Thread: do freighters have ok resale?

Default do freighters have ok resale?

Just wondering if freighters retain their value well? I picked up a 21' HB with galv trailer this year and installed a 20hp honda 4-stroke,paid approx $12000 canadian for the package,would I get $10,000 out of it?Approx 12-15 hrs on it.Looks like I won't get any chance to use it this year.If I would loose a pile of money I would just hang on to it

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Just wondering if freighters retain their value well? I picked up a 21' HB with galv trailer this year and installed a 20hp honda 4-stroke,paid approx $12000 canadian for the package,would I get $10,000 out of it?Approx 12-15 hrs on it.Looks like I won't get any chance to use it this year.If I would loose a pile of money I would just hang on to it

thanks

I don't know about 10,000 but you'd def want to ask that question to Scott Canoe. There has been a reasonable increase of intrest in efficient craft due to tight funds and expensive fuel prices. The closer you get to Anchorage the bigger the boats, the trucks, snow machines, and the guns get. But when some folks hit hard times they see guys like KK, FamilyMan, and me coming home with meat for the freezer. I'd save that big canoe for a rainy day.

Yea ,I should probably hang on to this one.More just curious if these canoes hold value.The rest about selling it more just thinking out loud!I think I would miss the freighter if I got rid of it.

Default Resale

I do think you would have a tough time getting anywhere near retail value on such a specialized boat. Market is to small.

Default Blame it on inflation but...

I would bet that I get every penny out of my old Grumman and Johnson 15 that I ever put into them.

Unless I miss my guess, in a few short years you will probably be darn glad you have the Freighter. A very workable combo for a poor man's riverboat that will get you where you need to go on a very tight budget.

The ability to line it, pole it, paddle it, row it or sail it makes it a sweet deal in tough times. Try moving the latest and greatest sport john without a fittyfive gallon drum of fuel...

Like most everything else, the money lost when you drive it off the showroom floor is hardly ever recovered, but, they seldom drop past a certain point once the new wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post

thanks
    Seems like that would be tough to get for the freighter. You can take comfort in the fact that at the rate we are going , that 12K Canadian will be worth about $24K US in a couple years.

Just keep it and get your money out of it by using it.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I've had my HB on a 2k galvanized trailer for a decade and have $3500 in it.....all in greta shape.....I suspect it has held value very well.

Arrow Scott Albany: $3200

I have a total of $3200 in my Scott, motor, and trailer altogether, though most of that is in the brand new 15HP 4 stroke I bought.

Yeah I think I could get that out of it - tomorrow - but I'll never sell it.