Thread: Kodiak Silvers ?

Default Kodiak Silvers ?

Headed to Kodiak in 2 weeks to fish the road system. Does anyone have any recommendations on which rivers are a must hit? I understand the Buskin is typically busy. Booked a ATV trip to the Saltry is it worth the $?

Lot of good rivers to fish, buskin is actually not to bad if you do some walking, it's close to town but most people target several spots and there are a lot of lesser spots you can have to yourself.

The only Must hit river for me is Pasagshak just because the fish are some of the biggest on the island and the biggest on the road system for sure.

quite honestly though i target the hell out of silver but do 80 percent of my fishing in the salt or in the lakes out of my pontoon boat or float tube. Kodiak rivers are small and they fight much better in the open

If you have any more questions let me know and stop by and say hello if your flying in cuz i work at the airport.

Thanks, in on that first flight from ANC. Staying with Gus at Russian River Lodge.
    I heard the Pasagashak silvers are large but river is shallow, more flossing than stripping & drifting.
    What are the opportunities to hit the beach to catch fish before they hit the river?

Default Saltery adventure...

You will not regret your decision to venture to Saltery Cove via guided ATV. Those outfitters have got their acts together. The ride alone is almost worth the price.

Bring your amber glasses in case the day is dreary, and a good pair of insulated gloves will do you justice while at the throttle.

Saltery was hot this year with keep 10 reds via EO of ADF&G; and that's two years in a row.

Your chances of seeing a bear on this adventure are pretty good...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Many places

To fish this time of year in Kodiak. I miss being there this time of year. Buskin, American, Olds and Kalsin Pond, Pasagshak, and my favorite was trolling in salt water. Your Saltery trip will be a great day. Maybe even take a look at a trip over to the creeks on Afognak Island. Your going there at a great time. Kalsin Pond and Pasagshak River mouth, I would throw big spinners. Vibrax #6 in any color. Other spinners too, go bigger if you can. The folks at Cy's Sporting Goods and Mack's will definately help you out, right in downtown.

Thanks for the info, sounds I am in for a good time Typically flyfish but am bringing the casting rod along as well. Thought to give it a try off the beach if fish are hanging around waiting to come in. Have pixees & vibrax.
    I am going solo other than the day I hied a guide to show me around, how worried should I be of the bears? Bringing an airhorn and don't walk through the brush when light is dim

Default Bear Facts ADF&G

If you keyword search that title on your computer you will find some excellent information on what concerns you. It was comprised by those in the know, and it should give you some good advice.

Kodiak encounters vary; I never saw one both on the road system and during times to Saltery during my first fours years of visiting, yet my wife had an encounter on the Buskin on her first 48 hours on the island.

Locals see them more frequently than the vistor simply due to being there year round, yet one simply never knows when they will show.

Stay informed. Read the information available, and follow it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Saltery...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    You will not regret your decision to venture to Saltery Cove via guided ATV.
    Rosenberg/Florida
    Anyone have a guess how long the ATV trail is from the last place one could reasonably drive a 4x4 to the river/cove? I suppose that mountain biking might be outside the realm of possibility...anyone have any experience with it?

If you don't like your 4x4 you can make it the entire way out. The half way point is doable but after that you will start in the rough stuff and then the mud. If you don't do any major off roading and don't have a winch, leave your truck at the trail head.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    If you don't like your 4x4 you can make it the entire way out. The half way point is doable but after that you will start in the rough stuff and then the mud. If you don't do any major off roading and don't have a winch, leave your truck at the trail head.
    AKflyfisher,
    Thanks for your note - go no farther than the 1/2 point in conventional 4x4. Sounds like great advice...

From the "1/2 point" to the Saltery, how much further do you think it might be? I ask because I thought it might be a decent chance to mountain bike back there - it would save our group almost 1k in ATV rental cost...but I don't want to put our group in a bad situation on a trail that would be only suitable for ATVs, or a distance that is not reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Thanks for the info, sounds I am in for a good time Typically flyfish but am bringing the casting rod along as well. Thought to give it a try off the beach if fish are hanging around waiting to come in. Have pixees & vibrax.
    I am going solo other than the day I hied a guide to show me around, how worried should I be of the bears? Bringing an airhorn and don't walk through the brush when light is dim
    My grandmother is a lifelong Kodiak resident and she'll swear to you today she's never seen a bear there, that's 75 years not seeing a bear. I have seen many bears myself though and that's why I prefer to stay in the boat!

Default Saltery Drive

This article says it's 16 miles http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...04_kodiak2.htm

I thought I remembered hearing it was more. I know there are several stream crossings. The American River down below is one of the biggest on the road system, not sure up above where you have to cross if you could wade with a mountain bike. From Google Earth and the topo maps doesn't look like there's much elevation gain.

I was wondering how much of the are around the saltery streams is private or if it's all fairly accessible. Do the ATV people have special access or is it open to whoever?

If someone was really adventurous it would be cool to back pack over and stay a few days.

Default one tough trail...

Saltery Cove is pretty much wide open to anyone who can penetrate it. No permits are required. I've witnessed 4X4's that make it, but they are local ownership and are operated by those in the know, and even then those trips are very infrequent.

Rental 4X4's are prohibited via leasing contract. Try to make it in, get stuck, and it will cost you plenty to get hauled out. (the locals used to have a name for that one, it was called The Thousand Dollar Hole) Look around, there are vehicles that tried and failed, and though many have been halued away, a few still remain.

I've never seen a montain bike on it, and I've been running it as a visitor and researcher since 2002. When it rains (frequently) expect plenty of mud and river and stream water. When it dries (sometimes) expect plenty of dust and holding muddy potholes.

There is elevation, including a moderate pass. There are also plenty of hills. The trail surface runs the gamut from packed earth/loose sand/hard cracked rock/bogs/potholes/river crossings/stream crossings, and changes every season dependent on how the weather hammered the trail during the winter.

Persons sometime do camp down there, but they are those in the know who are bear aware. I've seen a tent riped to shreds from those who weren't.

If you are not local, leave it to the experts who provide guide services and pay the tab to experience this unique adventure. Their equipment, care, and expertise is worth every cent.

As far as fish goes, it just about doesn't get any better. ADF&G has signed off EO's on Saltery the last two years and it's been keep 10 sockeye. That's as good as gets for any out-of-towner, just about anywhere in Alaska.

www.kodiak.org lists those guided services who handle Saltery and I've ridden with the vast majority. Trust me, they are excellent.

Saltery is one tough trail, but it is tougher on your memory. Ride it just one time, and it will never leave you...

Rosenberg/Florida

Saltery trip was good, the road is not that bad to ride if you have some experience on a quad. Smaller groups in my opinion are better so that you are not waiting for everyone to catch up. It was me and guide only and did it in 80 mins. Fishing was not as hot as I would of expected. Saw lots of fish but everything you throw from flies, blue fox & eggs gave them lock jaw. Was not until 1pm, just above the weir that they turned on. 3 fish 10+# in 30 mins swinging a pick leech. Did better fishing the road with 6-10 fish days on the fly. Disappointed in not seeing any bears.

I tried mountain biking to the Saltery last year and it was a mild disaster. Made it seven miles in the pouring rain with my fishing gear in a backpack, riding a walmart special bike that was borrowed from a friend...then the cap screw that secured my seat in place broke and I was left with a bike with no seat. I decided to call it a day and rode back to the car and fished the Olds for the rest of the day.

As far as the actual biking, it's pretty easy riding for the most part, at least in the first seven miles. You have to walk your bike through a few deeper crossings, but otherwise it's flat and decent terrain for the most part. I'd definitely give it another shot, especially if I had my own bike, or at least a bike that I trusted a bit more than that walmart wonder.

The epilogue to the story is that since the bike was a loaner from a friend, I decided to fix it before returning it (it was just a busted screw, after all). Well, if there is a 7mm cap screw on the island of Kodiak, then hell if I could find it. I tried the bike shop, the hardware store, the auto parts store...7mm cap screws just aren't on that island.

Here's a couple caps from a crappy video of biking through one of the shallower crossings along the way:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default thanks all...

Quote Originally Posted by scrivz View Post
    I tried mountain biking to the Saltery last year and it was a mild disaster
    thanks all who responded to the mountain bike question - we'll atv it back there with a guide or not go at all...

Only 11 months and 2 weeks to go...

any current updates on road system kodiak silvers??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Road system 9/20-29

We just got back yesterday.

First couple of days fishing was difficult. Lots of fish present on the Buskin but you had to work to find biters and limits took time. Eggs were producing. We fished a nearby but off the road system stream (got there by boat) and it was the same situation. The bite was definitely off. The 24th had quite a bit of rain. Not enough to blow things out but the rivers came up some. The Buskin turned on a little but most of the fish moved through by the 25th and it died off. A couple of the other streams were decent on the 25th and 26th. I had a great 15 fish afternoon/evening on one of them on Saturday the 26th. Then by Sunday the 27th the water had dropped and the fish were hunkering down and harder to entice. I fished the same stretch from 4-8 in the evening and only managed 3, and it wasn't because they had moved up.

With all the rain this September I was surprised at the number of pinks still around.

I'd say the vast bulk of the Buskin run has moved into the lake. We didn't hit Pasagshak. The guys we met who had been out to or were staying at Pasagshak said the fishing had been poor. Reports from the saltery weren't that great either. The 27th was our last day on the road system as we were able to fish salt on the 28th.