Thread: Washdown Pump Replacement

Default Washdown Pump Replacement

So the washdown pump on my boat isn't working so needs to be replaced. It was a Shurflo Pro Blaster. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap reliable replacement? Also, can I get it locally?

I just went through this last week. West Marine has several models. I went with the model that was already in my boat to simplify replacement/plumbing/wiring. It's a Jabsco par max 4 has a 2 year warranty. Also make sure it is not just the switch. Wire the motor direct to the battery(around the switch) if the motor runs you only need to replace the switch which is alot cheaper.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Its definitely the motor. The motor runs but doesn't push water. If we put the garden house up to it with a little pressure it flows but it won't suck water.

Thanks for the idea though. It always helps to get more info. Mind me asking how much for your jabsco?

Another potential problem is a bad leak in one of the hoses - intake or output.

That being said, I replaced my completely seized pump with one from West Marine this year. Easy! I also replaced hoses at the same time. Had the choice of several with different output volumes. Look for sales!

Could also be the vane needs to be replaced. I have never done that but I know they sell replacement vanes if it is a vane pump vs. a diaphram pump. Sounds like the motor is ok.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Thumbs up I agree

I agree with Ebbtide. It sounds like the impeller is bad, not the motor. Could be a cheap fix.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Probably obvious info, but in case you must purchase a new one; might look at RV stores online or everywhere not just boat stores, the one in my camper is just like the two in my boat. Lowe's and Home Depot I think has them. Just a thought

Myers, what are the pumps you are talking about? I didn't know they sold 12v pumps at Lowes or HD.

I opened up my Shurflo on Sunday to check it out. There isn't an impeller in there. I was confused by the design they use. I see how it works but it sure seems like an odd deal. I was expecting an impeller like what's in my lower unit. I am guessing this is the diaphram design and there wasn't anything obviously wrong with it. I'll check for leaks in the lines when I get home.

Does anyone has any ideas for other cheap pumps to replace this one?

I would be cautious using non-boat items on your boat. Often these non-boat parts donít receive the same quality electrical insulation and corrosion resistance which can lead to early breakdown or more dangerous sparks. Most often pumps are located in an area that isnít well ventilated leading to fire danger. I know this is the case on my Hewescraft. Pump is located relatively close to fuel filter and fuel lines. If I were to leak any fuel, fumes have the potential to settle in the same area my pump is located and if the pump isnít insulated properly it could lead to a disaster. This is similar to the same philosophy as non marine parts on your motor. The parts are cheaper but not the same. Just something to think about.

I'm not positive about Lowes/HmDepot having any, I thought I saw some there once, worth a look.
    The Shurflow, had one filled with salt quit after one season, bought another one, lasted way longer.
    They are the same thing as in an RV.

I put a new pump in this spring got the sink and it is the same pump for the wash down. I had a heck of a time finding one for that and finilly found one at the RV company in Wasilla.
    homedepot and lowes do not carry them at the store and you would have to order it and its more expensive as well. I can not say what you can find in Anchorage but they had them at the RV shop just as you are coming into Wasilla.
    I think i did see them at West Marine but they were a bit pricey to say the least.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Sweepint, do you mind me asking how much so I have something to compare it to. We have a kid on the way and need to run up to Wasilla to pick up some stuff up. If its cheaper there I can always wait a few days.

I got a Military discount on it but i think it ran me about 90$ or so A bit more without the discount. I think it was reg about 110 to 115$ or so. I used it for my sink in the boat and it works great. I compared it to the wash down pump and it looked the same.
    Good luck with the pump and the little one on the way.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the name of the RV place in Wasilla? If not I can probably track it down. Does Valley RV Center sound about right? Looks like the right location.

Nice boat by the way. That's was the ideal boat but we just couldn't part with the coin at this point.

Thanks again.

Question Mobile trailer supply-Maybe???

Try Mobile Trailer Supply in Anchorage downtown, they might have one. They are a big RV accessory/supply store. Performance RV might also, -that is a big maybe. How about a plumbing store???

I think that is the name of the place, i am overseas right now or i would lock the name down for you. Thanks on the boat we are pretty happy with it as well.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Thanks for the info. I called them up and they only had the smaller size. I would like to get at least as big if not a bigger one. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Be safe over there and thanks for your service.