Thread: trapping pics

Default trapping pics

Here's a few from last week.Wish we had more snow!Cats open on the 1st.

Default Nice pics Steve

Nice photos Steve, hopefully we all get snow soon. My fox trapping has been TOUGH this year and will remain so until we get some white stuff. Here is a good shot of one overlooking the Bering Sea.

Thumbs up Good pics

Right on, go get em!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thumbs down Weve got a little

Picks of my first lynx that i caught in a fox snare last week. Too bad hes about 20 some days out of season. Had to turn him in!
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ing2006002.jpg

Nice looking cat hillbilly!Good size and color.Probably would have got you about $200.00 for that one.What area are you trapping?Looks like a good year on cats from Glennallen to Fairbanks this year.Good luck!

Might want to lower your fox snares hillbilly. A large lynx like that shouldn't get in a fox snare unless maybe it gets a leg thru. Shame to lose the income from a large male.
    Steve..........200? Any buyers near you actually paying that?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Martentrapper,sold 3 last year all over $200.00.Kept another two for mounts.My tax guy called a few days ago and said my full size is done.I had it chasing two sharp tails(a male and female)off a rock.I will post pics and soon as I pay for it(this spring).

nice pics. Thanks for sharing
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Hillbilly

What...are you trapping on Ft Rich?

200 bucks is a real good price. Better let the rest of these guys know where that buyer is so they can get that too, if they get good ones.
    You guys down there are fotunate, your trapping a building lynx pop. Pretty sure mine will be gone in a year or 2.
    3, all over 200, and you STILL don't have a digital cam? Am I going to have to send you one for xmas? Hahahahaha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default A few more pics from this last week

Default sal and martintrapper

Sal I have two lines one on Eielson afb and one on FT Wainwright. Martintrapper that snare was set 8in. off the ground with an 8 in. loop. Any lower than that and im wasting snares on rabbits. Im not sure how he got in it but he sure did it right.The guy at fish and game weighed him at 33 ILBS. Im not sure if thats big but i would have mounted him because he was my first lynx. Hillbilly

Trapperbob,great pictures!I have been trapping marten in paper box's for years.I like using them because the set stay's working no matter the weather conditions,less birds also.Something I found that might interest you is to cut the first4-6"'s off the box and then make your slots for your coni's.A pair of tin snips or garden shears works real well.The box's still stack nice inside of each other and you cut lots of weight.Since I have no snow yet I pack a 12 box's(6 side by side)on my pack frame.I also found using bungi cords to fasten them to leaning trees works great instead of have to cut and fish wire thru the box.It take's me about 2 minutes to make a set(with the box's pre baited at home)and then off to the next one.

Hillybilly,it happens sometimes.I had the pleasure last year of watching a lynx stalk a rabbit and I swear he did the belly crawl forever along a snowmachine trail.When you catch your next one think about a rug(like a bear rug).They look awesome rugged out!Here is some lynx pictures from last year.

This one went 38#'s,

Default A few pics from the past

Here are some pics of past years. Wolverines are my favorites. But beaver are very fun and the occasional pig is great.

Default steve

Thats a real nice cat.If you dont mind me asking. What kind of set was he caught in? I hope the next one i catch isnt till after the 15th. Ive been worried because ive seen several more tracks on one of my lines so ive shut down a few snares.Bob you are a lucky man to be in wolverine country. I dont think there are many around here. Thanks for sharing the pics. Hillbilly

Hillbilly,if you have lynx in the area then be careful.Cubby's are the way to go when trapping lynx.See the lynx thread to see how I build my cubby's.

Bob,AWESOME pictures of the skunk bears!!!You are lucky to have them on your line.I took my oldest daughter on the line today from sun up to sun down and had a great day with her.We caught 2 more marten and snared a otter.Being a fool made of by a coyote but think the next check will be it.Set 15 more snares,4 marten and 2 fox sets.Actually starting to like the lack of snow for getting around by foot but I know it's coming.Going up to my cabin tomarrow to build lynx cubby's.I'll post some pics next week.

Default More Wolverine pics

I am a conibear guy, I know there are places where they refuse. I have had the best luck with a cubby built from trees rather than buckets or boxes. I have snared two incidentally and thats why I always tie off with nine wire.

Default Nice Pics!!!

Got the trapping bug this season, will be out next weekend with my 10 yr old.

Will be setting for Marten with Box/Cubby sets, above ground. Thinking about using flower pots.

Hope to post pics of our catch soon after.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Arctic Hunter (aka ArcticTrapper)