Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SFW founder Peay's new sheep org

Default SFW founder Peay's new sheep org

From a mass email sent out last week by Don Peay, SFW founder:
    Fellow sheep hunters, the Full Curl Society (FCS) is an exciting new opportunity for those who love wild sheep, and wild sheep hunts. The attached file gives you the who, what, where, and why!

The FCS in conjunction with the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo will be offering 15 world class sheep hunts in drawings for those who attend the Expo, Feb. 11-14 in Salt Lake City, Utah. In our 20 years of wildlife conservation experience, the most important thing we can do is bring all hunters together, and that is the hardest part of it all. So, there is something here for everyone, and we look forward to very exciting sheep conservation and sheep hunting activities in the future. There will also be an auction for many of the best elk, deer, moose, goat, bighorn and desert bighorn as well.

The FCS will be holding their first annual meeting on Saturday, Feb. 13 at 2 pm. For those who attend, there are special free sheep drawing for those who have taken NO sheep, ONE sheep, TWO sheep, or THREE sheep.

If you are a non resident of Utah, there is a special drawing for desert and rocky mountain permits in the $5 application drawing.

If you don’t have and extra $20 Grand laying around, and want a world class Dall sheep hunt, for $20 you can apply for two dall hunts.

If you have already taken all four species of sheep and you want to help see Sheep hunters dreams come true, there will be some new and exciting events and opportunities for you.

Karl Malone and I are co-founders of the Full Curl Society. We have had the extreme pleasure of finishing our Full Curls, and over the next ten years, we want to build a team to see just how many more hunters can complete their full Curls. And, we will continue to do a lot for wild sheep conservation throughout North America.

Several other people are jumping on board as this Big Idea rolls out.

I have asked 8 Full Curl hunters if they would be willing to put up $10 Grand a year to help sheep hunters live their dreams, and 7 have said yes.

Others are going to contribute various other amounts.

I can see the day where the FCS might be able to give away 30 sheep hunts away at the annual Full Curl Society meeting, and we can share with you the wonderful wildlife conservation success stories accomplished by bringing lots of hunters together.

Look forward to seeing you at the First Annual Full Curl Society meeting in SLC on Feb. 13.

To Paul Anderson, Carl Shores, Mark Butler, Travis Jenson, Kenny Labrum and all the other hunters who have the chance to complete your Full Curls this fall, we look forward to welcoming you to the Class of 2009 FCS ! Best of luck.

Glad to answer any questions. It might be the first part of September, as I am going with a new young hunter who will hopefully take his first sheep soon.

Feel free to pass this on to all your hunting friends in cyberspace.

Send in your memberships, and give us time to plan a tremendous 1st Full Curl Society function, Karl and I are very excited about this project !

Don Peay
    don@sfwsfh.org

What's interesting about this new "Full Curl Society" is that it all links back to this address:
    Peay's Consulting Co. Inc.
    4477 Sunset Circle
    Bountiful, UT 84010-5885

Which is also the SFW address. Interestingly, SFW paid over $450,000 in "consulting fees" according to the last tax return available. Sounds like a good gig for Peay <grin>. They also list $429,000 spent for "tags."

Here's the bottom line: where do you think SFW and/or FCS is gonna get Dall sheep tags down the line, and how? If Alaskan hunters don't wake up to what SFW did in Utah and is trying to do up here, it will be a huge mistake.

So SFW paid consulting fees to Don Peay who is also the founder of SFW? Am I reading this right? Full Curl Society? Sounds like a club for rich folk. Not liking the sounds of this at all.

John, not sure who SFW/SFH paid the consulting fees to, they don't list to whom they paid that nearly half million bucks. Lot 'o dinero in consulting fees though, and Peay does have a consulting firm wrapped around hunting orgs and tags and outfitter/guide industry.

What orgs have recieved the Alaska Governor's Permits in the past? How are the allocation decisions made for those permits? I'm not very up to speed on the process.

Here is a little more information about the new organization. These are screenshots of the pdf brochure that accompanied that email. Sorry for the size, but it makes it easier to read.

More...

The last...

Please note at the bottom of the last photo that if you want to refer to your ram as a Full Curl, you now must gain written permission from Utah FNAWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Please note at the bottom of the last photo that if you want to refer to your ram as a Full Curl, you now must gain written permission from Utah FNAWS.
    HAHA....That is great. I guess they could make a bundle in lawsuits from the hunting gallery pics over the years here. I guess from now on we are all gonna be shooting "complete curl", "full circle", or "360 degree horned" rams.

Default Thanks Oak

All I can say is "Wow."

"Preparing to launch an Alaska Dall Sheep Recovery Initiative," eh? I would hope most here can read between the lines of the brochure info <grin>.

Brian, don't have exact list of what orgs have received governor's tags in the past, but it is pretty much all the national orgs that have auctioned AK tags. And the tag species doesn't have to pertain to the org (ie FNAWS has auctioned non-sheep tags). Orgs receive 10&#37; of the funds from tag sales, rest goes to the state F&G dept where tag comes from.

I'll see if I can dig up info on how many governors' tags we currently allocate. If SFW gets their way we'll be just like Utah and auction off 5% of all available tags down the line.
    AS 16.05.335. Complimentary Licenses.

The commissioner shall annually, at the request of the governor, provide the governor with not more than 50 complimentary fishing and hunting licenses and appropriate big game tags which the governor may distribute to distinguished visitors to the state for their use in any one season during their visits to the state. The complimentary license for sport fishing or hunting or both shall be inscribed by the governor with the inclusive dates for its authorized use. The governor shall advise the department on any complimentary issuances, which information shall be available to the public.

I wonder if they will sue me because of my license plate?? I've read enough here to see that this club is an easier way for the rich to buy more tags and screw the average joe out of an opportunity at a sheep.

Mr. Marc Bingham claims in his testimonial that he donated 4 million dollars to SFW because of the conservation and habitat improvement work they've done in the western United States and Alaska.

I'm curious to know what that consisted of and where it took place? How, exactly, does one improve sheep habitat?

Default how to improve sheep habitat?

maybe they are gonna terraform some new glaciers, or arrest global climate change?
    but all i see or hear is predator control and more hunting opportunity for the very wealthy... buncha crap.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    maybe they are gonna terraform some new glaciers, or arrest global climate change?
    but all i see or hear is predator control and more hunting opportunity for the very wealthy... buncha crap.
    Maybe move some sheep to uninhabited but formerly habited areas like Hatcher Pass. Takes money to do that.

Why is the ABHA always dogging out other outdoor Orgs ie SFW or AOC now Full Curl?

I don't know anything about Full Curl or SFW other than what been written on this site I guess its time to investigate.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Billy Dunbar of Alaska states that he is concerned about the lack of new, young sheep hunters coming up through the ranks. Let's make sheep hunting a millionair's club with a bunch of crap like the "Full Curl Society". Should really get more people hunting. That brochure makes me want to puke my guts out. I hope they confine their Dall sheep activities to Canada.

From "Conservation Activities" in the brochure, #1 on the list:

Preparing to launch an Alaska Dall Sheep Recovery Initiative - details to be announced at the Full Curl Society meeting
    I'm guessing that they will have better luck in the U.S. getting their "initiatives" pushed through. Just look what SFW has already done in UT and AK. They'll buy a couple of hunts in Canada to donate to members, but they'll be looking for AK tags to auction, in order to save the sheep, of course.

All pure speculation, I will admit.

Question let's think about this ...

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Maybe move some sheep to uninhabited but formerly habited areas like Hatcher Pass. Takes money to do that.
    the reasons places like hatcher pass don't have sheep are not going to go away. i don't see how anything but a tiny population of "viewable" sheep would ever make it in such a high 4-season use area.
    not sure how many sheep would have to be moved to establish a viable population where there currently is none, but i am sure it would be quite a few, and very expensive.
    and where would the sheep to be transplanted come from? is there somewhere in the state that there are enough to spare 20-30?
    so hypothetically, a population is re-established somewhere due to the efforts of "the full curl society" or SFW, and a couple legal rams can be harvested... obviously a drawing or... no wait!!!
    i bet the tags get auctioned off to benefit the responsible org, at one of their fund-raisers!!!! yep, you betcha, some wealthy patron will then reap the opportunity, maybe even complete his "full curl" (whoops, was that trademark infringement) club membership.
    don't be duped...the "full curl society" is one more elitist hunting organization that strives to make quality hunting a "pay-to-play" game, and they don't care about sheep hunting for "regular" alaskan residents.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave, If you look at the history of Hatcher Pass there was a decent population of Sheep before large scale mining in the area. They fed miners sheep and Caribou to the point that the Resident herds were wiped out. There are no F&G surveys as the damage was done before 1940.

So the problem isn't with a group trying to reestablish sheep in an area its a group with to much private money doing it.

Would it be OK if ABHA got a grant from the Government and did it?

Would it be pure enough?

What is the cut off point for being a wealthy patron?

People with money can hunt where the rest of us can't afford to hunt now, why would they need a evil Org to do it?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    People with money can hunt where the rest of us can't afford to hunt now, why would they need a evil Org to do it?
    The history of these "evil orgs" shows that they are typically seeking limited tags to auction off for fundraising. Look at what SFW has done in Utah. Over 500 limited tags are now removed from the general draw every year and given to these organizations for fundraising. A full 10% of all sheep tags in Utah are given to these "evil orgs".

Imagine being able to hunt the Tok for sheep every year, just because your wallet is big enough. I guess maybe losing 10% of limited sheep tags wouldn't be a very big deal to AK hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    The history of these "evil orgs" shows that they are typically seeking limited tags to auction off for fundraising. Look at what SFW has done in Utah. Over 500 limited tags are now removed from the general draw every year and given to these organizations for fundraising. A full 10% of all sheep tags in Utah are given to these "evil orgs".

Imagine being able to hunt the Tok for sheep every year, just because your wallet is big enough. I guess maybe losing 10% of limited sheep tags wouldn't be a very big deal to AK hunters.
    If I won a tag now I need a fat wallet for airfare to hunt Tok. When I see a proposal to take even 10 tags out of circulation then I'll get excited. Till then I'll let these evil orgs spend their money doing predator control in an area I can't even be in over night because of my race, and laugh.
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast