Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is there to hunt in Juneau

Default What is there to hunt in Juneau

Somewhat new to Juneau, this will be my 1st hunting season anyway. What is there to hunt up here. Bear and little tiny dear are about it for "big game" right? What about birds?

Thanks!

How old do you have to be to hunt up here? My son is chomping at the bit.

There is Stone sheep up the Taku glacier area....

Read the book Bear Hunting Judge.He hunted alot around Juneau and its bays.You can realy get back in there and cover more land than you ever dreamed.It is very hard going in many places and others a walk in the park

Don't forget about the ever elusive Mt. Goats, Moose if you have access to get there(still haven't gotten my moose). Waterfowl season starts the 15th of Sept this year as well. Your son has to be ten years old to have his own permits, otherwise he hunts on your permits(see pg 9 of regs).
    Good Luck

Lots of black bears in the Juneau area, although there are some closed areas close to town. May even find a brownie, wolf, or goat North of town. Also I just got the waterfowl regs. and they've changed the season..Sept 16th-Dec. 31st! good luck

Default birds

the duck hunting is alot of fun
    you can go anywere in the wetlands an find ducks
    grouse are a little harder to find

Question Taku sheep

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    There is Stone sheep up the Taku glacier area....
    Ive been in around and over Taku Drainage for several years By boat and plane and havent heard or seen of any sheep in that area. Maybe up towards Atlin In B.C But I think if there was a huntable population of sheep guys would be sheep hunting up there instead of Goat hunting. Especially with the ease of access by plane or by boat into the taku area.

Whats wrong with our little tiny deer? They can be challenging to get and are some of the best eating ever. They can hit 200lbs if you get a big one. A couple years ago I got one that was 191 lbs dressed out.

Quote Originally Posted by VanSlam View Post
    What about birds?
    For upland birds you have Blue Grouse (my personal fav) and Ptarmigan.

4 tags and 5 month long deer season is pretty hard to beat . . .

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    For upland birds you have Blue Grouse (my personal fav) and Ptarmigan.

4 tags and 5 month long deer season is pretty hard to beat . . .

whoooo wait a min.... you are allowed 4 Deer and 5 months to hunt them? wow! Little different then the 2 weeks I'm use too. Is that for Doe's only or both? Do you have to put in for the tags? This is sounding good...

Generally bucks only from Aug 1 - Sept 15th, then either sex until Dec 31.

There are exceptions - bucks only (2 total) on the mainland part of Unit 1C. They may shut down parts of Unit 4 to bucks only come Nov this year.

Let me know when you figure it out I knew about deer, I havent made it out yet but I'm going to start hiking and tracking this coming weekend. Provided the GF will let me alone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Ive been in around and over Taku Drainage for several years By boat and plane and havent heard or seen of any sheep in that area. Maybe up towards Atlin In B.C But I think if there was a huntable population of sheep guys would be sheep hunting up there instead of Goat hunting. Especially with the ease of access by plane or by boat into the taku area.

Whats wrong with our little tiny deer? They can be challenging to get and are some of the best eating ever. They can hit 200lbs if you get a big one. A couple years ago I got one that was 191 lbs dressed out.

There are some stone sheep up Taku - Not a large population....and they are on the US side.....

Thanks Onelung,

For proving me right! I thought I was going to have to pull out my pictures of the stone rams I spotted in the Boundary creek drainage, yes they are true stones and not fannins. They have been studied and the population is actually growing.

heh...I'd still love to see the pics if you wanna PM me them sometime!

Smile ok

I give but enough with the tease give is a pic. Ive heard rumors but you cant beleive everything you hear.

Man, you guys are going to make me go find that disk, I did post them on here about a little over a year ago, I believe if you talk to Mr. Heimer he will tell you all about them.

I have some friends who have had some great bear hunting further south, Point Baker (on Prince of Wales, but they hunted other islands) area.

Default sheepee

Share the wealth, been over this area several times, no sheepage, goats tho. Pictures speak loudest

Bottom line for the OP.

Theres tons of stuff to hunt around Juneau, though a lot of it does require a boat, or a fly-out.

Theres Moose to be had in Taku, Berners (Drawing) Gustavus, St. James Bay, and other places south of town.

Theres Wolf, deer, bear (Brown and black), Mt. Goat.....and I'm sure theres more that I am forgetting about...

I've heard of Stone Sheep being taken up the Stikine River in Canada.

Seems plausable that they could be found one major drainage (not counting the Whiting R.) further to the north.

Can't figure out why moose won't come down the Whiting to Gilbert Bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast