Thread: Fixing crumbly burger

Default Fixing crumbly burger

What do you guys do to keep burger from crumbling to peices on the grill and falling through the grates? I wonder if I didn't put enough fat in the mix initially, it was my first time and a friend helped me and she just threw in random chunks of pork butt with the meat and said that that would be fine, however it's not holding up at all on the grill. We tried to mix in an egg on someone else's advice but that seems to just have made it worse. Thanks for your help!

I never mix any fat in any wild game I grind and it holds up fine on the grill. I grind it up, pack it good in my hands, then place it on the grill on low heat. I let it cook a good while before flipping it and they hold up fine. I have also heard of grinding the meat with a few slices of bread but I have never tried that.

Default mixing...

If you're gonna mix it.... 10% pork fat is about as low as I'd go. You're still way more lean than anything you buy in a store (YUK!!) And run it through the grinder a couple of times to mix it in real good.

If I don't mix it, I'll add an egg and a handfull of crumbled saltine crackers IF I'm not getting it to stay together.

spraying the grates with a PAM helps a if they're sticking. Preferably hit the grates with the spray BEFORE you light the grill. It's exciting to spray them while the fire is lit..... but it's not a recommended practice. Don't ask me how I know........

If the grates are old, clean them up and spray them with fresh high temp paint. Just let it cure for a few days before lighting the grill. THEN light the grill a couple of times to bake off the methyl-ethyl-bad-*****. Or the easy way is to buy a new replacement grate and still have to cook it off before you eat off of it.

+1 for low heat and don't flip it too soon.

Thumbs up

Try this -

I put about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is awesome BTW) in as well as 1 packet of dry onion soup mix for about 2# of meat. Mix it all up well and form your patties.

Like was mentioned, cook it on one side for several minutes before flipping them the first time.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf2025 View Post
    What do you guys do to keep burger from crumbling to peices on the grill and falling through the grates? I wonder if I didn't put enough fat in the mix initially, it was my first time and a friend helped me and she just threw in random chunks of pork butt with the meat and said that that would be fine, however it's not holding up at all on the grill. We tried to mix in an egg on someone else's advice but that seems to just have made it worse. Thanks for your help!
    The egg does not help unless you put bread crums, corn flakes, or crumbled saltines in it too. Also If you but beef or pork suet, Mr Prime Rib caries it, it will be cheaper and bring up your fat content to a reasonable level to keep the burgers together.

There are much nicer used for pork butt, like pulled pork....
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Making meatballs...

Take two pieces of white bread and wet them down under the sink for a second apiece. Throw into bowl with two eggs and @ 1/3 cup of bread crumbs. Mix with meat. If too spongy, add more crumbs till the mixture is right.