Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does rabbit taste like? Might hunt em

Default What does rabbit taste like? Might hunt em

Well im going on the denali highway here soon and am looking to see if i can get a rabbit or 2 and pharmigan. For my small game i am using would be a .22 rifle with scope and lets see what i get..

Rabbit tastes like Spotted owl, with a hint of armadillo.....

K i wont hunt em but man grouse and pharmagian is awesome!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

few rules for hare hunting...

1. never hunt before turning white

2. never hunt after turning brown.

cookem like chicken wait for the skeeters to leave befoer hunting and will they taste better then two..

actually a good table fare.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The rule I grew up with is no hunting rodents in a month without a "R" which amounts to the same as Vince's.

I love rabbit, one of my favorite small game meals. No it doesn't taste like chicken it tastes like rabbit. Only way you will know if they are on your menu is to try one. Again cook similarly to chicken or in a stew and give it a try. All game requires less cooking time, overcooking will produce a dry gamey meal. I have cooked my entire adult life and I'm convinced that overcooking is the most common reason folks get turned off to wild game.

BTW marmot is even better! And if harvested late will produce a decent bacon.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I cook the leg meat in stew and keep the backstraps to cook on the grill. When I get enough of them I marinate em, and throw them on the grill low heat. They taste like steak are are very tender. Can cut them with a fork!!

hmmm bunnies tasts like Tariyaki to me pretty much every time. Soak in water overnight in the fridge is a good idea w/ bunnies, some add salt but that is personal pref.

They are pretty gamey especially before they turn white. I have heard to never hunt them before a hard frost which gets you out there at about the same time. Marinade in buttermilk or whatever you want to I think teriaki is a great way to go.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Throw then on in a bakeing pan with some garlic butter sauce and keep brushing them. YUMMMY. You can do the same thing with Squirrel and other small game.

Another way is to wrap in foil with some garlic butter and flip occasionally and check often. If done right the meat will fall off the bone.

Stew or kabobs. Either way is pretty good. When Kodiak had a great # of bunnies, I used to crock pot the quarters, and put them over rice. Really good.

This is my favorite recipe for cooking rabbit.

Bone and cut up rabbit into 1/2-3/4" chunks and pre-cook it in a little bit of olive oil in a dutch oven then set it aside. Boil or micro 3 large cut up carrots, drain and set aside.

Fry 4-5 chunked potatoes in a little oil in the dutch oven and remove and set aside.

Add 1 minced garlic, 1 tsp of green mint & 1 tablespoon of oil in dutch oven, brown garlic and mint, add rabbit, carrots and potatoes. Salt to taste and add 1/2-1 tsp of black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar and stir. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.

grrreatt!

Hands down best rabbit recipe for someone new to eating rabbits:

Rabbit stew recipe includes rabbit, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and red wine. Ingredients:

• 1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • dash pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 4 cups water
    • 4 cups dry red wine
    • 2 cups diced carrots
    • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup water

Preparation:

Directions for rabbit stew.
    Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
    Rabbit stew recipe serves 4.

I've NEVER had someone try this stew and not like it. I've cooked it with beef in place of rabbit and it wasn't as good. Rabbit adds a special twist that makes it an excellent stew. I literally make gallons and gallons of this stew each fall and freeze it for the winter. I always use more rabbit and more seasoning than is called for in the recipe, it is a very versatile recipe and can be tweaked easily.

they fed us fried rabbit every week in the Marines, it tasted just like chicken, just a little tougher, adn skinnier longer bones. i like it.
    Semper Fi!

Chicken tastes like chicken, everything from a mess hall tastes like crap that's why it's called a mess hall!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Chicken tastes like chicken, everything from a mess hall tastes like crap that's why it's called a mess hall!
    your crazy! i never had a bad meal! now one time in the field we got a hot and it stucked really bad, as it was camel ribs.
    Semper Fi!

Default Rabbit is tasty...

I've never had the brown ones, only the white ones. They make a killer mid-winter hunt and meal, though. I think winter snowshoe hare beats out anything else at that point, as ptarmigan don't taste as good later in the winter as they do in the fall, and just about any other game you have is out of the freezer.

I've heard of people eating marmot with mixed results. If you want to shoot one, make sure you have a trapping license. You can take squirrel under your hunting license, but not a marmot.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    they fed us fried rabbit every week in the Marines, it tasted just like chicken, just a little tougher, adn skinnier longer bones. i like it.
    Ate a lot of fried rabbit during USAF BMT and scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow. Dang, all this talkin' about the different ways of cookin' rabbit is makin' my stomach churn! I'd like to give it a whirl in tryin' to smoke rabbit and see how it turns out. Rick, you're big into smokin' meat...any luck with the rabbit?
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Well im going on the denali highway here soon and am looking to see if i can get a rabbit or 2 and pharmigan. For my small game i am using would be a .22 rifle with scope and lets see what i get..

heck you can just use a pellet gun you know.
    Semper Fi!

The only thing that I would add is that bloodshot meat is gamier than the undamaged meat. Your first taste tests should be with clean, unbruised and un-bloodshot meat. I think rabbit is pretty good overall, but I hunt with a .22 rather than a shotgun to avoid damaging any more meat than I have to.

Brian

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well just ate the first ones of the season...

they tasted a little harey
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast