Thread: Kenai Reds July 15-19

Default Kenai Reds July 15-19

We hit the run perfectly this year. we fished the Soldotna area and had a blast! To hook into a chrome Red in the Kenai is a treat! The fight they put up is unreal. Add their fighting ability to the current and you have a winner. I never understood why 20lb line to catch a 5-7 lb fish but now i know! What a superb fishery!
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for a good post! So many of the posts about fishing reds deal with snagging/lining/flossing and everybodys opinion on it that the fishing sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. I'm with you...fishing reds on the Kenai in mid July, it just doesn't get any better

Try it on a fly rod and it only gets better!

I like the fly rods up by the Russian, but I seldom find spots where the current allows me to use them down river. That, or there are too many people to allow for longer fights. They are great fun when I use them, thats for sure!

I caught some on a fly rod but with the current being so strong i had a few problems getting them in. They are incredibly strong for their size. I sure had a blast with them. I only snagged two of them out of many caught. The rest were either caught or snagged in the mouth.