Thread: 26 cabin cruiser

Default 26 cabin cruiser

Hello
    Im in the market for a used 24-28 ft cabin cruiser. Something fishable yet comfy for the fam. know of any on the market? pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in SE View Post
    Hello
    Im in the market for a used 24-28 ft cabin cruiser. Something fishable yet comfy for the fam. know of any on the market? pm me

Check down in Valdez....the harbor office had a good listing. Many were Bayliner 2659's, 2859's and a few 24's. Depending on Family size here are your choices. A 24 many times will only have a V berth. The 26's can get you a V berth and a fold down table. The 28's will get you a V Berth, a fold down and an rear under deck bunk. The 26's and 28's will get you a fridge, a head, a stove and a sink. The 24's will be a porta potty, maybe a sink & stove.

I have the 2859 and I love it (so does the wife). Sometimes I wish it was a little bigger and a little faster, with a little more deadrise, but I still love my boat. We are a family of 3 with 3 full size Dobermans (use to be 4 Rotties) and we have stayed up to 14 days straight on the boat with harbor stops every 3 or 4 days. We have also had as many as 4 quests (less the Dobermans)with us on a 4 or 5 day trip.

Deck space on the back is good for 4. Any more and it gets a little crowded but I have had 6 rods out the back. A big halibut or a shark need to be keel hauled till done fishing.

If in Anchorage area PM and come by and take a look.

Default 26 Olympic

On Craigslist. Looks like a decent boat for the price.

What's your budget? You should call up dave at Alaska Boat Brokers in Juneau.

Default how big is too big?

I'm also looking into the used Bayliner option, was looking at several 32 footers, whats everyones take, can these be trailered and hauled?

The length is not the issue, it is the width. You can go up to 10'6" of width with a wide load permit. Above this you will need a pilot car and the permits are more expensive.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I own a Bayliner 2858, which we tow only twice a year: once to Whittier Harbor and once back home. It seems to me that the larger Bayliners are more cumbersome to tow than other boats of comparable length. Not quite sure why that is, but the bottom line is that I would not plan on trailering a Bayliner larger than 28' with any regularity. It's just too much hassle.

I tow my 2859 Bayliner to all driveable ports in Alaska. I am setup for towing. I am pulling with a F350 DRW, diesel & a manual trans. Other then the wide load sign and permits I move it around like most others move smaller boats. I also do try to avoid the Friday crush leaving Anchorage and then again on return Sunday. Many times I travel overnight.

I sometimes wonder why I bother with the permits as I watch boats exactly like mine going down the road with out and travelling on Holidays that are oversize restricted.

It depends on your budget. I bought a 1978 Fiberform with trailer for $3000. It has a separate head, sink, stove, V-Berth, fold down table. There is no upper helm, it's a sedan, so steering and all is inside. Sliding rear door. It's a 23" Baja sedan.

I've owned a 24', 26' and a 28" (Bayliner Contessa). The bigger boats are VERY nice and if money was no option for me, that's what I'd have again. But besides purchase price, there's fuel. The Contessa burned 14-21 gals/hr at a 21mph cruise (depending on load and rpms needed to get on step). The smaller fiberform cruises at 24-26mph and burns 9 gph at 3600.

I'll be the first to say though, it would be a bit tight for a family but they are good boats with tough hulls....and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post

I sometimes wonder why I bother with the permits as I watch boats exactly like mine going down the road with out and travelling on Holidays that are oversize restricted.
    Seen one this afternoon headed south.....no doubt when it went by it was an over width load. So much for the no travel with oversize after noon on Friday before the holiday weekend.