Thread: Mountain Grizzly Hunt Gear - Opinions

Default Mountain Grizzly Hunt Gear - Opinions

I'm heading out for my first Grizzly hunt in the mountains of B.C. and I think I'm going to be scheduled for the late fall hunt...somewhere around mid-late October. I really want to make sure I purchase the right gear but unsure what I should get. I was thinking of getting the HH Impertech Rain gear. My upper/lower base layer is going to be HH Expedition and UA Cold Gear 2.0 as that is what I own already. As for Mid layer and Outterwear I was thinking of going with a complete outfit from the Cabela's catalog...either of the follwing:

Cabela's Wooltimate Fleece Series (Jacket, Vest, Pants, Henley & 1/4 Zip)
    My only issue with this collection is everything has windshear and I would assume that would make me too hot for the long hikes and not breathe very well??? Really isnt' one layer of windshear enough?

Cabela's Fleece Camp Collection (Jacket, Pullover, Vest & Pants)
    I was going to get the Pullover and Vest in Windshear and leave the Jacket and Pants without. I would think with HH baselayer pants and Berber Fleece Pants I should be warm/protected enough.

Cabela's Microfleece Series (Hoodie, 1/4 Zip, Henley and Pants)
    Again go with the Pullover in Windshear and leave everything else regular. I want a vest so I would purchase a Windshear vest from another collection.

Cabela's Berber Extreme (Parka & Bibs)
    Only 2 pieces and not sure if this would be too heavy/bulky for hiking. Obviously would need some other layers.

One of my main issues is being able to stay cool enough and not sweat when hiking. So I want something very breatheable as I tend to sweat too much during hikes.

I should have about $1000 to spend...hence the reason I'm sticking with Cabela's gear as I find it to be in most cases good quality for the price. I'm open to other online stores if there is something better and reasonable pricing ... any opinions would be a great help! Thanks

Paolo

I would head over to REI or similar and pick up a bunch of end of season mountaineering gear. Your bear should be in the berries and up high and I doubt you will have much problem getting close using the terain. Lots of better gear for better prices there, at least when it comes to mountain hunting!

REI ... I'm not familiar with them. Is there a website? I'd like to see if there is a store in Southern Ontario, Canada. Thanks

***nevermind found the website***

Paolo

Great website! The only problem with any online shopping is fitting. Also I want to make sure the gear is quiet and I find a lot of the "mountaineering" clothing is really rugged which is great but it's not quiet. Walking through any bush with that stuff and I'll spook anything within a km!!! LOL

I never thought purchasing gear would be so tough and stressful. So tough to buy gear for climate/area you are not familiar with. In Ontario I can adjust with the clothing I got and I can always go back to my camp, but out West in the mountains with an outfitter it isn't that easy. I'm hope everyone doesn't mind me asking a ton of questions.

Paolo

I only wear the noisy stuff for the rain. The rest of the time I am in fleece or shockingly enough a Military issue poly pro pullover. The "shocking" part is that I have lots of REALLY spendy gear and still go w/ it... I Lots of guys really like soft shell jackets. I have a Sitka 90% jacket and it seems like the perfect jacket. I say "seems" because I find that it is either inside of or strapped to my pack 90% of the time...
    My gear this year consists of a set of impertech rain gear (bibs and jacket) for backup which will be staying at base camp. For my hiking I have an eVent jacket and pants which will be only for rain and is likely not going to be very quiet. I am taking a marmot compressible insulating jacket. Mine is the inner liner from their "thunder ridge" coat but it is comperable to many others like the Mountain Hardwear "compressor" jacket. If I am up high and it is very cold and windy then this jacket will get put on as a mid layer under the event shell while glassing. I may replaced this jacket w/ a first ascent down version next year since they have tall sizes and a very competitive price (~$160). If these jackets are out of your price range then the Cabelas trans AK insulator may be a good option at about ($80). For a base layer I prefer merino wool. I just shop for the best deal and I am not that picky about brand. They are all expensive so if I can score a good deal then that is perfect! I also wear the loose fit underarmour but have had luck w/ the genaric "athletes choice" or something to that effect from Walmart. They are 100% poly and cost about $7 each, the only downfall is I am 6'5" and they are a bit short for me, the 6' and under crowd can't go wrong w/ these shirts. My cousin loves his military issue sleep shirt which is poly as well. The sleep shirt runs about 20 and I have seen the poly 1/2 zip pullovers for under $10 (https://www.armygear.net/ag/store/search.html).
    Pants to me are very subjective. I am still on a quest to find my favorite. I am trying out the Sitka Ascent pants this year. I loved their old "Mountain pants" but destroyed them on a hunt and swore the brand off. Well I sent in my Mountain pants and they sent me the Ascents so they get another try. I have Sporthill sp3's and many love them...They are WAY too warm for me!! I have relegated my set to snomobile duty.
    Boots, are another thing that is very subjective. One thing that is for sure if you skimp you will get crummy boots and have a bad hunt, sadly the opposite is not guaranteed either. There are plenty of expensive boots that will fall apart and tear up your feet. I have Kennetrek Mountain 400's they are a well made do it all boot. For mixed terain they are hard to beat, capable in the mountains but still able to hump miles of hills and flats. The Lowa hunter GTX are comperable. I think the lowa fit and finish is just slightly behind the Kennetreks but the boot is a bit stiffer and may do better in the mountains. Another one to look at is the Meindle boots available through Cabelas, by all accounts they are comperable to the Lowa and Kennetreks but I have never tried them so don't know how they rank. Then there are more dedicated mountain boots like the Scarpa Liskamms but if you are not going to be ascending scree slopes in search of sheep they will probably be too stiff.

I will be honest I get frustrated w/ a lot of the Cabela's gear, I find it cheaply made and it rarely lives up to the riggors of AK (despite having "AK" in the name...). For me REI is local and if I hate it I take it back and walk out w/ something new, I am not a fan of their "hippi" politics but for now the "hippi's" know gear. There are several stores like Barneys in Anchorage that are great to work w/. Then there are lots of specialty retailers like Integral Designs, Ti-Goat, Kifaru, Eberlestock etc on the inter-google that have a lot to offer.

Spend some time reading through the historical data available here using the search function for any products you find. There is also a great site http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ that will keep you entertained for hours! I love gear shopping!

I just went to Sitka's website and really like their stuff. I was wondering if I went with the 90% Pants and Jacket and Celcius Vest if that would be a good combo? Would also have base layer of either wool or synthetic. I have to say, I'm happy to have found this forum as I've found so MUCH more gear that is great and the members here are awesome...thanks everyone!

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    I just went to Sitka's website and really like their stuff. I was wondering if I went with the 90% Pants and Jacket and Celcius Vest if that would be a good combo? Would also have base layer of either wool or synthetic. I have to say, I'm happy to have found this forum as I've found so MUCH more gear that is great and the members here are awesome...thanks everyone!

Paolo
    I have the old 90% jacket and find I carry it way more than I wear it. That to me is the sign of a bad gear choice. The newer version is lighter and may be a better solution. I would never consider the pants for anything but very cold hunts. It is just too thick. I prefer a thinner pant like the Sitka Ascent or Mammut Champ then add a wool layer underneath if needed and if still cold throw on my rain shell

Thanks for the insight on the 90% Pants! I didn't realize they are that thick/heavy, this is why I wish I could find a retailer around me that sells Sitka. I would really like to try the gear on. However, reviews are in my opinion are the next best thing!!! Thanks again!

Paolo