Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scouting mat-su

Default scouting mat-su

went sunday to look around and see what we could find for tuesdays opener. we found tons of fresh track loads of bear droppings found a shedded antler and two guys allready hunting! asked if they had a cow tag...nooooo
    isnt that the first thing you look at when you go hunting, like when its open? in other words there are guys out there allready.

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    went sunday to look around and see what we could find for tuesdays opener. we found tons of fresh track loads of bear droppings found a shedded antler and two guys allready hunting! asked if they had a cow tag...nooooo
    isnt that the first thing you look at when you go hunting, like when its open? in other words there are guys out there allready.

Thats a dangerous game!

That reminds me of a day bird hunting on Ester Dome decades ago. We were on a back road inside the controlled area and found two guys getting ready to go moose hunting. The control area had closed the day or two before. I told them they were in the wrong spot and even showed them the map in the regulation book. The area to the west was still open one more day. They thought they were in that area and even pointed out on the unit map the road they thought they were on. They were actually two miles to the east of where they thought they were.

The refused to listen to me and walked into the woods.

I overheard a guy talking about his hunting plans last week....he said he can't wait to get out "tonight"...it was last wednesday......

I asked if he had a cow tag, the reply was "No"...I told him the opener moved from the 20th....he was surprised, then pi$$ed, then thankful I told him........

I'm guessing there have been a lot of folks out since last Thursday.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I had planed to hunt in the valley this past weekend, but a quick check of the regs before I left work and I decided to head south instead.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I was up the Knik River valley past weekend and there were two separate groups of hunters riding around with rifles slung on their backs. I am betting they were out hunting too.

Several at the moose range on Wed. as well.
    Paul

I talked to a F&G trooper out near Point Makenzie on Friday while out hunting with my daughter's cow tag. He was still busy on the river since the silvers are still running hard. There simply isn't enough manpower to cover the amount of land we have.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default good areas PT Mac

any real good areas in point mac area? Never been out there for hunting looking for something somewhat close to go out too. Thanks for any help. I dont want to go on private property and get someone mad! Thanks for the help.

Greg

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GregInAK View Post
    any real good areas in point mac area? Never been out there for hunting looking for something somewhat close to go out too. Thanks for any help. I dont want to go on private property and get someone mad! Thanks for the help.

Greg
    Work the Power Lines, gas line easements and abandoned homesteads. Many of the homesteads are now owned by the kids that don't go out there anymore and are rapidly going back to farrow. The moose like the new growth willows and not so much to old growth spruce. If you have an atv, take a step ladder along, so you can see over the willows.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Lots of people hunting early!

I talked to my brother who has been out scouting by air. He too is seeing alot of folks out hunting too early.

Since these people obviously did'nt read the regs to know that moose is not open until the 25th this year, I wonder how many will quit hunting on 9-20??

I'm betting they'll know the rules by then when it gives them 5 more days in Sept.

I also hope the guys who did'nt read the regs and shot a moose before the 25th of August, punch their tags and ADFW catches the date killed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I also hope the guys who did'nt read the regs and shot a moose before the 25th of August, punch their tags and ADFW catches the date killed.
    That would be sweet justice.....get a summons for court in reply to mailing in your harvest ticket stub
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up you said it

I hope they do get caught! Its time that those who make things bad for us pay in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I talked to my brother who has been out scouting by air. He too is seeing alot of folks out hunting too early.

Since these people obviously did'nt read the regs to know that moose is not open until the 25th this year, I wonder how many will quit hunting on 9-20??

I'm betting they'll know the rules by then when it gives them 5 more days in Sept.

Default opener

Told lots of guys that thought it opened on the 20th, can only imagine how many didn't read the regs.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Cool NO bull seen

Went out this week to Pt. Mac only had a cow and calf come within 30 yards of me. No I did not kill the cow! I have morals some where...... Anyway anyone having any luck out there? Heading back out tomorrow. Will have more info later.

You've done better than us..LOL... 4 days total of hunting now and nothing but tweener bulls and my daughter has a cow tag..

I'm going to head up north with my Haul Rd. archery bull tag and try and stick one. If that doesn't pan out we will hit Pt. Mak with Kat's cow tag again at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You've done better than us..LOL... 4 days total of hunting now and nothing but tweener bulls and my daughter has a cow tag.
    You want to tell me where these tweener bulls are? I'd be happy to help you out
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Tweeners aren't legal... bigger than spike/fork..smaller than 50 and 3

I was gonna say, WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOOT HIM?? We're going out to Pt. mac tommorow evening so I'll report if we see any cows or maybe a bull.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Saw a little bull tonight, but it was just dark enough and he was just quick enough to escape us. Couldn't tell if he was legal.

Also did see a cow. In point mac area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast