Thread: Yukon River, a few questions

Default Yukon River, a few questions

So I am headed up to the Yukon at Circle over labor day for a rather late scouting run. My dad is headed up from the 11th to the 19th so I wanted to check everything out before hand. A couple of questions arise. I've never been to Yukon. I've heard there is some native land that I should not park on. Where is decent parking/launching? Should I be concerned about theft or vandalism of my truck (i.e. don't leave anything in it)? I have a garmin ETrex Vista. I'm fairly proficient with it. Is this a sufficient enough GPS coupled with a decent knowledge of land navigation, river navigation and maps? Has anyone been up the river lately? Is the water clear, murky, high, lo? I was advised this weekend to try to get up the Charley river, is this a good idea in the pursuit of moose? I have heard there are quite a few bears up there, I would be just as happy with a bear. Are there a lot of bears? What about caribou? I know this is a lot of questions, so I'll ask one final question and get back to work...Are there many other hunters going up this way this year? Thanks a hectare! (2.471 square tons! Hahaha!)

Leaving a vehicle in Circle is somewhat risky. Talk to Dick and Earla Hutchinson at the store there and ask them where is best place to leave a vehicle.

The boat launch is right there at the end of the road.

The Yukon is silty, concrete-gray in color for the most part.

Tributaries right now are up a bit from rains last week. Not sure how much rain the south side tribs of the Yukon got, but our river came up quite a bit on the north side, has been dropping steadily, is what I'd say medium high now heading back to low if we don't get more rain. So the Charley could be up a bit.

Usually see a black bear or two swimming the Yukon when traveling. Moose population is low. Yes, you can expect to see everyone and their brother along the Yukon during hunting season, and up whatever tribs boats can get up. Good luck,

Default Thanks

Thanks Bushrat. Would you recommend heading toward Ft. Yukon from Circle, or toward Eagle?

Well, the nice thing about heading upstream is that if you have engine problems you can always float back to Circle. Not any tribs really between Circle and Ft Yukon either. If I were gonna go downriver I'd give a shot heading up the Porcupine. Gas is spendy in Ft Yukon. Not cheap in Circle either. Or Eagle for that matter.

Shoot me a pm...