Thread: The Naknek?

Default The Naknek?

Hey all, thinking of heading to King Salmon in October. Wonderin if any body has experience with the Naknek at this time or surrounding bow waters.
    Any and all beta appreciated.

I've fished and guided all over the state for big rainbows, The kenai, Kvichiak, Moraine, American, Funell, Brooks and so on and if you ask my my favorite river to fish for big bows i will tell you the naknek without hesitation. Lots of really big fish but what seperates them is the fight, they are the hottest rainbows i've ever encountered.

October is a great time to fish for them especially if like me your favorite way to fish is swinging leeches and flesh with single or double hand rods.
    You can still fish beads but swinging is way more effective and imo a lot more fun.

There are really two spots to fish for them, rapids camp and lake camp which are both the largest spawning areas in the river. I prefer rapids camp myself but both have lots of good water.

I'll be there late september and i'll give you a report

Thanks KC. That sounds fantastic, that is my preferred way to flyfish as well. Would you fish the american, brooks, or morraine in october or would you stick with the larger drainages like the kvichak and naknek?

Look close at the reg.s out there. I was out there and caught my first king on a pole on the the Naknek (over 50 pounds) and was up river almost to the the lake and caught a 28" rainbow and had to let him go.

That was about 12 years ago.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Hey all, thinking of heading to King Salmon in October. Wonderin if any body has experience with the Naknek at this time or surrounding bow waters.
    Any and all beta appreciated.
    contact member oats... he lives out that way.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm considering booking a trip with the Naknek River Camp next year and this is making my decision much easier. Now, to figure out the best time to go. I'm thinking the first or second week in September.

My Advise:

think steelheading... (Scientific study on genetics to follow...)

Don't be afraid of dries
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Thanks KC. That sounds fantastic, that is my preferred way to flyfish as well. Would you fish the american, brooks, or morraine in october or would you stick with the larger drainages like the kvichak and naknek?
    October is a little late for the amercan and morraine as the bows are usually out of those rivers. However brooks can be excellent in october. Wouldn't be a bad idea to head over there for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I'm considering booking a trip with the Naknek River Camp next year and this is making my decision much easier. Now, to figure out the best time to go. I'm thinking the first or second week in September.
    That's where I will be staying, ill let you know how it goes

IMO the best time is late september early october for three reason. Numeber one the bows are more evenly dispersed throughout lake and rapids camp. Number two like i mentioned earlier they are more apt to hit flesh and leeches during this time on the drift or on the swing, Early septemer is strictly a bead show. The second is obviously personal preference. Third seems like the really grande trout don't always move out by early september so it's a safer bet in late september

AKPM you can be assured that I am thinking metalheads, and skating dries. I look forward to your study info that will follow.

As usual, AKPM provides erroneous secondhand info.

I wouldn't be surprised if you raised a fish to a skater, maybe 1 medium-sized fish, in 2-3 days of fishing.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you managed to land a few small trout on the dry.

If you want to catch fish, you will heed KC's advice and swing large flies. A few folks I know guide out that way, and NONE OF THEM use surface flies when chasing large fish. All big, all black, all swung deep, all Fall.

I agree with G-smolt, fishing dries that time of year is foolish to say the least.

Well I appreciate everyones ideas. I will be primarily swinging large streamers, but I will have some large dries to skate because I have had luck with it in the SW in the fall. How bout the kvichak? Anyone fish there late in the season? We will be basing out of king salmon and exploring from there.

Kodiak Commando and Gsmolt are giving you the right scoop. Two years ago I dropped in on Moraine Creek in early October, and it was barren of trout, caught two I think in a couple of hours. The flesh was all washed out, bones on the bars, and no food. Fish follow food and they were gone.

I will be fishing the Kvichak September 21-26 then might mosey on down to the Nak. Kvichak is excellent during these same time periods (late September into October) as the big fish are coming out of the big lakes chasing food. Awesome spey rod swinging flesh and leaches. Going to be putting my new Burkheimer into full duty.

Be prepared for rude weather, it is more likely to be cold, windy and wet than anything else. It is not for wimps. Believe me I know, I hunted and flew hunters down there for twelve years in October.

KC, maybe will see you down there.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    As usual, AKPM provides erroneous secondhand info.

I wouldn't be surprised if you raised a fish to a skater, maybe 1 medium-sized fish, in 2-3 days of fishing.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you managed to land a few small trout on the dry.

If you want to catch fish, you will heed KC's advice and swing large flies. A few folks I know guide out that way, and NONE OF THEM use surface flies when chasing large fish. All big, all black, all swung deep, all Fall.
    Well last time I was fishing the Naknek I did what all the guides did and caught nothing then switched to dries and slayed... Also most folks I know fish for steelhead with deeply swung black flies... Hence, think steelhead.

The bottom line is don't be afraid of dries you might be surprised. The 3 biggest trout I've ever caught in my life in Alaska have all been on dries.

Thats my advice take it or leave it

I wouldn't consider going to bristol bay without some skaters.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.