Thread: Good tent...?

Default Good tent...?

Has anyone ever used the "Arctic Oven" by Alaska Tent and Tarp? Is it really worth all the money and if so what options would you go with? I am looking for a tent that is good in the wind and will standby up to alaska!! Thanks for the info.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I personally have not used an Artic Oven but I know they have been discussed a lot around here and have thier up and downs like anything. If you have'nt done so already do a search. Go to the Old Forums link at the top/right of this page and try that also. Lots of good info on other tents too. As far as a tent that will stand up to Alaska, any high quality tent will work for it's intended purpose from bivy bags up to large wall tents with a wood stove depending on what you are doing. Heck years ago I used a two man el cheapo dome tent under a tarp for moose hunting for a week.

For high wind (50 mph +) you need aluminum poles (the more the better), lots of guy out points and lower profile. I personally have an older North Face expedition single wall tent that sheds the wind like crazy. It's similar to a Bibler Bomb Shelter. No rain fly to flap in the wind. Again, get a high quality expedition or 4 season tent in my opinion. A good 3 season may work but I just like one that's a little more stout. I'll pack the extra 2 lbs on a sheep hunt to have a stronger tent. I have a friend who's small 3 season tent failed in high wind and snow on a sheep hunt. He was literally blown down the mountain in the tent and ended up having to be rescued by a helicopter.

check out http://www.findmeatent.com/
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default More info!

Mark,

You really didn't give us a lot to go on. To provide good info on this you need to let us know what you plan to do with the tent. You mentioned the Arctic Oven, which is a fantastic tent (one of the best), but not for every situation. Then you mentioned wind. Totally different thing there. If you're camping in open country up here I would take Snyd the Pirate's advice (arrrrrg!) and go with a mountaineering tent.

There's a LOT of information already on this in the archives. You might start there.

I'll attach a photo of a four season mountaineering tent so you can see what we're saying. Tents in Alaska are like boats in Alaska. One will not fit all circumstances.

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hilljack, as Michael and Snyd stated more info is gonna be needed. I had a good friend that had an Arctic Oven and it was a great tent to take to your hunting location with the help of your truck or in a meat trailer behind a 4 wheeler but you surely arent going to backpack it in anywhere. Here is a pic of my 6 man Cabelas Guide tent with the deluxe vestibule and fiberglass poles. I got a 50/50 concensus from guys that have used this tent in extreme conditions on whether or not to take it to the Alaska Peninsula for a brown bear hunt. This baby withstood sustained winds of 60-70 mph for 48 hours straight, with gusts that I am sure would scare me to know what they actually were. Tent set-up location was absolutely critical and not one single component of this tent failed.

Last edited by AlaskaCub; 11-22-2006 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Snyd the Pirate's advice (arrrrrg!)...
    haha! Snyd the Pirate. Kinda has a ring to it.

Here's a couple pics of a high tech single wall breathable expedition tent. Poles (5) are set inside the tent. Also has inside guy points for really high wind. Single and double wall tents both have advantages and disadvantages. Advantage: Single wall tents have more room with the same footprint and are lighter. This tent is a mansion for 2 and will sleep 4 crosswise with no gear. 2 guys and packs fit inside with room to spare. This tent weighs 10lbs. Less than most 2 man 4 season double wall tents.

Disadvantages: You have GOT to manage condensation with proper venting. Harder to split up the weight. Tent body/vestibule is one piece.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Be prepared

Every so often, even on a caribou hunt, the unexpected can happen. The small A frame tent on the left was used for storage of gear, etc.

The Arctic Oven is a specialized tent that is the very best if you are exploring or hunting by snowmachine in the Brooks Range and further North.
    They are warm to -70 F and can save you in a completely unreal situation.

They are expensive but if you were going after sheep in the winter in the Brooks or to the Buckland Hotsprings then this would be the best.

I believe that Wall Tents especially those made by Alaska Tent and Tarp in Fairbanks are the best bet for River camping for Moose and other critters.
    I think that it adds to the experience to make your camp poles from scratch.

Single Wall mountaineering tents are best for walkin sheep hunts. Condensation can be a problem. I am going to purchase a Bibler Eldorado even if it is small and expensive because it is flame resistant and the weight savings will be used in additional packed in food that will give me an extra 30 mile range in the mountains.

A tarp is all you need for most hunts that are close to the road system. The tents mentioned before are specialized and selected for survival extremes. The Wall Tent can be useful if you get wet. The mountaineering can stand up to winds and weather. The Arctic Oven could get you through a winter storm with bad temperatures.

Sincerely,
    Kaboku68

I love my walrus 4 season tent I bought at REI. It held up awsome in Kotz. It has held up some very strong winds while hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use this bad boy from Cabelas and it has proven itself... Love this tent!

mtcop71 you need to slap the condo on the end of that thing the Deluxe Vestibule is the bomb. That pic above was from the Pen this past spring.

Thumbs up Nice

How did the alaska vestibule work for ya... I want one!. I will be taking your same set up this next fall along with the bear fence.

Default North Face

I believe this is a VE-45, not sure if they still make it, but sleeps two with gear comfortably, withstands feet of rain and very strong winds. Itís a 4 season, and I'd guess 12 lbs with the stakes I have with it.
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 08-06-2007 at 20:20.

I'll tell you this, mine is the 6 man, and since returning from that hunt I replaced it with the 4 man. The 6 man is much taller than the 4 man. Which in turn gives you more surface area to be affected by wind,at one point we had 4 action packers stacked straight up against the windward wall to help keep it from collapsing on us but with that said it still worked in the worst winds I have ever experienced since living in Alaska. To give you an idea, I could stand up on our spotting knob, and this is no sh$$ the wind would hold me up, I could lean forward and attempt to fall forward and the wind would not let me fall. I dont know for sure what the winds were but I am guessing near 70mph. I am sure you know that tent setup location is critical. The vestibule was the bomb and is the primary reason I still buy and use the Guide tents. It makes for an awesome camp. We cooked in it, we had folding chairs we could kick back inside it and stayed completely out of the weather.

Default 6 man

I too have the 6 man. I like it alot. I used it 2 years ago in Kotzebue when that 10 year storm hit and we were locked in the tent for 3 days. sustaining winds of 60-70 mph and watching the river rise 12 feet. I bought the aluminum poles for mine and with 2 guys one 6'7 and me 6'2 we had plenty of room.

On the cabelas model tent did you guys go with the alum pole or finerglas?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Aluminum

I went with aluminum. Stronger and a little lighter.

Thanks. I think I might ask santa for this tent.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I also have the 6 man with the Alaskan vestibule and am very happy with it. I really like being able to stand up while getting dressed! That was the deciding factor on me buying it. I have had it for about 5 years now and have used it in pouring rain and sunny days with no problems. I have yet to use it in high winds. I didn't have the money for the aluminum poles when I purchased it, but so far the fiberglass poles are holding up great. I do worry about it blowing away in a big storm and make sure I do a good job of staking it down before goign to sleep.

Default I highly recomend a Kifaru tipi

I have used a buddy's Artic Oven- nice tent but, Way too bulky and heavy, with the floor in it everything gets wet.
    My 8 man Kifaru wieghs 7lbs with the stove. I much prefer no floor, and it is the best design for dealing with high wind conditions. The only thing I don't like is the the condinsation issues. I have mittigated it by properly venting, and the heat from the stove more than mkaes up for it. It is great for my family of 4 and out 120 lab. Sets up in 20 minutes. It is well worth the money.
    Rob

I've used the Alaskan 4 man and various north face butt kickers (ve-25 was my favorite of those) for various work projects but opted for the XPG 4-man from Cabelas for my own. It's got the low profile wind resistance, aluminum poles, and vestibule option of the North Face tents but at half the price...and it sets up pretty quick. It's no backpacker model for sure but compared to the large profile of the Alaskan tents, I like it for when the winds really howl,the harder it blows, the tighter it sticks to the ground. I've already left mine dead empty to help a buddy restake a four man Alaskan during a good 40-50 mph blow...he owes me.

Drawbacks include not being able to stand up, but with double doors (both with a vestibule) and guylines out the wahoo, it's way solid,sleeps two guys and gear or pooch well (or four men who grew up with severe nutritional deficiencies) and can be vented for any weather. Plus, it's rectantular so things fit in it better, octoganol tents seem to waste lots of space.