Thread: Rifle values

Default Rifle values

So, what's the best place to find realistic values for my rifles? For example, I have a Winchester model 70 in .270 WCF that was made in 1938 with a Redfield 4x scope. It's no pristine cabinet queen, but it's in pretty good shape for a shooter. The prices listed on Gunbroker and such vary wildly. At this point I'm looking for replacement values for insurance purposes, but may be looking to sell/trade in the future. Any good online resources? Local appraisers? Have an opinion yourself? Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Buy a Blue Book of Gun Values. In Anchorage Great Northern carries them.

Just go see what they sell for.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you read my first post you should have seen I've already checked there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    The prices listed on Gunbroker and such vary wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    If you read my first post you should have seen I've already checked there...
    Sorry, I did miss that but it's still the best place to find a price. The thing is you must look at what they sold for not what guys are asking, you will find selling prices don't very much at all for like items. Fact is, no matter what price is stuck on an item it's only worth what someone will pay, so going to see what people are paying is the best you can do.

I have Blue Book of Gun Values from 1996, 99. 04, 08 and I find them about useless at giving a value. They show little or no change in like item price over all these years and they are usually 30-70% off the true sale values. They are very good for looking up gun stats though. For insurance you need to know if itís an actual value or replacement value policy and understand the deference before you give them a number. For a replacement policy you want to give a low number so you pay less, for actual you want to high ball some to CYA.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default For insurance...

you'll need to know top price, because it's most likely that it's the one you'll pay to replace your rifle! Gunbroker is a good one for that. Otherwise, I STILL check Gunbroker first, and ONLY pay attention to the listings that actually have bids on them. Anyone can list, and pull any price out of any orifice, but only the ones that actually have cash pledged give an idea of what someone's willing to pay for one. Grotesquely high bids are usually a 'pissin' contest' between a couple of fellas with bigger wallets than brains, and can be discounted. As well, so can the absurdly low bids. Throw out the high and low, and average the rest.....
    The Blue Book is, at least for me, tough to use, tough to find an accurate description, tough for most folks to transpose true condition to value, AND, the values are at least as old as it takes for them to go through the writing, editing, printing, shipping and sales process, so what, they're about a year or more old at best?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Sorry, I did miss that but it's still the best place to find a price. The thing is you must look at what they sold for not what guys are asking, you will find selling prices don't very much at all for like items. Fact is, no matter what price is stuck on an item it's only worth what someone will pay, so going to see what people are paying is the best you can do.

I have Blue Book of Gun Values from 1996, 99. 04, 08 and I find them about useless at giving a value. They show little or no change in like item price over all these years and they are usually 30-70% off the true sale values. They are very good for looking up gun stats though. For insurance you need to know if itís an actual value or replacement value policy and understand the deference before you give them a number. For a replacement policy you want to give a low number so you pay less, for actual you want to high ball some to CYA.

I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    For insurance you'll need to know top price, because it's most likely that it's the one you'll pay to replace your rifle!
    Ya your gonna pay top price when you go buy gun, but what is the insurance gonna pay you? What matters is which kind of policy you have, this determines the formula the insurance company will use to cheat you or pay you honest values when the worst happens! I speak from having gone through the insurance claim school of very hard knocks a couple times, once from a fire and twice from burglaries.

As the insured you want an actual cost of replacement policy then find a low ball current value that can be supported to get the best price on the policy. This gives you the most return on your premiums you pay. This type of policy pays whatever it takes to replace the gun at the time of your claim, and the value you give up front is only to set the price of the insurance policy. An actual cost of replacement policy will cost more per insured value but it’s worth every piney, trust me, I found out the hard way!

An actual value policy sounds good in name but sucks if you ever need to use it because it allows the adjuster to determine the value, not you! The adjusters SOP is to get 3 prices and pay the average, sounds fair right? Well they have databanks of auction houses and places like that and pick the 3 lowest sale prices in the last 12 months and you get screwed because some guys in Huston, Miami, and Barstow got some smoking deals. Thanks to my ignorance I got reimbursed just under $90 for a pre 64 Winchester model 70 back in 2000 even though I had been paying insurance on it as a $1300 gun for 3 years. The flipside of an actual value policy is best shown that a painting the wife had apprised at $1800 when we took out the policy then at the time of the fire 3 years later it was worth over $3000, but we only got the $1800 insured value. So with a actual value policy you got to state a high value without going so high that you waste money insuring ‘fake value’ you will never be getting.

Sorry for the hijack but hopefully this info will be some help to guys trying to protect their gun investment.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Question

This is great info guys. Thanks. What I'm getting so far is that the Blue Book of Gun Values is about as useful for determining actual gun values as NADA is in determining boat values... not very. And, getting a true value from the online auctions can be just as sketchy due to false "instant values" created by bidding wars or the occasional steals.

And, don't trust the insurance companies, they'll lowball you on replacement cost. And, don't overinsure on an agreed cost policy because you end up paying too much.

Is that about right?

So, I suppose I'm back to my original question... How do I find out what my rifles are worth (without actually selling them)?

the answer has already been given...comparable values of sold guns on gunbroker

$750.00 or tell them Jack OConnor gave it to your dad to bump it to $7,500.00

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    $750.00 or tell them Jack OConnor gave it to your dad to bump it to $7,500.00
    Now that right there is funny! I wonder if I could get away with that?

As far as Gunbroker's site goes, I see quite a few listings for similar rifles. Some are mint, some are battle scarred shooters. Some sell, and some don't. How do I find out which ones sold, and for how much? I know where to find "completed listings" on Ebay, but I'm really unfamiliar with Gunbroker's site. Do they have the same feature and I'm just not looking in the right place?

Also, how do I tell what grade/condition is comparable to mine?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm kind of in unfamiliar territory here. Just looking for a guide. Thanks again guys.

Another thing to remember is the more you insure them for the higher your preiums will be. But what you insure them for does not gurantee your insurer will pay that amount unless your policy actually states that.
    Gun values change all the time. Winchester 70's peaked a couple of years ago and for the most part have fallen ever since. So have pricey bolt customs and doubles. Values depend on who "just has to have" what you are selling.
    Tennessee

you have to register on GB to see completed auctions

Winchester 70's peaked a couple of years ago and for the most part have fallen ever since.
    Depends on what kind of Winchester 70

Default Real value

I suggest you contact Joe Andreis, owner of Great Northern Guns and ask if he'll give you a value on the gun in writing, after actually seeing and appraising the gun for insurance purposes. if he writes down it's value on a store letterhead, it carries some weight. If it has a side mount with holes drilled on the side of the receiver for attaching it or even on top, the value will be greatly reduced. There is a great collector clan out there for pre-64s. As to your other rifles, the same written appraisal applies.

Thumbs up

Wildalaska- I didn't even think of setting up an account and logging in to GB. But, now that I think of it, I have to be logged in to Ebay to see their completed listings, too. Thanks.

Mauserboy- Thanks for the contact at GNG. That could be what I was looking for.

GB is a pain that way. If you need an insurance appraisal, stop by, no charge.

I only charge when I have to testify in court