Thread: Opinions on a Force 150 outboard?

Default Opinions on a Force 150 outboard?

1992 model 2-stroke original to a Bayliner Trophy. Supposed to have been very well maintained over the years and spent most of its life on inland lakes. As I have no experience with these Chrysler built outboards, I've been asking around and have gotten mostly poor reviews. However, the people giving me poor reviews admit they've never actually owned a Force motor.

Any opinions on these motors, especially from personal experience, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I also bought a used Trophy that still had the original Force haning on the back of it. It is now in my shed if anyone needs a parts motor! You see VVERY few of these things left. It's says are numbered. If you can get the boat cheap enough and can afford a new Suzuki or Yamaha 150 to hang on there, then go for it. I won't not count on it to last much longer no matter how it was taken care of. Both myself and a co-worker have the same 20' Trophy with 150's. Both had forces, and both now have Yami 4strokes. Gas milage went way up with the 4strokes. The Forces were terrible. and the power is way up as well.

Problems with force are lack of parts availability and no one in town will work on them. Also electrical problems are fairly comon with them. They do run good when they run but I would stay away

Smile Force outboards

I also have a Bayliner Trophy with twin Force 120s. I fought with them for two seasons before I finally repowered with Mercs 4-strokes. The best move for the money.
    Cons: having to mix oil with your gas, simple design makes for a motor not for long, lack of power, parts a long away.

Pro: can make run for a little bit of time until repower is affordable.

If parts are needed let me know.....

they make great anchors.

I'd think it would be a lousy anchor. Takes up too much deck space and it would be a real pain to retrieve...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thats one anchor I would not mind cutting the rope on if I could not get it off of the bottom

Default I had one........

.....and it gave me lots of years of good service but as it aged it became unreliable and parts and people to work on it became impossible. Lower unit also shot craps. I would not buy a used one or even use one,,,,just problems waiting to happen. I still have the repair manual for mine if youbuy one and WHEN you need it!