Thread: Anchorage Dock to Little Sue

Default Anchorage Dock to Little Sue

I've done the trip several times in different boats but this year my dad went twice and got stuck both times. He hit the mouth at the top of the tide on both trips. The first time he hit bottom outside the mouth coming from the direction of Fire Island. The second he was up the river and apparently took the wrong channel. I haven't gone yet this year. To anyone out there - has the bar come up out in front? Has the channel swung to the right more than last year? Maybe it is better to approach it at low and go in on a rising tide. He floated off both times, but it was a long wait.

For duck hunting - does anyone have ideas for that area? I see the cabins up and down the beach but I've only seen the geese in the river once.

And as for the missing beluga - they just hang out in front of the lil sue. Every time we go they are there.
    R

I have done this a few times successfully in my old boat. As I recall we leave the port of Anchorage a few hours after high tide, or as soon as we are able to due to the limited length of the ramp. The idea being if you get stuck on the way over, you will have a short wait to float off th the rising tide. On the way back if all went well, in theory you can follow your track on your GPS that you made on the way over.

There are lots of things to watch out for, such as getting stuck in the mud, standing waves due to opposing wind and tidal movement, etc. I would not encourage anyone to go do this, but for those that want to, here are some GPS points that hopefully will assist you. Use at your own risk.

Port of Anchorage - N61 13.538 W149 54.413 - Depending on the time that you come back, you may really need this. It is tough to find the boat launch against the lights of Anchorage when on the water out there.

Little Sue Turn Point - N61 12.627 W150 12.404 - Go to this point before you turn towards the Little Sue due to the extended mud flats.

Entrance of the Little Sue - N61 15.589 W150 17.879 - This is really hard to see from on the water, it all looks pretty gray and is hard to see the mouth.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. This information is a couple of years old, so things may have changed a bit.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Sounds about right

I did it last year without a hitch - except for bumping bottom coming out of the Sue with my prop (oops). The bar didn't seem as high in the front. It is very hard to tell where the mouth is when you are entering.

I've also raced across commercial fishing for kings. The guy I went with grew up doing it. He talked of water that was way rougher than what I've seen out there.

Thanks for the numbers - I'll compare to my own. We usually take a longer route - dock to Fire Island, then across to avoid the flats, but now it seems the channel has filled in out front.

Did you mean you leave the port a few hours after low and run up it on a rising tide? It really makes a difference running around against the tide - it really can move fast out there. I am now packing extra fuel and sleeping/camping gear (bag, stove, food) when I go out - just in case it's a long night.
    R

Yes, we would run against a rising tide. I agree that that can cause problems, but the advantage is if you ground you are not there long. If you wait and go near slack high tide, then you could really have a problem if you ground, especially if the next high tide is not as big as the current one! There were several times when we got down to the port and looked out at what was going on and turned around without getting the boat wet due to how rough it looked.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded