Thread: Trying a different hunting area.

Eagle River

Default Trying a different hunting area.

This just isn't my year I guess. Suddenly, all the well thought out plans for my hunt trip have disintegrated and now I'm trying to come up with a plan B. My neighbor was kind enough to invite me to join him and his friends to hunt moose with them so it looks like I won't be sitting at home. My worry is that I may feel out of place there since I only know my neighbor and not the other 4 guys. Well, that's my problem and I'll figure it out when I get there.

I'll have my ATV on my truck so I'll be very mobile so, if the moose hunt doesn't work out I might try a new (for me) place for caribou. I'm looking at hunting the Tok River drainage in gmu 12 during it's Any Bull season. I haven't scouted this area before but since I'll be up close to there anyhow I figured I'd pick up a topo map and hope to get extremely lucky. The one thing I haven't been able to locate is something that gives me a general idea of ATV trail locations in that drainage. I'm not looking for favorite spots here but just some general info. Are there a lot of trails, a few or maybe none at all? I'll be riding alone so are there trails that are quite difficult that I should stay away from? I'm not going way back in off the road and, as always on a solo hunt, I leave word of where I am with friends. I just want to be out in the woods with my rifle during my favorite time of the year and hope that I am lucky enough to spot a bull.

Any help with the trail thing would be appreciated.

PM sent Bookseller.