Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebbtide finally weighs in.

Default Ebbtide finally weighs in.

Finally got the boat to Alaska Sand and Gravel for a weight. Here are the results.

Boat and trailer 10240 lbs

trailer per manufacturer
    with add ons I installed 2020 lbs

Boat - trailer 8220 lbs

Trailer carry capacity 8600 lbs

I also determined the tongue weight by weighing the boat and trailer only
    then backed the truck up and connected the trailer to the truck with the truck off the scales

Boat and trailer 10240 lbs
    Wt of boat and trailer when connected to truck not on scales 9440 lbs
    tongue weight 800 lbs

Weight of whole package 18320 lbs

I believe these numbers are accurate to 20 lbs. AS@G also state their scales are accurate to 20 lbs

The boat was loaded with fishing gear 12 foot raft on top 10 gallons karosene NO GAS, NO WATER, extra anchor with chain and 200 ft of rope, 10 life jackets, flare kit, etc... all toll probably about 500 lbs of stuff.

Hope that helps!

Marvin
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Your numbers are pushing the trailer limits without fuel or water? How many gallons do you hold? Are you concerned about the trailer?

200 gallons of gas = ~1200#
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I never trailer with fuel on if there is anyway to avoid it. Just got back from trailering to Valdez and had no problems. Trailer to Ninilchik and back on a regular basis with no problems. I am going to slide the boat and post back a little to relieve some of the tongue weight though. Boat holds about 125 gallons.
    MMSI#

Thumbs up

That is a beautiful boat BTW. A new GC recently moved into my neighborhood called the Coastal Quest. I haven't met the owner, but it is another great looking outfit! They sure make some nice boats.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Towing

Ebbtide,

What's your tow vehicle if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Did Alaska Sand and Gravel chargea feefor weighing your boat and trailer? Did you have this done at their location off of Klatt?

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Did Alaska Sand and Gravel chargea feefor weighing your boat and trailer? Did you have this done at their location off of Klatt?
    I scaled mine last fall at that location and there was no charge. If I wanted a print out they will charge for that. If it is busy, they will have you wait until the trucks move through.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ditto what Spoiled One said. I took pencil and paper and wrote down my weights so i did not need a printout and it was free. They were not busy so I could unhook the boat and move the truck around on and off the scales to try and figure out tongue weights. They were very nice and easy to deal with. The whole process was rather painless and I am sorry I waited so long. I pull the boat with a Dodge ram 2500 short bed with cummins power. If you go I would use the entrance off of O'malley and the scalehouse will be in about 1/2 mile on your left.
    MMSI#

Thanks guys. I have always wanted to weigh our BayWeld, figure out the tongue weight, etc. But I have never made the time. I appreciate the information on the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I never trailer with fuel on if there is anyway to avoid it. Just got back from trailering to Valdez and had no problems. Trailer to Ninilchik and back on a regular basis with no problems. I am going to slide the boat and post back a little to relieve some of the tongue weight though. Boat holds about 125 gallons.

I have always be told that your tonque weight should = 10-15% of your gross trailer wieght. With that said, you are actually a little light on your tongue weight the way it sits. I would leave it anone. There is nothing worse than a trailer that starts swaying. Especailly on our roads with something that is as heavy as what you are pulling. I have seen more than one boat down here pull the truck with it into the ditch and roll the whole works.

thrultraridder - the 10% to 15% you quote is generally recommended for single or dual axle travel and utility trailers where there can be some large differences in how the trailer is loaded. A triple axle trailer MUST BE TOWED AS LEVEL AS POSSIBLE to keep the weight balance between the front and rear axle, and the weight on the tires, as equal as possible.

The generally accepted tongue weight for a triple axle boat trailer is 5% to 7% with the trailer being very level.

To check the level on a triple axle boat trailer get it as level as possible and then measure the height of the frame rail just in front of the front wheel and just behind the rear wheel. Do not use a level on the frame rail near the tongue as the tongue will flex/bow when loaded. Once you have the trailer level you can measure the tongue weight with a tongue weight scale or by putting the jack on a scale such as AS&G.

As an example my boat and trailer weight 15,000# and the tongue weight is 950# and it tows beautifully. It sounds EbbTide is very close.

SB

Sorry about that SB, I didn't catch that he was running a tripple axle. I should have realized that. You are correct.

EBBTIDE, What size is your boat? I just received my
    27'x9 1/2 last month and it feels heavier than the 8000 lb
    I was told it would weigh. plus I hold 270 gallons of fuel.

Ebbtide is a 27 X 9 and has a 130 gal. tank. Yours probably does way around 8000lbs completely dry and no gear in it. I figured Ebbtide weighed about 7600-7700 dry and empty.
    MMSI#

Decided to pick up a new trailer, reasons above are pretty obvious. Ordered a custom 13000 lb trailer from Kevin Brown at Alaska Trailers and finally got Ebby nestled in on her new ride. The shocking part of the experience was that while we were booming her onto the new trailer the boom truck gave me her actual weight. Get this ---> 9100 lbs. That was with an eighth tank of gas, no water, and 10 gallons of karosene. I also had the usual fishing stuff and the pot puller on board. All in all she was loaded pretty much like when we went to AK sand and gravel. So, my calculations from AK sand and gravel were about 900 pounds off. That would be 900 pounds off the bad way. It would appear Jimmy your intuitions were correct, there is a reason she feels more then 8000 lbs. Anyway, I am very happy with the new trailer and the service of Kevin Brown at AK Trailers was indefectable.
    MMSI#

Ebbtide: Be very cautious using the weight figures from a boom or Travelall (boat hoist) to determine the Actual weight of your boat & trailer- they are not known for being very accurate. Additionally, I don't believe any of them are "certified" like AS&G or the scales at one of moving companies.

I wondered about that myself. My first thought was "his scale must be wrong" now I don't know which one to believe. You would think something dangerous like booming boats around would have to be certified? Guess I will just figure the tru weight is somewhere in the range between the two.
    MMSI#

ak sand's scales are required to be tested by the state of alaska weights and measures every year. they are quite accurate.

the boom truck, probably not tested at all, and will tend to weigh on the high side so they don't overload the boom and tip the truck.

trust the AS&G weights.

Another lesson learned. At least this one didn't cost anything.
    MMSI#

I weighed mine at the landfill and it came in at 10,020 pounds minus the trailer weight. 1/2 full of fuel 135 gallons and fishing gear. 27'x9 1/2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast