Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had time to Crono the Double Tap

Default Has anyone had time to Crono the Double Tap

Just curious to see what the results are. How do the equalizer and 165grn sabers, oh and the .200grn cont. exp shoot?

Probably depends on the caliber and rifle or pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably depends on the caliber and rifle or pistol
    I think he's talking about the 10mm group buy ammo.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Double Tap exaggerates their numbers. Never been able to get their rated speed out of a Glock 20. I've chronographed the Double Tap 200 and 230 several times out of my G20. Both factory barrel and KKM barrel. Out of 5 different lots I've never gotten past 1050 for the 200 and never seen more than 950 out of the 230. This was a couple years ago, can't tell you what the story is today as I stopped buying their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    Double Tap exaggerates their numbers.
    Not the first time I've heard this complaint, and the velocities you list are pretty close to what I've seen elsewhere. If the best they can do is 1050 with a 200gr, I'll continue to hoard my meager stash of Norma ammo and be happy.

It does seem like all the folks with slow data are shooting Glocks though. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'd be very curious to see current data from this most recent lot.

Default 10mm DT ammo

A couple guys in the group buy said they wanted to chrono some loads. Just wondering if they did and how it went. I will continue to shoot his stuff no matter, accurate and hard hitting, plus functions in the gun flawlessly! Just wanted to hear some numbers.

The 165 grn. Sabers seem to shoot well. (Only got off a couple rounds, lady-friend blew through the rest) Don't have a chrony to check them with but they seemed like the usual DT offering- nice and snappy.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Sounds good man! She only gave you a few rounds huh, so no extra clip for carry?!

I've got enough for a carry clip, she went to town on the rest of the box though. Never taken a guy shooting and had them warm to the 10mm like that, much less a lady. Crazy stuff...

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

No, someone keeps driving around with it and I haven't got it

The .380 is calling for you.....

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    A couple guys in the group buy said they wanted to chrono some loads. Just wondering if they did and how it went. I will continue to shoot his stuff no matter, accurate and hard hitting, plus functions in the gun flawlessly! Just wanted to hear some numbers.
    If the current stuff is no better than what I tested 2 years ago then your 230 grain "hot" 10mm is performing right in the range of a .45ACP +P load. Think about it. I don't think anyone would call a .45 ACP a "bear gun" yet that seems to be what people are buying the 230 grain Double Tap's for.

Regarding the comment about testing only in Glocks, I tested in both the stock and KKM barrel. So it's not anything to do with the Glock barrel. Testing in a 1006 didn''t make a whole lot of difference as I recall, although I don't have the exact numbers.

If the current stuff is no better than what I tested 2 years ago then your 230 grain "hot" 10mm is performing right in the range of a .45ACP +P load. Think about it. I don't think anyone would call a .45 ACP a "bear gun" yet that seems to be what people are buying the 230 grain Double Tap's for.

Regarding the comment about testing only in Glocks, I tested in both the stock and KKM barrel. So it's not anything to do with the Glock barrel. Testing in a 1006 didn''t make a whole lot of difference as I recall, although I don't have the exact numbers.

I have a 6" KKM barrel in my G20. Like I said I will shoot this stuff no matter what. As far as factory 10mm goes, it is some of the hottest stuff available at good price! I like the 200grn WFNGC for every day bear load. Maybe the hottest was from MVS. Might have been Buffalo bore, not sure. But $30 for 20 rounds is a bit steep! Double Tap feel about the same or hotter in the palm. Compared to the other stuff I shot, DT is the way to go.

Loaded a clip with DT and Remington, when right after the other you feel the BIG difference!

Will try and take one of two bears in unit 7 next spring with it, or both if possible.

I have a 6" KKM barrel in my G20. Like I said I will shoot this stuff no matter what. As far as factory 10mm goes, it is some of the hottest stuff available at good price! I like the 200grn WFNGC for every day bear load. Maybe the hottest was from MVS. Might have been Buffalo bore, not sure. But $30 for 20 rounds is a bit steep! Double Tap feel about the same or hotter in the palm. Compared to the other stuff I shot, DT is the way to go.

Loaded a clip with DT and Remington, when right after the other you feel the BIG difference!

Will try and take one of two bears in unit 7 next spring with it, or both if possible.
    That's fine and I'm sure it will take a bear or two. Being reliable in your gun is important too.

All I'm trying to point out is that a 200 grain 10mm at 1050 fps is a .45 ACP class load. I can get that performance with off the shelf .45 ACP +P loads I buy from the local store in my 1911. A lot of people think of the 10mm as nipping on the heels of the 41 magnum. I've loaded the 200 grain Hornady to over 1200 fps in the 10mm, closer but still not a .41 magnum. Best case scenario for the 10mm is really upper end .357 mag range.

Don't get me wrong I love the 10, I own 4 of them. Just putting it into perspective as it gets hyped out of all proportion quite often.

Just putting it into perspective as it gets hyped out of all proportion quite often.
    Kind of like most things on this Forum...........Just Saying.

Default Jack49

Want some newer DT to crono? Will give ya 5 rounds to send through the crono.

I also carry the 10mm because it is always with me. The .44 was always in the boat or a back pack. The 10mm is always on my chest and hardly know it is there.

Want some newer DT to crono? Will give ya 5 rounds to send through the crono.

I also carry the 10mm because it is always with me. The .44 was always in the boat or a back pack. The 10mm is always on my chest and hardly know it is there.
    I would do that. I'm in Fairbanks not Anchorage. However, I do come down every few weeks. I would love to see that they have solved their problems and are up to spec. It would give me another source of ammo for times I don't have the time to do it myself.

I understand your point about something on you is better than something in the car. And the odds are you'll never need it anyway. I carry a Smith .44 mountain gun and have been told many times it's too small and won't work. As long as one understands the limitations of the platform it usually works out OK. It's when people think they are carrying a bazooka that will stop anything with one shot that they get in trouble.

I would do that. I'm in Fairbanks not Anchorage. However, I do come down every few weeks. I would love to see that they have solved their problems and are up to spec. It would give me another source of ammo for times I don't have the time to do it myself.

I understand your point about something on you is better than something in the car. And the odds are you'll never need it anyway. I carry a Smith .44 mountain gun and have been told many times it's too small and won't work. As long as one understands the limitations of the platform it usually works out OK. It's when people think they are carrying a bazooka that will stop anything with one shot that they get in trouble.
    Hey just shoot me a PM when headed down this way.

Totally agree about packing in the woods.

I just bought some of the 200-gr DT HC stuff. But do you all think I am better off going with the Cor-Bon 180-gr Bonded Core Soft Point, which claims 1,300 fps with a 180-gr load (which I also ordered)?
    For some reason, I have had good experience with C-B, and assume they do not exaggerate. Am I wrong?
    I guess I would rather have a 180-gr bullet going at 1,300 than a 200-gr bullet going only 1,050.

Next time I go to the range I will throw some DT through my chronograph. By then I should have a few loads with 200gr. beartooth bullets and a stout charge of BD to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Next time I go to the range I will throw some DT through my chronograph. By then I should have a few loads with 200gr. beartooth bullets and a stout charge of BD to compare.
    I think that I can speak for many when I say that we would be very eager to hear your results. Hopefully, DT won't read this an pay you off to tell us something like "2,500 fps!" Just kidding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast