Thread: Seward to Whitter boat trip

Default Seward to Whitter boat trip

Would like to travel from Seward to Whitter. Have a 24 foot boat with 80 gallon tank. Would like some advice from someone that has done this.

Joe

I have done it. If I recall, it's +/- 150 miles. I suspect that fuel will be your limiting factor, with mother nature being a runner up. What type of boat, cruise speed, and fuel burn are we talking about?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Fuel and Weather

If you have the right weather it is rather pleasant. I would suggest doing the route as you stated, Seward to Whittier the first time. It is not fun to leave from Whittier then get all the way down to S Montague and see that the big ocean is not happy and have to reverse course. Extra gas is always helpful.

Default gas consumption - Whittier

I always tell people leaving Whittier to only use 1/3 their fuel because it can take 2/3 of it to return because the winds are mostly from the West. Not sure this is of any help. Be safe happy boating.

Default take more gas!

My dad and a friend whent from the whittier side and got past chenega realizing they had not brought enough fuel to even go exploring. If your just doing a straight shot there your fuel will be less of course but you will kick yourself when you dont take enough fuel to spare.

We take at least an extra 30 Gallons on the boat most the time just for safety.

There is a limit on how much fuel you can take thru the whittier tunnel and i agree with starting from Seward unless the weather is stable for your whole trip + a few days on the Gulf side of Montegue.

Running with the tide currents can be helpfull on gas useage.

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    There is a limit on how much fuel you can take thru the whittier tunnel

says who??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    says who??
    There is a limit (12 gallons, I think) on how much fuel you can transport in portable tanks through the tunnel. That does not mean that you cannot carry it in a permanent tank, such as one built into your truck or boat, or that you cannot take extra containers and buy the fuel in Whittier.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

It is 86 miles from whittier to Montigue island. You can google earth and do the milage cal from there, but go from Seward to whittier because of big water.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    There is a limit (12 gallons, I think) on how much fuel you can transport in portable tanks through the tunnel. That does not mean that you cannot carry it in a permanent tank, such as one built into your truck or boat, or that you cannot take extra containers and buy the fuel in Whittier.

Yep.

shhhhhh....Unless you hide a 55gal drum on board.........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Good Info... I've been taking my portable gas tanks thru the tunnel since it opened. It can be hard to stay within the 12 gallon limit if your planning on going very long distances.. I'd also start from Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGuyinAlaska View Post
    Would like to travel from Seward to Whitter. Have a 24 foot boat with 80 gallon tank.
    What do you have for power? How much fuel does your boat burn going say 18 knots in "average" (yeah I know what is average) conditions?