Thread: DS139 tag

Default DS139 tag

Only 24 days to go, the count started at over 220...just wondering what caliber of ram all of you would hold out for (or shoot on the first day) if you had this tag? Will probably never draw this tag again and obviously I want to make the most of it-any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Ed.

I have this tag, and sadly I have only 4 days to hunt it due to my koyukuk moose hunt, looking forward to the moose hunt more though. So any full curl I see is gonna hit the ground for me. Im looking to cover a lot of ground in 4 days. Where are you headed? pm if you like, so we can share info or stay out of each others way.

Randy

Since you seem to be from Texas, I am assuming that your being guided on your hunt. Your guide will or should have a firm grip on the size of the rams in your hunt area, it's just a matter of him finding them and geting you within range. Should be some good rams available on this hunt.

Randy!!! You can go on a Koyukok moose hunt any year since it is not a drawing hunt while DS139 drawing tags don't come around very ofter and are apt to get MUCH RARER in the future, intutive common sense says to give full effort to one or the other....common sense also says which one to pick. Good luck with whatever your final choice is.

I have this tag as well. I have the whole season set aside to hunt this tag. I'm thinking along the same lines as Shphtr, going to make the most of this one as it maybe on the only time I get to rifle hunt the park. I'm in the best shape of my life and now I'm just pouring over the map and counting down the days. Good luck.

One word: Glaciers

Good luck

Randy!!! You can go on a Koyukok moose hunt any year since it is not a drawing hunt while DS139 drawing tags don't come around very ofter and are apt to get MUCH RARER in the future, intutive common sense says to give full effort to one or the other....common sense also says which one to pick. Good luck with whatever your final choice is.

+1

Are you nuts ?

I have a feeling i'll fill both my moose and sheep hunt this year. Just a strange feeling. You'll know in october whether or not i do.

Default I've done it

John was right do you have a guide? Military? I hiked in and killed one in a day from Indian. PM me and I will tell you a bowl to focus on to start. THat said any LEGAL ram is a trophy, if oyu get a chance at a legal one, kill it and don;t post photos.

It is one of a few hanging in my lodge ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Yes, I am in the military (USMC) and I am stationed in Texas (not "from there" though) for the next few years. I am going guided and am ready for all aspects of the hunt, just don't quite know what to hold out for. When I hunted Colorado last year I knew the area I had a tag for (S-15) had never produced a B&C ram, so I was not looking for-or holding out for-a 175+ ram. Ended up shooting a 9.5 yr old 36x15, 33x15 which was one of the oldest rams to come out of there the past 7 yrs-and I am happy as hell with him. In unit 680 or 121 in MT that ram-due to his age, would have been 180+ easily. I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and cracked open the book and looked at Dall Sheep and saw it is littered with entries from the Chugach mtns. Of course my guides will do their best, but I am the one who will be deciding on whether or not to pull the trigger-and I don't want to have any regrets. A guy could go to a general area and probably kill a "legal ram" every year, but I think this tag rates more than the first legal ram I get within range of. I hold to the philosiphy that I won't pass on anything on the first day that I would shoot on the last day, but I just don't know what to pull the trigger on.

I think you'll find that most of the folks on here are not that into "book animals". Guided non-residents tend to focus on those numbers more than residents at least in my experience. Personally I would try for an older ram (10+), but you should be able to get harvest information from ADF&G that will give you the average horn size from the area allowing you to set standards for your hunt in the same way you did with the Colorado bighorn.

Fish and Game has a document available with the 14C harvest statistics from the past ~10 years along with general harvest locations and horn measurements. Looking at it briefly, it looks like 14C tags produce about three 40" rams each year. They're in there, but B&C rams are not all that common in there. If I had the time to hunt 14C like you do, I would try to find something with good mass and a deep curl. I don't personally care about the measurements, but some rams are just more beautiful to me than others. Anyhow, I think that 38"+ is a lofty yet reasonable goal, but you're more likely to see rams in the 36" class.

While you are looking at horn size measument, note sucess ratios in 14C. Not very good despite its' popularity. I'd go with the guide's opinion. Have fun!

Smile Cant eat horns

so shoot one that tastes good LOL. Good luck and get a biggin!

Having my name in a book doesn't do it for me so I am not really into shooting a ram just because it will go into print somewhere, but a score (or some measurements) is a good way to judge the caliber of ram that I would pull the trigger on. I would love to put down an old warrior that is near the end of his days and wouldn't make it through the winter. I just don't know what a 10+ yr old ram in that country would look like. I know what a 9.5 yr old Colorado ram looks like, but I also know a 9.5 yr old Montana Breaks ram would dwarf his cousin from Colorado. Thanks for the advice so far-Ed.

Lots of good advice here. You seem to be on a roll with sheep tags. Chugach rams have beautiful horns and the country is amazing. Book rams are extremely rare. It is far from a slam dunk in the park so I'd focus on a nice, pretty, mature ram. Enjoy your hunt, take lots of pictures, and admire the vistas. Here is an 11 year old ram that I was fortunate to take a few years ago on a 14C hunt.

Good Luck, Alpine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alpine, just the kind of advice I was looking for! Great pic and awesome ram. I would pull the trigger on him in a heartbeat. Ya, I have been lucky. 5 points in Colorado and I drew that nonres tag, then the first year I have ever applied in AK I drew the 139 tag...probably shouldn't have said that, now I won't get any advice. Thanks again, Ed.