Thread: Fly Fishing Questions

Default Fly Fishing Questions

I'm going on a 10-day guided brown bear hunt in SW Alaska, during which my dad will be doing some fly-fishing on a decent-sized river. I have an excellent guide, but he's out hunting right now. So I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions about fly fishing. My dad is a very very good fly-fisher, but most of his experience is in the Rockies and Midwest. (I know next-to-nothing about fly-fishing).

Most importantly, what size/weight of tapered leader should my dad get?

He will be using a 7-lb/wt, fast action rod.

My guide says that we will be fishing for rainbow trout, dolly varden char, and grayling. He suggested the following flies:

Black Gnat
    Elk Hair Caddis
    Lake Leach
    Egg Sucking Leach
    Woolly Bugger
    Muddler Minnow
    Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Does that sound about right? What size hooks should my dad get?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds about right. You might want to get him a selection of beads to go along with those flies as egg patterns are sometimes "key" in the fall. As far as sizes go 2 thru 16 depending upon the pattern. Large sizes like size 2 for the rainbow fishing with flesh or leach's and smaller sizes for the grayling. They have very small mouths. I would also bring an assortment of leaders from 3 to 9 lb again small for grayling and the heavier for the big bows...
    Tight Lines,
    The Fly Guy

Kotzebue, Alaska

Definitely bring beads with you, those fiesty trout feast on those during the fall time.

Have your father read this article:

Then there are some good bead selections here:

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

Eagle River/ Juneau

Flesh flies, have flesh flies

also stimulators. For grayling he may want a 4 weight or something a 7 is pretty heavy

As for leaders I taper down to 2x for trout out west 4x for grayling and 0x or 1x for salmon
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.