Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the "old goat" a goat!!! :D

Default Got the "old goat" a goat!!! :D

So my dad was born and raised in Alaska. Grew up in the 60s hunting the Nowitna when no one else did with my Grandpa and shot 60"+ moose nearly every year leaving the antlers on the bank as all they cared about was hauling the meat back to the village. Ok I lied they did haul a 72" moose back but thats an exception I'm willing to forgive them for.

So my dad has shot more moose than he cares to remember growing up here in AK. But not a lot of mountain hunting. I think he went sheep hunting in the Brooks once like 20 years ago and helped a guy haul out a decent sheep but thats it. So I've made it my mission to get him in the mountains before he gets too old. Part of this mission has been getting him geared up through every holiday excuse to buy him gear. Christmas....solid mountain hunting boots. Father's Day....Arcteryx Bora 80 backpack...Birthday......base layers and mountain pants. He's a little guy (5' even and 120 lbs) so finding gear that fits him is a CHORE!!!!

So last December I put him in for some tags that I'd like to be along to hunt on (I know selfish). This included some goat tags. Turns out he drew a 2% goat tag!!! Found out in January. Called him up....."Hey Dad, um ya won a goat permit!!!" Dad said "A goat permit huh????? I've never hunted goats have you??" "Nope, but all I know is you better be getting in shape" So he took it upon himself to get his little 50+ year old body in shape for the trip.

My wife and I scouted out a decent way up the mountain in July as I REALLY wanted to help my dad bag a goat. Found a SWEET little game trail through all the devils clubs and alders (thanks to MARC TAYLOR) in July, but didn't see any goats, just goat hair EVERYWHERE.

August 15th rolls around. Still sore after the 18 miles of packing out a caribou 3 days prior we find ourselves leaving the truck at 11;30 am. My dad with about 25 lbs in the pack, my wife with 50 lbs, and myself with 75 lbs. Did I mention I REALLY wanted to get my dad up the mountain?

We are on the top of the moutain 3,000' higher and 2.5 miles from the road at 3:30 PM with camp setup. We began hiking towards an area we knew held goats. 20 minutes after leaving camp we are looking at 8+ goats at 700 yrds away or less. No kids just billies and nannys. Decided to drop out of sight and hike another 1/2 mile and 700' higher in elevation. Now were are looking over 6 goats all bedded down at 280 yrds and closer.

Problem is all the goats are bedded on some nasty cliffs (like goats like to do) except for two. One that was facing us and one that was broadside.
    Dad lines up his Tikka .308 (freshly duracoated by my bro) on the top of the bedded broadside goat's back and makes a perfect shot. My wife was able to video the whole thing. The goat gets up walks around some rocks falls over and stops. Then kicks its hind legs a little and it begins to slide....then roll....then tumble....out of sight. All the wishing of it to stop didn't help. Now its 4:45 pm.

We walk back to the packs. Unload everything out that we don't need except for some snacks, water, gamebags, and a knife. Leave my wife at the packs in our little GoLite shelter to wait for us to get back out of the wind and rain as she's not all about climbing down the cliffs to find the goat. This begins our 2 hour decent to find out way down to where the goat went. As we begin going down the ridge where the goat was last seen at 4,000' the fog rolls in to less than 150 yrds of visibilty and ends up staying that way for the next 24 hours. Atleast really makes it easier to find the missing goat though right?? After a few sketchy places were I slipped fell 8 to 10' then climb back up and help my dad down a little more controlled as he tossed my pack down to me and I was able to reach up and have in stand on my hands and lower him down. Anyways 7:30 we finally find the goat....at 3,000'.

Horns are broken off and cape not worth salvaging, but the meat appeared ok. Knowing that we couldn't go back up the way we came and that it'll be getting dark in a couple hours we made quick work of quartering it, but my dad was spent after hiking to get up to camp and then the hunt to the goats and hike down to it. So I just took half the goat out that night and we were able to clammer our way back to my wife and then camp about 10:00. At which point my well rested wife hooked my dad and I up with some ever so tasty mountain house dinners, hot tea, and a dessert. YUMMY!!! Went to bed and sleep came easily.

Woke up the next morning still fogged in and raining and knowing we had to go back down the sketchy crags to get the 2nd half of the goat out. Left the tent at 10 AM back to the tent at 2:30 PM with the rest of the goat. Had some warm instant potatoes and took a nap. Got up at 3:30 packed up our camp and was at the truck at 8:10 PM when with a wall of water coming down. With heavy packs, being soaking wet, and tired bodies we were glad to be heading back home. My dad was convinced he was being guided on this hunt. In fact when we got back to the truck and he tried to load my pack (100+ pounds) into the bed he said that between me packing and my wife cooking for him this trip was guided and complete with a "sherpa and a chef"

Next day got the goat processed, and we all got our first ever taste of mountain goat that my wife cooked up for us for dinner. Great stuff despite the fall. Although the hunt didn't pan out like I had envisioned with the fall and horns breaking off, it was still a trip of a lifetime and just glad to be able to share the experience with my dad.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 08-23-2009 at 17:38.

Great story. I just wished my old man would want to do something other than golf (I've tried)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Congrats on a good hunt my friend! Sounds like heck of a hunting story, and with good company no less!

Default Great hunt

Congrats on the hunt and glad your dad got the goat. How was the video that your wife took? I am sure you will remember this hunt all your life and I have to commend you on taking your dad. I wish I would have done more with my dad so enjoy.

Default Sounds like

Your proud of the 'plan' coming together, and I'll bet your Dad is proud of his son. Good for you All !!

However, I heard a rumor that your Dad had the 75lb pack, and a 20 minute wait at the top,, for His 'kids'. ??

Also, I can't leave this out, "So my Dad was BORED and raised in Alaska."
    Ummm, truthfully, I've never known your Dad to be 'BORED'''....

Sorry no pics of the goat as we felt it wasn't fair to the show such a beautiful animal in the state it was when we recovered it. Besides the meat still tastes great.

Anyways here is some pics from the hunt:

Hiking up the mountain, just breaking out of treeline after 2 hours of hiking:

More hiking:

Camp setup and ready to go look for goats:

My wife chefing it up at 10 pm for our late dinner:

Pics of the terrain of my dad going down the next day to help retrieve his goat, like most pics of steep terrain most of you know they don't really do the terrain justice:

My dad standing at the bottom of the chute the goat tumbled down:

My dad and I tired, hungery, soaking wet, and extremely happy and proud:

Awesome story!!! Thank you for sharing.

IMO you will be rewarded for honoring your father.

Think about all of the effort your father put in to raising you the way he did and making sure you had opportunities, now this is his reward.

Me and my bro try to do the same thing with our pop. He is getting older now and chasing game is far less of a priority than it used to be. He will not pass the chance to spend time with his boys in the woods though we have to make it a little more comfortable for him.

Not until lately did I realize that the investments I make in my sons will be returned 10 fold when I am an old man . Not that I need that for motivation, but some day he'll carry the heavy pack for me if I do my job character building today.

This year we are making a trip with my dad, bro and oldest son.

Good for you, enjoy the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Your proud of the 'plan' coming together, and I'll bet your Dad is proud of his son. Good for you All !!

However, I heard a rumor that your Dad had the 75lb pack, and a 20 minute wait at the top,, for His 'kids'. ??

Also, I can't leave this out, "So my Dad was BORED and raised in Alaska."
    Ummm, truthfully, I've never known your Dad to be 'BORED'''....

Oh yes I fixed that typo on born/bored. Sure there are a couple more errors in that story as I hammered it out in a hurry.

Yes that is how the packing went down for sure. Just too embarrasing to admit the old man out hiked and packed me here on the open forum

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Good on you for includeing both your old man and bride.Hope you are rewarded the same some day

Luke, I'm not sure who should be prouder, you of your Dad or he of you! And, it's awesome that your wife shared the hunt and helped make it happen for your Dad!

I bet he'll treasure this goat shot with you and your wife more than any monster moose he ever shot. You have some good karma due your way after this one!

Thanks for sharing the story and the pics.

I sure hope some of that good Karma pays out on Kodiak come the first week of Oct. Is beautiful weather and goats at sea level too much to ask for?

I enjoyed your story, and will try to use it--among other things, to motivate my dad for next year Good on you.

I sure hope that goat's full curl otherwise you'll never hear the end of it

Congrats to your dad and kudo's for honoring the man who raised you.

Default Cool

I also understand that poor conditional recovery. They are very heavy in the front and the head just doesn't take the abuse of a fall very well.

That terrain just rocked! There is nothing quite like scrambling in the rocks with the goats.

Congrats on a successful recovery. I'll be going after mine in two weeks, solo. I sure hope it doesn't land in another hole.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of your busy season. You better be paying those butchers well.

Default sex

So what was it?

Thumbs up

I am happy to hear you your dad and your wife had a good hunt Luke! Sounds like an interesting time with the terrain and weather not fully cooperating. Those darn goats sure seem to have a knack of doing the death kick and throwing themselves off cliffs!

Is your dad from the Nowitna area? You say he hauled meat to the village. Which village?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Is your dad from the Nowitna area? You say he hauled meat to the village. Which village?
    Ugghhh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast