Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: no respect

  1. #1

    Default no respect

    I am a kayaker and I had the opportunity of witnessing a fisherman and his girl partner by Shirley town bridge on Willow creek totally abuse the rainbows with their selfish photo opps. They dropped the fish from at least 4 ft., took pictures for what seemed like a minute while the fish wiggled on the rocks.
    Long story short, I yelled at them and reminded them Willow is a sanctuary for rainbow trout and to respect the fish. After a few quick excuses which didn't fly, I asked him if he would have done that with Fish and game there, Over 30 years of fishing Alaska's streams I have seen the declines in populations, and seemingly size reductions in certain fish. As residents we must react to this kind of behavior and put a damper on it. I probably should not have f bombed him but it was ridiculus.
    I really wanted to bounce his head off the rocks, grab his feet and hold him under water for a minute or so then go from there, but I'm kind of a nice guy.
    Was I wrong, or is this acceptable amongest the average fishermen?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default

    I think it's totally acceptable, I want to bang their heads on the rocks too!
    Mike

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Wink

    If the rainbow is less than 16 inches, it should have it's head banged on a rock and it's flesh thrown in a frying pan. Willow Creek is far from being a "sanctuary" for rainbows. Shirley Town Road is a very popular spot and quite often you can see novice fisherpeople hitting the holes. Those rainbows eat up a whole lot of the salmon eggs and fry that are in the creek and most consider them to be predator fish and fairly decent table fare.

    Now if they didn't keep the fish and eat it, then I would have a real beef with them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    i think you did the right thing. My wife and I see it all the time on the kenai and we always try to suggest proper ways to handle fish. some people are idiots and dont care. There are those that just dont know and apprecaite the help
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  6. #6

    Default

    I haven't heard of a rainbow being a predatory fish. Rainbows, salmon, and dollys all eat eggs. If you keep killing those 16 inch trout not many will be left to grow into larger 20+ inch trout.

    I think you did the right thing also. I cringe fishing for trout on the kenai when I see people drag the fish 15 feet up the bank and let them flop around for a minute until they stop moving. Then kick them back into the water. Most of those fish are reds, but why not have respect for every fish?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    wow I thought I was only one who thought the rainbow eat to many eggs...


    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If the rainbow is less than 16 inches, it should have it's head banged on a rock and it's flesh thrown in a frying pan. Willow Creek is far from being a "sanctuary" for rainbows. Shirley Town Road is a very popular spot and quite often you can see novice fisherpeople hitting the holes. Those rainbows eat up a whole lot of the salmon eggs and fry that are in the creek and most consider them to be predator fish and fairly decent table fare.

    Now if they didn't keep the fish and eat it, then I would have a real beef with them.

  8. #8

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I haven't heard of a rainbow being a predatory fish. Rainbows, salmon, and dollys all eat eggs. If you keep killing those 16 inch trout not many will be left to grow into larger 20+ inch trout.
    I have always known rainbows are predatory fish. Suprised you have not heard of it before now. The only salmon that "eat" eggs are the landlocked ones. As far as Dollies, that is why they used to have a bounty on them. Yes, I realize a dead rainbow doesn't get any bigger, and that is sorta the reason for killing them. Hence the reason Fish and Game sets the bag limit on Willow Creek around Shirley Town Road, at less than 16". They want you to kill and eat the pan sized ones. The bigger ones taste too fishy from all the eggs in their diet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    Nearly all fish are predatory. Eating eggs is scavenging which nearly all fish practice also. Salmon fry and smolt are extremely predatory and each eat their fair share of smaller fry and scavenge eggs. All Alaskan salmonids whether anadromous or not eat there own and whatever else they can catch, so what? The point of the post is to respect and take care of the resource when you are enjoying it.

  10. #10

    Default declines

    I hope you are not blaming rainbows for declining salmon populations, they have coexisted for a long time. This is not the point anyway.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Great post OATS. Couldnt have said it better myself. Trout have been here feeding on salmon eggs for a lot longer than any of us have been here. The last thing salmon have to worry about theses days is trout feeding on their eggs.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    607

    Default

    When I was growing up in southeast, during federal management days, there was a bounty on dolly varden and cutthroats as it was felt that they ate too many eggs and hurt the fishing for salmon. It must have been discredited as it was stopped, if memory serves, sometime before statehood.

    Fish should be treated with respect whatever the species and either handled carefully and released or bonked on the head and eaten.

  13. #13

    Default

    I often wonder why one can not take a Kenai king out of the water (unless it's retained) yet it's OK to remove a Kenai 'bow fully out of the water for a grip n grin glory shot.

    I wasn't a big fan of the WA rule at first, but have since gotten used to it - it's against the law to fully remove *any* salmonid from the water (in WA) unless the fish is retained.

    The more I watch the average fisherman fish, the more I'm convinced that the rule/law is a good thing. I see way to much improper and poor fish handling while out on the river.

    As an educated fish dude, I could be biased. I respect all our salmonids - from that majestic 40+ pound chromer Kenai hen in my avatar to the mossed up pink or chum.

  14. #14

    Default I think

    you could have taken the opportunity to show them how to properly bonk a fish if they are going to keep it. Or was it over 16?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    you could have taken the opportunity to show them how to properly bonk a fish if they are going to keep it. Or was it over 16?
    Mike
    The fish was a nice 20 inch bow and should have been handled with care, take the pic and release the fish. I assume most anglers do understand, many fish are caught more than once.
    I did try to be nice, but his smart remarks which amounted to no more than irrelevant drivel got him a tongue lashing.
    Thanks all for your perspective, it will help guide mine in the future.
    MO

  16. #16

    Default

    Jeesus, it's not like introduced Pike who are decimating other fish populations. Bows are part of the natural system...they should be respected.

    No I feel the same way about ignorant or apathetic fishermen, though. A couple weeks ago we were fishing in a fave spot and some stupid gang of 3 guys were kicking salmon and dollies all over the place like a soccer ball. They'd unhook it, let it drop the whole 5ft to the ground and kick it up into the air to get it back in the river. People are disgusting I tell you.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

  17. #17
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    i respect the trout by eating them and grayling too! some people give me dirty looks when they see a fat rainbow,dolly or grayling on my stringer, or all three but, hey i was born and raised here buddy so suck it up! ill eat my fish and shoot wolves too! but as for droppin fish on rocks like that, big no-no, hurts the meat btw i dont keep every big trout i catch either, i like pan sized mostly

  18. #18
    Member Crab_n_fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I think it's totally acceptable, I want to bang their heads on the rocks too!
    Mike
    I'd like to drink their blood as it is served "on the rocks." Hey, it's Friday and party time!

  19. #19

    Thumbs up

    For anyone to suggest that Rainbow Trout are not part of the problem with Salmon Stocks, well....that's just silly. The few salmon that have made it back to the spawn beds the last few years, need all the help they can get, for production. They are certainly not the only reason for the decline, but they are most certainly a factor by eating eggs, destroying redds and eating smolt. Rainbows are not the Holy Grail of Alaska's Fishery and such never be considered as such. They need managed just like every other species. I try to manage them the best I can.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    4

    Default Trout have nothing to do with declining salmon numbers

    So in good years when salmon were plentiful, were there less trout? and last time I checked, juvenile salmon eat eggs, fishermen walk through redds etc... This post was about respect.
    Every salmon that gets caught and bonked is one less spawning salmon, how about those eggs? The eggs the trout are eating for the most part are the floaters, eggs that dont get buried in the nest and fertilized anyway. They dont need to waste the energy tearing up redds to get eggs they just sit and wait for the floaters or those kicked up by us fishermen. If we want to find a reason for declining salmon numbers all we need to do is look in the mirror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •