Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevala F.

Default Trevala F.

Hi everybody! Great forum! Found a lot of interesting info here.

I just got Avet MXJ 4.5 and now need a jiggling rod.
    It looks like Shimano Trevala F would be a good choise but I coudn't decide on which model to get: TFC63MH 50-100, TFC63M 30-80 or something heavier like TFC58XXH 80-200
    Jigs will be 4-9 oz.; fishing depth up to 200 ft; size of fish - vast majority 12-50 lbs.

Please help!

Smile go heavy...

I have 2 of the TFC58XXH 80-200 rods with AVET MXL 2 speeds on them. I believe that their maker is being very optimistic with the line rating. Since most fish are under 60 lbs. they work fine, are fun to fish with and don't wear you down when jigging. I believe they are at their best when fished with 50 to 65 lb. braid, a jig 12 oz's. or less and a small reel that is set at no more then 15 .lbs. of drag. There is plenty of info on the web about them breaking when under a heavy load and pointed straight up at 1200. Why anyone would hold the rod like that is beyond me. My favorite jig rod is a G-Loomis Bucara that is 6' long and rated up to 40 lbs. It is more money. Another good jig rod that I never see mentioned that is similar and cheaper is the G-Loomis Muskie rod. It is also 6' and some what cheaper then the Bucara and stiffer then it and the TFC series of rods. It is my son-in-laws rod of choice when pursuing halibut and other Alaskan bottom fish. I would rather drift and fish a light jig rod then soak bait with a heavy "traditional" halibut rod anytime I am out fishing. Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna sells the TFC series for a litttle over a hundred bucks.

I agree with .338 mag. The heavier rods are much better. The 80-200 lb rods fish 16 ounce jigs great. I have not tried any heavier. I have two of the 100 lb rods and they lack the back bone needed to bury the barb while using a 16 ounce lead head. The 200 lb model paired with an avet MXL and 65 pound braid is a sweet set up.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I bought two of the 80-200 versions this spring, and fish them with older LX models. Very sweet rigs, light and compact!

Thank you! Found one TFC58XXH in a shop nerby and going there tomorrow to check it out. The jig weights for this rod is a bit confusing as well - 120-325... TFC58H range only from 270 to 325.

The jig weghts are in grams 120-325 equates to ~4oz - 11oz
    270-325 equates to ~9oz - 11oz.

It really comes down to what weight jigs you will normally be using. If you are fishing shallower water with ligther tides and don't need the heavy jigs to get down, the rod rated for the lighter jigs is the way to go. But if you'll mostly be using heavier jigs, go with the stiffer rod. If I had to choose, I'd lean towards teh stiffer rod as within reason I'd rather use a slightly lighter jig on a stiffer rod, then try and jig a heavier jig with a softer rod.

The line ratings are almost meaningless for jig rods, what really matters is what weight jigs they are designed for.

If your not dead set on the Shimano, you might want to look at the Okuma Cedros Speed Jigging Rod. B&J's had a dozen of them just before Christmas lasts year and I bought 3 of them. I wish I had bought 2 more. They are the cats meow and weigh almost nothing and tough as nails, not to mention they are a great looking rod. Don't know if they have more but take a moment and check them out.

http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/s..._detail&p=4830

How much are they in Soldotna?
    Do they always carry them?

On ebay, the lowest I saw was for $199.

Default Trevala F

These rods have been discussed on several occasions in the past, I know I've brought them up twice myself! From where I sit they are a perfect blend of fishability. On the line rating thing, yes I believe the mfr is somewhat optomistic with their ratings but none the less close enough for government work. Recalling that we have never boated a fish over 60 lbs, I went with the 6'9" 50 lb model. It's the lightest of the group and coupled with an Avet MX series reel is certianly the match for fish in the "under 100" range. In fact, this combination is lighter and more responsive than my Lami / 6500 rigs used for salmon! Had we discovered them sooner, that would be all I'd carry as they'll do it all. We fish jigs and bait and never feel under gunned with the Trevala's.
    Mike

Default prices...

I think Tustworthy Hardware in Soldotna had them for about a 110 bucks.

Default my $.02

If you're really only going to be fishing jigs in the 5 to 9 oz weight, I'd go with the 50-100 pound rod. Or maybe even the 30-80 pound. But that's just me, and I like fishing with a little lighter rod than a lot of guys I suppose.

I jig with 6'6" Penn Torque rated for 50-100 pound line. I love it. I've used up to 24 oz leadheads fishing water up to about 200 feet and can't say I've had any problems with hooksets or missing fish. Haven't caught anything over 60ish on it yet, but plenty of lings and 'but in that range. Proofs in the pic... my most recent ling with a 24 oz leadhead sticking out of his mouth.

One reason I could see to go with the heavier rod... that random monster fish. On a previous trip this year, buddy caught a ~250 pound halibut while jigging. He was using the 5'8" Torque rated 80-130 pound and an Abu Revo. Handled the fish well, but may have been a little much on my rod. Maybe someday I'll find out.

I think any of the light jigging rods will break if you point them straight in the air... but I agree with 338 mag that there should never be a reason to do that.

Trustworthy in Soldotna had some Okuma Celios speed jig rods on sale when I was there Sunday. I considered picking one up, but since I'd broken a tooth on the drive down that's going to be a bit spendy to fix, figured I better save my cash.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 04-20-2010 at 09:44.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

About a month ago I was looking for a Jig rod to hook my new Avet up with. On Alasgun's (and others) advice I tried to find a TFC58H or XXH. I called every shop I could think of. Nobody had one, including Trustworthy/Soldotna. The fellow I talked to there did say he had them for $199 but was out of stock. Tackle Repair didn't have the Seeker I wanted so I ended up back at B & J and had to settle for something less than I wanted. I brought my reel with and hooked it to several. I ended up with a Penn Torque TJ8013C58 (against the advice of some here). So far it's been great. Really light, plenty of backbone, and a real sensitive tip. Cheap too, only $119 as I recall. I'll hunt down the Trevala F this off season, but I haven't found anything negative with this rod so far.

Dont want to hijack a thread but this may belong here.

Has anyone ever tried the OTI rods?

http://oceantackle.net/products/jigg...-jigging-rods/

Lots of guys who complain about the Trevala F (tuna fishing) say this rod has way more backbone.

$60-80 more than the Trevala F.

I agree with .338 mag regarding rod breakage, I think most of it is attributable to the rod in the holder at near vertical, then getting bit hard. Only the tip gets loaded and snaps.

I've been planning on getting one of the OTI 300 gr jigging rods, but somehow this summer got too busy to get another rod and enough fishing trips in But now that I've started building rods, I'll likely put my own together this winter.

Anyhow, as far as breaking jigging rods, and pointing them to the sky, it depends on the type of rod you are using. Some of the rods will take way more abuse then any of us will dish out, and we generally don't run the massive drag settings or get the huge sizzling runs the tuna fishermen get.

Heck my little shimano scimitar salmon rods will double over if you hang a 10# weight on them to set the max drag on my reels.

Default Trevla F verses Trevala!

The trevala series was first on the market and they still make them and those are the ones you find in the $1oo range. THe "F" series came later and the best net pricing will double the earlier rod's price. Spend some time shopping as a lot of sites sell these rods and you can get them to Alaska for $220.
    Mike

Gear Shed in Homer had some of the Trevala rods - don't specifically know if they were the F version. They wanted around $150. Give them a call - great guys!

I had some of the 80-200 F series on my charter boat this summer. I honestly think most halibut rods are obsolete because of those rods.. I'd fish as deep as 500ft using spreaders or jigs, and the rods were great. Much easier for the women and kids to handle too.

Default 500'....wow

When you were fishing 500', how much weight did you have on? Were lazy and my heaviest weight and jig is 24 oz's. But were private boaters/fishers. I don't think we have used over a 12 oz. jig with the TFC58XXH rods. We like them.

I do a 16oz weight on all my spreaders. We don't have the big tides down here that the SC guys have to deal with though.

I've caught kings off the bottom in 400ft of water using those rods and 12oz butterfly jigs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast