Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Best single pot shrimp count?

  1. #1
    New member Sockeye Salm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    190

    Default Best single pot shrimp count?

    OK, I'm not asking location! I'm just wondering if some of the shrimpers on here will share the number and soak time on some of there best individual pots. This way I can figure out if I need to search more or be happy with what I have. My Son and I went out in the Sound 8-20,21,22 last week for the first time. (I've always been a Seward guy) We did some searching and pulled some blanks, but finally got on them. Our best pot and soak time was 111 Spots with a 19 Hr soak. We use 37" Donaldson pots, heavy baited with 4 jugs. Type of bait, the location and the depth is confidential.

  2. #2

    Smile You found it

    You did great for your first time those numbers are right on for a average. Ever one I know of is in the same range. Of course it all dependes on your depth and food and of course Location! Location! location!. I will tell you the ferther out from Whittier you get the bigger the shrimp get. Therearea few places left the still produce monsters. Good luck and great shrimping
    Alaskan 4 Star Charters
    Boat: AK 4 Star

  3. #3
    Member Soundfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default Good numbers

    Sockeye, those are good numbers. I wish I got those numbers that quick when I first started. Keep that spot to yourself. I started shrimping about 4-5 years ago. It is hard to believe, but the 1st time I ever counted a pot was about 2 weeks ago. I took an average pot from the string, and there were 88 shrimp. I was surprised that there were actually that many. I would have guessed about 50-60 just glancing at it. The difference, is that my soaks are a fraction of the time you set. I have found that 3-5 hour soaks seem to get the majority of the shrimp around that pot. Longer soaks seem to increase the haul by less than 10-20%. (Others will disagree with me) This pic is from a couple weeks ago. Out for two days. Pretty much an average to better catch, but I have no idea how many shrimp are there. Each bag is about +/- 7 pounds. I also found another full bag in the ice after the pics were taken
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Default

    I don't count my shrimp and only look at volume. The best I've done on a pull is filling a 5-gallon bucket. That's all 5 pots combined, maybe 12-14 hour soak (overnight, however long that was).

  5. #5
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I do not have the patience to count numbers of shrimp. (Kind of ironic considering my boats name) I pull in the morning and evening and yield between 5 and 17 gallons of whole shrimp per pull with 5 pots on a line. I find that I get about 6 pounds of tails per gallon ziplock bag. Every pull is like Christmas morning. You never know what you are going to get.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  6. #6

    Default 6-7lbs

    I usually get 6-7 lbs of tails with 5 pots. Sometimes more, sometimes octopus, sometimes less. I've only got octopus on overnite soaks.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

  7. #7
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I do not have the patience to count numbers of shrimp. (Kind of ironic considering my boats name) I pull in the morning and evening and yield between 5 and 17 gallons of whole shrimp per pull with 5 pots on a line. I find that I get about 6 pounds of tails per gallon ziplock bag. Every pull is like Christmas morning. You never know what you are going to get.

    What's the name of your boat "Counting Shrimp"?? ??

  8. #8
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    What's the name of your boat "Counting Shrimp"?? ??
    "Patience". Something I learned a bit about through the build process.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  9. #9
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    "Patience". Something I learned a bit about through the build process.

    I like "Counting Shrimp" better!!!!!

  10. #10
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I like "Counting Shrimp" better!!!!!
    Perhaps the next boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  11. #11
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default Spoiled one your wife will have a fit

    If she heard you already talking about a "next boat!!"

  12. #12
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    If she heard you already talking about a "next boat!!"
    The current one was her idea and I have her blessings if we do it again. Wanna buy a boat?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  13. #13
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    had a 2 hour set ,5 pots, a couple of weeks ago that had 15lbs of tails in it but my average has been running about 10lbs per set. I did have a customer tell me he had 190 in one pot and 160 in another of my rigid pots for a overnight set.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  14. #14

    Default

    I just came back from Whittier with my all-time best for an eight hour soak; fifty five per pot at 700'. I thought this was a great outing until I started reading some of these numbers!

  15. #15
    Member ken210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somewhere hot and dusty
    Posts
    156

    Default

    My best set was from the one time I went to Whittier this year. 70 in 2 potbuilder pots and using Steves awesome shrimp crack on about a 2.5 hour soak.

  16. #16

    Default

    Has anybody else noticed that there seem to be more shrimp this year -
    I am setting my pots in my usual places, and coming up with more and bigger shrimp this year.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

    When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

  17. #17
    New member Sockeye Salm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    190

    Default

    That 111 pot was the best of the trip. That particular soak had about 60 for an overall average. 111 filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way to the top. I always count the prawns and wright the number down in the log book along with coordinates, pot number, depth, type of bait and any other pertinent info such as steepness or structure. I think it helps me to fine tune my fishing. When commercial fishing for crab we always had a log on every pot. Same for long-lining halibut or any other gear type. Log and record everything. (I know of old halibut log books that have sold for thousands of dollars.) That way you can always go back and study the book, plus my Son and Grandkids can see some historical data and put it to use. Plus I get to sit in the house and holler on deck "I WANT THE COUNT AND I WANT IT NOW"!!! My Son calls me "CAPTAIN SIG"

  18. #18
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    That 111 pot was the best of the trip. That particular soak had about 60 for an overall average. 111 filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way to the top. I always count the prawns and wright the number down in the log book along with coordinates, pot number, depth, type of bait and any other pertinent info such as steepness or structure. I think it helps me to fine tune my fishing. When commercial fishing for crab we always had a log on every pot. Same for long-lining halibut or any other gear type. Log and record everything. (I know of old halibut log books that have sold for thousands of dollars.) That way you can always go back and study the book, plus my Son and Grandkids can see some historical data and put it to use. Plus I get to sit in the house and holler on deck "I WANT THE COUNT AND I WANT IT NOW"!!! My Son calls me "CAPTAIN SIG"

    haha....LOL!

    That part in the show is pretty funny...

    Good Idea on logging down how much you catch and where you catch it, I might have to start doing that...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •