Thread: Sharkskin fly line

Default Sharkskin fly line

Anybody have any thoughts on the SA sharkskin fly lines. Worth the $$ for salmon and steelhead on the kenai?

Default Yes

I've only fished with it once, but it really seems to float high. (and it really sounds neat when it flies through the guides)

Default its good but....

its good but it cuts the hell out of your hands if your stripping it all day using a finger as a guide. I like the line a lot but especially with we hands it seems to cut in pretty good after 3-4 hours.

Awesome line - Have it on my Switch rod....Like others have said...its sands down your finger....tape your fingers or wear a glove...

Default Good, but for the money?

I've only fished it once. (My Dad bought one for his 5 weight) I really wasn't all that impressed. It did cast well, and I am one who will always recommend buying the best you can afford, but in my opinion, a good mastery series line performs perfectly well for just over half the price of sharkskin. Add to this the necessity for gloves when casting, as mentioned by the others with more experience than I with this line, and to me you have a line that is definitely not worth the money. A good line is necessary, without question, but I'll take my mastery series lines over the sharkskin any day.

Just my $.02

I got one of these for a 4 wt. It is a great line for sure. Cast long and it does have a certain sound going through the guides. Some like it, some don't of course. But $100 for line is pretty steep no matter how you cut it. I like the SA gpx WF lines myself. But if you just want to try something different, why not. The Sharkskin is an awesome line and I see no obvious drawbacks to it other than cost. Just not worth the extra dough to most people. I doubt it will be on the market in 36 months. Not for $100 anyway. Folks are naturally curious about new things, that is why I bought it. My personal opinion is that there will be few repeat buyers for this fly line.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Have the original in a 6wt......think its the sharkskin trout? liked it a lot last year on a Kenai trip. Just recently picked up a 5wt. in the trout GPX and used it on small techincal streams in BC to bombing sofa pillows sized dries on the bow river and again was pleased with the performance. The bad is $ and heed the taping of fingers warnings of others or pay the price.

Coming up on 9/14 to once again put the 6 wt to the test again, can't wait

Default line

Not sure why you would spend that kind of money on a line for those fish. Dry fly fishing yes beads, streamers, and so on no

You can get a overrun for $25 and they work great or a Cortland for $60

my 2 cents

I fished the 7 weight Sharkskin GPX yesterday fishing with beads and it was awesome. I fished another six weight Sharkskin Ultimate Trout taper line today, also with beads and it too was awesome.

I cut my fingers with the line the first time I used it. But if you don't strip the line through your fingers, it doesn't cut you. At least it doesn't cut me.

The best thing about the Sharkskin line is not that it casts well, or that it floats so well, but that it picks up off the water so well.

I usually buy my Sharkskin lines when Mt. View Sports has their 20% off Scientific Anglers fly lines sales. With the sales price they are about the same price as the Rio fly lines and the others.

Default one tidbit missing

One of the big selling points of Sharkskin is longevity, but no one's mentioning that. In a lab environment, it has lasted much longer than any other line on the market, up to 3x. If it does the same in the field, then you'll still have the sharkskin after wearing out 2 or 3 of the $60 lines. The $40 extra you paid for it will suddenly be a savings instead of extra expense. I get one season out of a line if its the only rod I use, 2 if its part of the gang of rods. If I get 3 seasons out of a sharkskin, then I've saved $120. Plus the added performance, such as easier mending, and its a no brainer.

Default longevity

I read a little about the lab tested longevity, but I am curious to see how it lasts on the river. A couple of my friends fish Sharkskin, and I have cast it and like it, but I am going to wait another year and see how it is holding up before I buy any of it.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Is there dirt or sand in the lad tests? with the cover design that it has, it is very subjective to getting dirty and very hard to clean once this has happened. I think in a lake application where you are fishing from a float tube or single cat it would be fine but on the river where it is open to more dirt it will be an issue. Once the dirt and grit are in the grooves it won't be good on the guides either.

I believe it is a love it or hate it line. The zipper noise it makes is what I don't care for, but it does cast very well and the pick up off the water is great.

i have one for my 6 weight, and love it... the only downside is that it is actually almost too smooth going through your guides. if you accidentally let go with your stripping hand the line flies right out of your guides. it casts further than any line i've ever used, and i like the sound it makes. the floatability is also very good, and it lasts. i'd recommend trying it at least.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

After reading about the line on here, I ordered a pretty pink 5 wt and blue 5 wt and a green 7 wt. The 5 wts are trout taper and the 7 is steelhead taper.

I'm interested to see what happens.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Longevity

This is the 1st season I have used the Sharkskin fly line. I have it on a 9'0" Winston.I am out at least 3-4 times a week flyfishing as I live right on a great cutthroat stream and have 3 lakes within 10 minutes of hiking. This line is a very high-floater and for me, it mends extremely well when nymph fishing. The biggest difference I have noticed is that I do not have to clean this line not even 1/2 as much as I do my Rio or Cortland lines. The only drawback I have, as some others here have mentioned, is that it is a little rough on the finger tips. At 1st, I was squeemish like everyone else about the price-but since when has the price of anything regarding flyfishing been an issue?!

had the welded loop fail on me yesterday... wasn't stoked about that, but all other aspects of this line have been great thus far
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Hmmm. You might have a point...

Quote Originally Posted by remotealaska View Post
    This is the 1st season I have used the Sharkskin fly line. I have it on a 9'0" Winston.I am out at least 3-4 times a week flyfishing as I live right on a great cutthroat stream and have 3 lakes within 10 minutes of hiking. This line is a very high-floater and for me, it mends extremely well when nymph fishing. The biggest difference I have noticed is that I do not have to clean this line not even 1/2 as much as I do my Rio or Cortland lines. The only drawback I have, as some others here have mentioned, is that it is a little rough on the finger tips. At 1st, I was squeemish like everyone else about the price-but since when has the price of anything regarding flyfishing been an issue?!

You might just have a point about the costs associated with fly-fishing.

I have to wonder though, if this sharkskin is that hard on the fingers, isn't it going to wear down the guides faster as well?

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but what cutthroat stream are you near?