and is hunting it like there won't be a next year.
    State wide drawing for sheep will be here sooner than we think, this isn't a great sheep area, and even it is now overrun with hunters. As a result i've decided to not guide sheep hunters anymore, don't feel it would be fair to take someones money and knowingly take them into a situation like this. Sad day.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    As a result i've decided to not guide sheep hunters anymore, don't feel it would be fair to take someones money and knowingly take them into a situation like this. Sad day.
    It's sad that you have to make that call but I appreciate your respect for the resource!
    Kudos to you for stepping up and taking the burden of responsibility on your shoulders.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default That is terrible

What a shame. Someone who earns his living off the resource and has no respect for it other than the dollars it pays.....

Sounds like he needs bought a beer at the bar and then beat it out of him when he's done drinking it.

Man, what a bummer Jake, isn't there another area you can take sheep hunters into for future hunts? Hate to see you getting out of the sheep game. Truly admire and respect you for your dedication in helping to preserve our resources.

Real nice colored bear,now if he will come back and get one SE he will have the slam.I'm hopeing in ten years I can still hunt but four miles up hill is tufff now. I guess there have always been the money guides out there careing more for the buck today than the one tommrow.I read the books of the guides from the earliest of time in Alaska and they all pointed fingers at money grabbers who cared little for the client or the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    .....I was able to find out from the air taxi that a popular sheep guide from the knik area moved up into the mountains i've been working along with a few others and brought in 6 guys on the first trip and i belive 6 guys on the second trip. he's taken 3 sheep so far.
    This is one of the reasons 13D went draw. Some young guide moved in and over two seasons took 14, IIRC, sheep out of the Hallet River. Come to find out he had left another range up north after doing the same thing and pissing all the guides off up there. Sucks big time Sorry to hear about the decision you had to make.

Thanks for the post and pics, Jake. Hope I can get around like that later on in life (if I live that long). Congrats on another successful couple of bear hunts.

On the sheep situation, something has to give or the resource is gonna keep getting hammered and conflicts will increase. Shouldn't have to thank you for being an ethical guide...but gonna thank you nonetheless for setting such a fine example.

well this guide that moved is has been guiding sheep hunters for along time and is no young "new" guide, this is someone i'd have expected to handle this a little differently.
    just hate to see it come to this. but this puts another notch in the belt for this new guide concession program...
    Master guide 212

That top bear pic is one cool colored bear. Like granite.

Bummer on sheep, however,..............your business decision may be a wise one. With sheep permits getting harder to obtain for non res, and actually getting a sheep even harder, maybe clients looking for an alaskan adventure will turn to bear.
    You seem to be skilled and lucky at bears anyway.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I hope I can still do that at 55. Boy the guide moving in on you and raping the area sucks for sure. If all the guides operated like you do Jake I'd probably pee on one if they were on fire, unfortunatley what you describe is the rule not the exception. Somethings gotta give.

KK

Cool

Love to hear that... (bears)

Hate to hear that... (sheep)

Respect you for doing that... (ethical integrity)

Taylor

I wouldn't mind seeing guides and air taxis confined to certain areas to ease the pressure on some of the places. I think a quota system should be set up and a limit of guides per area needs to be set up. In too many places (not just in Alaska but the west also) guides move into an area for a year or two shoot it out then move on. It's really a shame because not all guides are like this but it makes them as a whole look bad. I used to be a fishing guide and many guides were about getting to the fish and taking them before the next guide could get them. The same thing is happening with some hunting guides often at the expense of resident hunters who have used these areas for generations. It's really sad because there are a lot of good, actually excellent guides that really do care and try to conserve the resources such as the man who started this thread who's actions speak for themselves but the cons are starting to outweigh the pros here about letting guides go wherever they want.

Angry Bummer

Wow, great job on guiding that hunter to a nice interior grizzly. Thats my goal also, to be able to do walk in hunts when I am collecting retirement! Its hard enough now though so I will probably be eating fish.

That sucks for that slob guide to move into your spot and overhunt it, but you cant leave that area. If you leave he will have it all to himself for the future. You need to keep hunting that area as much as possible and maybe that guide will go elsewhere after his clients get sick of no sheep. Like give hunters a great deal on a bear hunt and take them there and let them pursue sheep as a bonus to make up for the crowded conditions until that guide leaves. Or guarantee them a sheep and keep taking them there until they get a sheep.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Great bears Jake. Unfortunate circumstance regarding the sheep area you guys were using, im pretty impressed that you're willing to do that but not surprised. Since day one you appeared to have done it right. You will be rewarded in some manner for your decision. Good luck this fall.

Default bears & sheep

Unfortunately this same type of situation has happened a lot of times over the years. When I started hunting sheep there were assigned guide areas and the one guide in each usually took a very conservative approach to the sheep in it. Some reacted pretty unfavorably to local hunters utilizing the same spot but others accepted it pretty well. One area which I hunted regularly went from one guide to 12 when the system changed. That, coupled with bad winters and lots of predators has greatly diminished the sheep in all ranges. It's hard to know what the answer is, but it is not having somebody moving in and guiding a large number of hunters. It really hurts to have this happen....

Nice bears though and that does help reduce the predators.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Love to hear that... (bears)

Hate to hear that... (sheep)

Respect you for doing that... (ethical integrity)

Taylor
    Wow...best post I've read in a while...Thanks Taylor!

Jake, thanks for the pics!

That first bear has a great coat on it and outstanding color! I fully agree Jake hope I am still going like that when I am 72!

Sorry to hear about the sheep guiding, that sucks and I agree pretty soon the entire state will be on the draw system.

Well, this thread pretty much confirmed for me who I'll try to get as a guide if I ever do a professional bear hunt.

Thank you BRWNBR, for the ethics and conviction to personal character you display for all to see. Too few people these days do so.

-Adam

Great bears!! Sorry to hear about the crappy situation.

Brett

well guys i just wanted to kinda let you know how things are shapin' up in some areas, when you do your research for your sheep hunts, make sure you have a plan B in case the lake you want to hit is a ...well little busy! beauty of this forum is we can help each other learn from our situations. Hope something good will come from all this.
    Its not "my" area, i just use it. state owns it...lol
    good hunting guys....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast