Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Trappers Association Scholarship / Becoming an Outdoors Woman Report

Default Alaska Trappers Association Scholarship / Becoming an Outdoors Woman Report

I just want to say again to the Alaska Trappers Association http://www.alaskatrappers.org/ THANK YOU for allowing me to be your scholarship recipient for this year's Becoming an Outdoors Woman at Lost Lake. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region3/Programs/BOW/ I really appreciated the experience and I learned things that I didn't know before regarding specific interests that I had.

When I first learned that I received this scholarship, my husband and I took the opportunity to sit and discuss which classes would be pertinent to me. I really did want to do some kayaking and rappelling, but he reminded me that I already know how to do those things and encouraged me to do the things that I don't feel very strong in or that I could benefit from. We decided on the four classes, but I didn't submit my class requests in quite yet. I waited for about a week or so and determined that there were different classes that I wanted to take. I registered them before taking a moment to talk with him one more time about it. When he read the email on the classes that I requested for, he was shocked to see what I selected. He thought that we decided together, but I was happy that I changed my selections because the four classes that I chose were probably the ones that I would have learned the most from in the long run.
    I selected:
    Trapping
    Firearms Safety
    Rifle
    Gourmet Backpacking

I'll be putting a brief (less than 3 minute) picture slideshow/presentation together for the Alaska Trappers Association Meeting in October in Fairbanks this year in addition to this thread in appreciation for their sponsorship for me.

I decided that I wasn't going to have any expections going into this event. It was probably a good thing because I learned towards the end of the conference that I was far more confident in my outdoors skills than I allow myself to have credit for.

There were around 100 women that attended the event:

My first class was Trapping.
    I wasn't going to take this class at first. I thought that it would have been good to be there because of the fact that my scholarship was from the Association.
    I ended up learning that I actually enjoy trapping more than some of the other outdoors activities that I participate in. Why didn't someone introduce me to trapping sooner than this?
    By far, this class was the most enjoyable class throughout my weekend. It was complete hands on and we kept moving. All my questions were answered. I know when to scout a location and I know how to partner with someone to 'learn the ropes'. I know that most people take off on their snowmachines to go Trapping, but because that may not be an option for me, I learned that I could easily go out by snowshoe. This is something that I could do.

Because I promised Pete Buist that I wouldn't show my black mail pictures, I'll refrain from doing that unless a good price is offered. (smiles)
    My presenter/educator was Randy Zarnke with the Alaska Trappers Association:
    http://www.alaskatrappers.org/presmess.html

How to trap a mink.

One way to trap a marten.

The cubby or the 'little house'.
    Lurker.

Here is the snare I created:

My second day ended up being interesting.
    I signed up for Firearms Safety and Rifle.
    Thanks to Kirk Lingofeld for being our instructor. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...g=info.contact
    I didn’t know what to expect from this class. One thing that I wanted to get out of it was being able to be fully confident in using my firearm. Story after story that I heard was about women that had the same inauthentic fears that I did regarding their rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
    I learned to always check my safety on a shotgun

And a rifle

In my group, Laurie, Ann, Mickey and myself were pretty cold until we got into the sun.
    Lurker.

For lunch, I met up with my friend Amy who attends church with me. She’s also Outdoors Directory Member Opie’s wife.

Next was rifle.
    Now… I really thought that I wasn’t going to learn too much from this class. I learned on the contrary. Our instructors were outstanding. He’s the rifle coach at UAF and she’s his wife and also on the rifle team: Dan and Amber Jordan.
    http://alaskananooks.cstv.com/sports/c-rifle/mtt/jordan_dan00.html
    I learned what prone is.

This position, by far, is the most comfortable position for me to shoot in:

I am being instructed by Amber on how to kneel and shoot. She did an amazing job of being patient with me:
    Lurker.

That evening, it was busy because we had a series of activities planned. My husband and my children came to visit me at the camp. It was my son’s 9th birthday. I thought that I would be able to have dinner with them at the camp. Instead, we took off to Delta Junction to have some bison burgers. My son was happy to see me and happy that he was spending his birthday coming to visit me and steal me off for his birthday dinner. He was happy to get a hunting pack, free ice cream from the bison burger place, and to be able to competitively run against our oldest son and daughter in some outdoor running races.
    Lurker.

Sunday was our last class. It’s hard for me to miss Sunday at church. I have ministry responsibilities and this weekend was no different, but my husband took over my teens Sunday School class and I was able to learn gourmet backpacking from an amazing group of women… one of which is Sharon McLeod-Everette who is a female registered guide. That’s pretty impressive to me.
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/products/walk_softly_with_me.htm
    I was pretty cold at this class. I couldn’t warm up.

It was evident to me that I wasn’t the only woman that was interested in having decent food while being outdoors.

Here are 2 of the things that I learned from this class.

Who would have known that there could be flat plates that turn into bowls? What a great way of having a cutting board, too.
    For those of you that know me fairly well know my love for tomatoes. These actually taste pretty good!

This alone by itself was worth this class!
    I also learned different uses of my JetBoil and that my JetBoil can melt.

After this experience, I was affirmed that my outdoors skills are decent, but needed improvement. It was best that I didn’t do what I thought was going to fun, but I chose the things that I didn’t feel 100% confident in.
    I also enjoyed being able to log 7 miles of running while I was there which is always difficult to do while I am at home. I enjoyed some quiet time alone by a campfire, was able to stare at stars, and listen to an owl whoo hoot.
    One thing is for sure. I have every intent to fill my moose tag this year and I feel far better about being able to do that. I am also going to look into the possibility of being able to trap and seeing if I could find a female friend of mine that would be willing to partner with me on the weekends. Maybe not this season, but definitely next season.
    I’ll probably not go back to a Becoming an Outdoors Women event unless there are winter activities that I am interested in learning more about because I am ready to put what I learned into practice and real life situations.

Thank you again, Alaska Trapper Association!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

P.S. I had to take a picture with this guy for chuckles. Many of you know me personally, so you will understand what's meant behind taking a picture like this. This will be the closest I'll ever get to a legal sheep because I have no intentions on doing a Dall Sheep hunt again.

One last thing...
    Sitipaw... it was GREAT meeting you. Thanks for entertaining Trish and I. It looks as if your system needs to be calibrated because you know I would have beat you out on a shoot out anyday! I am ready to knock your name off that shooting board. Until next time...
    Lurker.

K,

Thanks for this post, I think the BOW curriculum is great and glad ATA sponsored you.

Inre your last post in this thread...first of all you will hopefully (and you should) get out there sheep hunting again, and secondly, I'm glad you got to meet sitipaw, who is one of the greatest guys and instructors around these parts.

Cheers,

Default Glad you had fun!!!

Glad you actually learned something in the rifle class. Amber and I have a lot of fun with shooting. It has taken us around the world (literally) and it's fun to share those skills with other people! Tell your son happy birthday.

Dan
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Quote Originally Posted by danjordan78 View Post
    Glad you actually learned something in the rifle class. Amber and I have a lot of fun with shooting. It has taken us around the world (literally) and it's fun to share those skills with other people! Tell your son happy birthday.

Dan
    Dan! I had no idea that you guys were on here, too!
    I definitely learned something in rifle class! Believe it or not, it was quite a bit of work for me. I was really exhausted after our class was complete.

Thanks for helping me with the handgun. I really stink at it. I am going to have to improve on it. I just need to spend more time on it is all.

I was really impressed with my partner, Trish, though. Wow... she's another Annie Oakley! She won the shooting raffle, too!

My son says thank you for wishing him a Happy Birthday. He was asking how you knew about it.
    Lurker.

Thanks for this post and great pictures. Looks like it was a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Thanks for this post and great pictures. Looks like it was a good time.
    Hey! Thanks for posting! Glad that you took the time to read it.
    It was definitely a good time. Honestly... it's a great place for single outdoors guys to meet some outdoors women. A good number of them were single.
    (You can volunteer as an instructor or you can even attend as a guy to this event).
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

K. so i get this straight?

you went to school

to learn how to

GO OUTSIDE?

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    K. so i get this straight?

you went to school

to learn how to

GO OUTSIDE?

Ha! Well, apparently there are women that are scared to the core on doing some of the things that I have already accomplished which is understandable. I remember when I was scared to hold a gun. There were still things that I learned, though. I had no idea how to prone or the different holds for my rifle. I get all of the safety aspects of lever action, shotgun, and rifle which previously I only knew rifle safety.
    If you start me on trapping... holy Jesus, I have a new outdoors interest.
    Who would have ever thought that I'd be interested in trapping.
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Who would have ever thought that I'd be interested in trapping
    well.

most women come by that naturally.. with out ever realizing it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Co2Ak,

Looks like a great time had. Gotta get my wife to get in on this sometime, not during hunting season though!!!! Maybe the one in the spring. We'll see. Thanks for the pics. I'm sure my wife will be excited to get involved with this if your schedules line up with when it is happening.

Thanks again for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Co2Ak,

Looks like a great time had. Gotta get my wife to get in on this sometime, not during hunting season though!!!! Maybe the one in the spring. We'll see. Thanks for the pics. I'm sure my wife will be excited to get involved with this if your schedules line up with when it is happening.

Thanks again for posting.
    You might want to encourage your wife to only take classes that she's not strong in because if I took classes that really interested me, I would have been bored.
    Just as an FYI.
    Thanks for the response!
    Lurker.

CO, it looks like you had a wonderful time! I'd love to check something like that out, but like you, in most activities I'd get bored really quick.

I'm glad to see you excited about getting out and trapping as well. I wish we were closer, I'd be happy to pal up with you. Just remember, everything you learned is fantastic, but it is SOOO different when you actually go out there on your own and do it (I know, my hand was held for many years up until last year) I won't even go over all that has happened to me/us over the years. Each time out is always an adventure!
    I hope they taught you how to get your hand out of a trap, one handed!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

A friend of ours was at this and she said a lot of the women there were 'very outdoorsy' and let you know it....women with an ego she said.

Did you encounter any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    A friend of ours was at this and she said a lot of the women there were 'very outdoorsy' and let you know it....women with an ego she said.

hunt let me stop a young man from self inflicted personal injury.......

the women there were 'very outdoorsy' and let you know it
    is female slang for

UNSHAVEN...

some things we men types... just need to leave alone... at least untill your as old as Kinfisherdude...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    CO, it looks like you had a wonderful time! I'd love to check something like that out, but like you, in most activities I'd get bored really quick.

I'm glad to see you excited about getting out and trapping as well. I wish we were closer, I'd be happy to pal up with you. Just remember, everything you learned is fantastic, but it is SOOO different when you actually go out there on your own and do it (I know, my hand was held for many years up until last year) I won't even go over all that has happened to me/us over the years. Each time out is always an adventure!
    I hope they taught you how to get your hand out of a trap, one handed!
    I did actually learn how to get my hand out of a trap one handed. (smiles!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post

YES! Funny that you said that. I had to hold myself back on one of my classes, honestly. But there was quite a few women that were 'interesting' to say the least. I should be really nice about it. Let's just say that she had a whole lot of fun with her new 270 that went 'POW' in her arms. That little bite back was powerful. She was getting ready for a moose hunt. I am sure that she was a very nice lady.. I am sure.. I am pretty sure.

At this event, very outdoorsy = masculine features . That's all I got to say about that. The partnerships at this kind of event get kind of... well... you can't get away from it.
    Lurker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast