Thread: predator hunting the penninsula

Default predator hunting the penninsula

I moved to the penninsula about a year ago, I am an avid hunter and since the regular hunting season is pretty much over I am getting geared up for hunting predators. I have had a couple people here that have gone along hunting with me, but it has turned out to be a disaster. I do not know too many people down here so finding people to hunt with me was a challenge. The last guy I met that hunted and went with me started smoking a cigarette right after I set my digital call to start calling. I said to him "what are you doing?" his response was animals cannot smell smoke. That will be the last time I invite him along. But to get to the point I am looking for a serious outdoorsman to go along some time maybe even lead me into the right location to hunt predators. If anyone is interested let me know.
    Scooter

hey, how's it going? well first off if its hunting your about I can say that I'm about as serious as a heart attack about it... I live down in homer, so if your ever looking for a huntin' bud pm me.

Default Same here!

Likewise here. I live in Sterling off Scout Lake Loop. Did not hunt this year waiting for my residency which will be in January.

Will

You bring the call, I'll bring the booze.

lol, just kidding man.

I'll be deer hunting out of juneau this weekend, but I'm free all next week and next weekend if you want to go look for a coyote or wolf.

If your interested, PM me.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I go to Kenai every chance I get, and as of late, have been hunting the area between K-beach and KGF (Kenai Gas Field). I have seen only 5 Coyotes in that area, 2 of which 2 months ago, but I know they are there. Nice lookin' one too. I've never got one, but my Father has one hanging on the wall. The only problem is the tall grass and the bumpy terrain, makes it difficult to see them. When enough snow falls, I'll be out there as often as I can, but as it is (went out last week), it is too hard to spot them there.

Thumbs up good deal!!

I live really close to that area. Practically in my back yard, I was interested in trying it out. Was walking around out there earlier this fall and seen some caribou. If you ever want to go pm me.

Yeah, it pretty much IS my Father's back yard. I might just take you up on that. Next time I get a chance to head down that way.

Those caribou are funny, they walk right up to you in the summer time (I worked at KGF for a couple summers as a summer hand). They like the gas field.

do you guys hunt out there (kgf) with wheelers?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default 4 wheelers

I personally have never been out there on a 4 wheeler. I plan on taking a snowmachine when I get enough snow

I ride snowmachines back there a little bit (usually when I ride all the way down to the Caribou hills, which isn't often anymore) when there is enough snow. Not on the roads, as that is not allowed in KGF. I've ridden a wheeler back there a couple times down the trails. Driven a truck back there once too. But if you go off trail, your in some pretty nasty stuff. The ground is very bumpy (there is only one term for what they are called that I am aware of, and it is improper to say at the least) and very wet where there are no trees. The bumps can be as high as 4 feet from the bottom of the hole to the top of the mound. Okay, just looked up the term, the more appropriate term is hummock, which are a bunch of minurature heaving from freezing/thawing. The area is very wet. I walked it this fall, and if you don't watch out, you'll be up to your hips in water and/or mud.

When the snow gets a cuple feet deep, it flattens out due to the wind in the area. As it is, you'd be hard pressed to see a coyote, as the grass is tall, and the valleys of the hummock are deep.

A month or so ago I was down there and saw a late 70's Jeep Wagoneer stuck on one of the trails. Looks like they tried to drag it out (tow strap was hooked to the rear) with no luck. I wonder if it is still there? I have it marked on my GPS (not that I need it, but I can give coordinates if anybody wants them....).

Default Yote's

I made three stands this morning after the fresh snow and on the 3rd stand, I saw a coyote working his way to me. After about 5 minutes he never showed up. When I slowly stood up, another yote was working his way down the same hill. I sat down and continued calling but I never saw him again either. The grass / fireweed is still too tall and they can sneek up close enough to bust you and you'll never see them. I can see that I need to take those long shots until we get some more snow to knock down the vegetation. Just wonder if I had dogs working their way to me on the other stands but never saw them?

Homeradam

Yeah, I figured it wasn't enboyugh snow yet, but I was hoping. Another foot and we should be golden.

Did enough snow fall to fill in the holes? Is it ready for yote killin'? I think I can make it down weekend of New Years, and maybe the weekend after, and the one after that.

I would love to do some predator hunting. I have hunted predators in the lower 48 but not up here yet. If your interested PM me.
    Thanks Brant

Are you in Anchorage, Eagle River, or the valley? Pm me if so, heading out on saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetail101 View Post
    I would love to do some predator hunting. I have hunted predators in the lower 48 but not up here yet. If your interested PM me.
    Thanks Brant
    I went up to knik today. Complete disaster!! Too much snow up in the valley to ride atv's let alone parking your vehicle in a lot.

ATV's? I walk to my hunting grounds. If I can't walk from where my truck will drive to, then I'm too close to town (ie Anchorage).

Quote Originally Posted by Skligmund View Post
    Did enough snow fall to fill in the holes? Is it ready for yote killin'? I think I can make it down weekend of New Years, and maybe the weekend after, and the one after that.

I doubt it, not much snow here yet.

I heard it snowed pretty good up in the hills though. True fact?

Ya, I hear the same thing, but havent been up there myself to find out. (no snowmachine)

Default the hills

I just got back from the hills today, We have a family cabin up there, Tons of snow, but poor visibility, If any of you guys are interested in hunting Pm me. I have alot of free time to hunt, I am laid off till after xmas