Thread: 5 Month Old Lab Eating Rocks

Default 5 Month Old Lab Eating Rocks

Bo Diddley Lilly was lathargic, vomitting and has trouble going #2 straining so hard she would whine but she wasn't impacted. Called the vet and rushed her in. Suddenly she is no longer lathargic and makes me look like a liar. She was fun loving and ready to play once we got there.

With all the signs of Parvo the test came back negative. As we chat over what could be the culprit. I thought to myself 4 days ago she passed a quarter like stone. Off to X-Ray.. although she assured me this is normal for puppies cutting teeth. Lilly is a chewer of toys! She has never so much as went after a shoe for her droolfest delight.

The x-ray came back.... no rocks, but her tank is on full. They gave her a shot and some pills to take for an upset tummy.

My question is; how do I keep her from chewing on rocks?
    Is this just a phase?
    My only option sounds like a muzzle. I hope she outgrows this she loves to fetch.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Bo Diddley Lilly was lathargic, vomitting and has trouble going #2 straining so hard she would whine but she wasn't impacted. Called the vet and rushed her in. Suddenly she is no longer lathargic and makes me look like a liar. She was fun loving and ready to play once we got there.

With all the signs of Parvo the test came back negative. As we chat over what could be the culprit. I thought to myself 4 days ago she passed a quarter like stone. Off to X-Ray.. although she assured me this is normal for puppies cutting teeth. Lilly is a chewer of toys! She has never so much as went after a shoe for her droolfest delight.

The x-ray came back.... no rocks, but her tank is on full. They gave her a shot and some pills to take for an upset tummy.

My question is; how do I keep her from chewing on rocks?
    Is this just a phase?
    My only option sounds like a muzzle. I hope she outgrows this she loves to fetch.

well you met Cruser.. yesterday he was trying to pick up the cement peir block that supports our deck... my springer LOVED digging up rocks and playing with them... and have seen many that do..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well you met Cruser.. yesterday he was trying to pick up the cement peir block that supports our deck... my springer LOVED digging up rocks and playing with them... and have seen many that do..
    You had a Springer? I think my opinion of you just grew.

I grew up with one and my wife and I have had 4 in the last 33 years.

Great dogs, but everyone of them loved chewing rocks. What a bunch of knuckle heads.

Jess,

It's called Pica. Here are some links for you, and yes, they can grow out of it, and be trained not to do so but it means keeping a VERY close eye on the dog/pup.

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/app...s/picabeh.html

http://the-vet.net/documents/information/Pica.htm

If you do a sure of Pica in dogs you'll come up with many pages to read
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Remove the temptation

Lucy at 5 years old swallowed some pebbles or possibly hocked her dinner on the gravel and re-ate it ( blach! I know but they do) without me knowing it. She was ill for a month or more throwing up periodically an hour after eating. Not every day but enough to cause concern. One evening she was decidedly worse, we rushed her in to the vet, she palpated, himmed and hawed about X-ray ( debating the cost verses the worth of my dog!), not that that interaction wasnít irritating enough I asked what they would do if it were her dog.

They claimed she was not dehydrated. To me, who sees her every day, she was. Pale to me but not to the vet. They kept her for a few hours after collecting a $100 deposit; Another more then irritating procedure. After 3 hours of blood work they opted not to x-ray and sent her home with anti-vomit drugs. She seemed OK but not 100% . She was eating and passing stools fine. Having consulted the vet already we assumed the worst. She had fatal liver or kidney or other internal organ disease.

In a couple of days she swelled up like a balloon. Again in the evening before dinner.
    This time I did not go to the vet feeling that they didnít care or know what to do in the first instance. I put her in a large crate where she moaned, panted, drooled and finally after about 45 minutes, threw up several quarter sized pebbles. She has been fine ever since. After one more bad interaction with the same vet we have never been back and I made sure they knew why. For the most part I revere Veterinarians so this was a frustrating situation to see such a lack of interest. Iíd worked for vets for 5 years.
    So, after that rant.

All you can do is remove the temptation or watch and nag. Put the dog on a non-pebble surface. Do not let them eat off of gravel; sled dog people have this problem too. Poop eaters (again gagg but they do it) will swallow pebbles.

http://www.alaskadognews.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Jess,

It's called Pica. Here are some links for you, and yes, they can grow out of it, and be trained not to do so but it means keeping a VERY close eye on the dog/pup.

then there is what i tell my neighbor ... who works at the post office..

mine like rocks due to mailman deficiency in his diet...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the great info... it sure does help to know she will be okay. She can just be a dork sometimes... yummo rock
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default What you said

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Jess,

I was typing when you posted - good article! ( i think i said some of what they said)
    Lucy (7)must have Pica. She is licking everything. And its true that she has not gotten attention as much and Im sure she knows hunting season is here.In fact the Saluki mix, Dane, Chocolate Lab all have the attention getting techniques down pat. If I take them on a 1/4 mile romp a couple of times a day, or spend some time training they are fine, otherwise they are jumping on the picnic table or play loudly so I come out and yell at them. The Saluki has found a way into the greenhouse and is tearing up plants all from me being to busy to take them out.

www.alaskadognews.com

Yep, she'll be fine as long as she doesn't end up with a blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Thanks for the great info... it sure does help to know she will be okay. She can just be a dork sometimes... yummo rock
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thanks Linda, I have experienced this many times in all my dogs. It seems it never fails, I always end up with a rock eater, or poop eater...

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I was typing when you posted - good article! ( i think i said some of what they said)
    Lucy (7)must have Pica. She is licking everything. And its true that she has not gotten attention as much and Im sure she knows hunting season is here.In fact the Saluki mix, Dane, Chocolate Lab all have the attention getting techniques down pat. If I take them on a 1/4 mile romp a couple of times a day, or spend some time training they are fine, otherwise they are jumping on the picnic table or play loudly so I come out and yell at them. The Saluki has found a way into the greenhouse and is tearing up plants all from me being to busy to take them out.

www.alaskadognews.com

Light Bulb Moment!
    After reading about the Pica. It has now come to my attention that my 12 old would sit on the porch and toss pebbles for Lilly to find. SHAME ON ME!!
    Lilly would bring the one she would throw back and she would praise her for finding it. This makes sense now.
    Hard lesson learned for all of us. Like I said, Shame on me
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com