Thread: Leather holster care.

Question Leather holster care.

I have a Nice very stiff Bianci lawman holster for my 44 mag. I use it in the field and its always getting rained on and drug thru the brush. I want to treat it with something but I dont want to soften it up. Would I do well to put snoseal on it? Or should I just leave it raw like it is? I dont mind if the leather gets darkened. Im not worried about winning the beauty contest with it cuz its for being used but Id like it to last a while without getting soft or dry rot.

Smile

Does the holster still have some of the finish they put on at the factor?? thier coating stiffens the leather and puts a shine finish on. Pure neatsfoot oil is a very good leather conditioner and it will darken the leather. Lexol-nf is very good as well but does soften leather but not darken. Sno-seal is good too and will water proof to some degree. Get some bear grease the best there is. I have put it on saddles and really liked the feel after and water proofs some too. Warm up the oil slightly to penetrate a little better. If you find some bear grease let me know I need some.

Neatsfoot oil is great for veg tan and oil tan leathers, but I will add one more drawback to Wildwest's list . . . it rots linen stitching something offal! If you know its stitching is cotton linen donít use it but it donít affect nylon, polymer, and the like.

For me there are 2 schools of care, old faithful and new fangled.

The old school way is to just clean often with a glycerin saddle soap, I like liquids best myself. If you want more waterproofing add a dose of mink oil, bare grease, or other good natural leather oil once a year but still keep up with the glycerin the rest of the year.

New fangled is to silicone treat it once a year with something like Snow-seal, Camp Dry, Redwing Boots brand silicone, or many others that are out there. They say this cuts the 100 year life expectancy of your leather by 30% or so, but 70 years is fine with me. Silicone is final and you canít go back to glycerin because it wonít let oils into the leather after treatment, once you do it you are committed. I have a pair of Redwing work boots I treated when I got them in 1990, I have had them on my feet almost every summer day since and the uppers look like they will outlast my feet so itís a very good system.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

kg coatings have a leather cleaner and condition set up also galco holster company has a one step unit for cleaner and conditioner oil for use on holster ..

kg coatings is called kg-9-micro ptfe leather kote it comes a 2.oz sized and 4.oz sized jar unit

galco holster leather cleaner and conditioner oil
    thos are the two best typles i fould to clean and keep leather holster conditioned and looking good for field use..

Obenauf's is the best there is.
    Now what ?

Smile I always thought

That natural animal fats and oils would cause rot from the animal fat or oil breaking down once it soaks into the leather. After a long time of coarse. I think ill try the snoseal since I have some already. It does have a polished factory exterior and a rough interior. I cant tell if the stitching is either or.
    Thanks.