Thread: 1999 Polaris Ranger 6x6 ignition problem

Default 1999 Polaris Ranger 6x6 ignition problem

I have repaced the coil, the plug wire, and the plug. It is getting gas and air, just no spark. The only time it does get a spark is when I first start to crank it, then it doesn't spark anymore. If anyone knows what steps to take to find this problem, please let me know.

Default Hmm.....

Power to the coil? Is there a ground wire/strap that is off?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I would clean all the grounds

first, then go thru the rest of the connectors.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I've checked all connections, and they are fine. It could be the magneto or one of the (things that have about 5 or 6 wires running into it?) I don't have a parts list handy at the moment. Is there a way I could test from the magneto to the coil?

Sounds like the ignition switch is off unless it is cranking. I have the same model and the ignition switch has been changed twice.

I have had to change the switch in my Ranger 3 times over the years, i have complained about it every time i have had to buy one but same old story. HUH OH WELL,THATS THE WAY IT IS.

I sprayed graphite into my new switch last time. I am hoping the extra lubrication will help it to last longer.

Its not the switch. The motor turns over and everything seems to work. I'm just not getting the spark needed.

The switch could allow the motor to turn without allowing a spark,but who knows.

Default Some ideas...

1. Try disconnecting the black wire coming off the CDI. This is the ignition kill wire. If this wire is being grounded for any reason the ignition will not fire. If the engine starts to run you will have to re-connect it, though, to get the engine to turn off. If this seems to be the problem, it could just be that it is shorting to the frame somewhere. The wiring underneath the instrument panel is really squished and I would check there first.

2. A note--it is possible for the key switch to turn over the engine without starting the ignition. In the off position the key switch closes the kill circuit. In the on position the key switch opens the kill circuit and closes the 12 volt power circuit--lights, etc. In the start position the key switch must close both the start circuit (power to the starter solenoid) and close the 12 volt power circuit primarily so the fuel pump can run. So if thekey switch is not breaking the kill circuit in the on or start positions the ignition will not fire even though it is cranking the engine and providing 12 volt power to everything.

Hey my son just fixed a king quad that was doing that he said there is 2 computer modules ones around the gas tank and one is infront around the handle bars he unplugged them and gave them a good cleaning with electric clean and put a new battery on it he says if that doesnt work then take them to your dealer and have them tested to see if they are working properly