Thread: Hamilton 212 Pump Help

Talking Hamilton 212 Pump Help

I have a leak on my 212 that is in a Thunder Jet. I do not know if it is the seal/bearing on the main shaft or if it is leaking where the pump is mounted to the hull. How much water will the seal on the main shaft leak if it is out and will it leak with the boat just sitting in the water, not under power. I have been up at Clear Creek after silvers and noticed the bilge pump come on and pump for 3 or 4 seconds. this would happen every 30 min or so. I could not tell where the water was coming from, so when I put the boat on the trailer to come home I pulled out and drained the water out. I then backed in to where the pump was under water and I could see water coming from the front area of the pump. I could not tell for sure where. I live down by Anchor Point, but staying the night in Palmer with my son, hoping to find a repair shop in the morning in the Anchorage are. Any help on a repair shop.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have a leak on my 212 that is in a Thunder Jet. I do not know if it is the seal/bearing on the main shaft or if it is leaking where the pump is mounted to the hull. How much water will the seal on the main shaft leak if it is out and will it leak with the boat just sitting in the water, not under power. I have been up at Clear Creek after silvers and noticed the bilge pump come on and pump for 3 or 4 seconds. this would happen every 30 min or so. I could not tell where the water was coming from, so when I put the boat on the trailer to come home I pulled out and drained the water out. I then backed in to where the pump was under water and I could see water coming from the front area of the pump. I could not tell for sure where. I live down by Anchor Point, but staying the night in Palmer with my son, hoping to find a repair shop in the morning in the Anchorage are. Any help on a repair shop.

You said from the front area of the pump. Up high or down low. What engine so I can figure out your configuration. Up high would be a shaft leak. Down low would be the seal to the hull leaking.

If a hull leak, depending on configuration might have to pull motor. Sorry>>>>>>>for the bad news. If it's the shaft should be able to do in a couple of hours.

Right now shops are pretty booked because of hunting season so not recommending anything for an instant repair. You are looking at probably a few weeks out.

Talking

The engine is the 383 stroker. I can not tell for sure where the water is coming from. How much water will the main shaft seal leak. Will the water from the main shaft seal come out the bottom of the bell housing. I'm afraid the water is coming from the hull seal but hoping it is the main shaft. I know it will take a while to fix, just looking for the best shop to do the job. Hope to find some place to drop it off in the morning.

Enough to sink it......when running it will tend to have more come thru the seal then sitting still. With the V8 install it can appear like it is coming from the bellhousing depending on how tight things are put together.

Unfortunately I repair my own so I am having a hard time thinking who does most of the jet repairs in town for 212's. I don't even do my parts locally. I did once but never again.

Talking

I have heard that A-1 Impeller is good, but I don't know if they do repair like I'm needing. Have you had any dealings with the old TJ dealer on the Parks Hwy in Palmer. I don't think there is a TJ dealer in the area anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have heard that A-1 Impeller is good, but I don't know if they do repair like I'm needing. I am thinking no.....but then again they have done some stuff I didn't think they would. Good guys just a bit pricey. Have you had any dealings with the old TJ dealer on the Parks Hwy in Palmer. Do you mean Wasilla.....the Arctic Cat dealer?? Great with sleds never heard much on the boat stuff. I don't think there is a TJ dealer in the area anymore. I believe you are correct....even doing a lookup yeilded no dealer in Alaska

Give Anchorage Yamaha a shot. I have not done anything with them in awhile but they have always been pretty easy to deal with. I drive by all the time and seem to remember seeing boats with 212's in the parking lot. Hope it works out.

How much did you grease the beaing, Reason i ask, some love them to death to much and blow that seal. I would lean toward that more so than the hull. Unless you wacked it down there and bent the hull. They glue them things in there pretty good. professional marine on potter might do this type of work, he bought out A-1... Havn,t used them myself heard others have.There is somebody in Palmer to, Boat builder can,t remember the name worth a look in the book for them. http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...orum/index.cfm Good stuff here also to read about that seal and leaks
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 08-23-2009 at 22:17. Reason: more

Talking

I never greased more than 2 pumps. No real hard hits on the bottom. The only one in the phone book that lists work on the Hamilton is A-1. I used to be on the River Jet forum all the time, but have not been on there for some time now.

Professional Marine 210 potter 563-2082 A-1 same... Ben.. At Silver streak,344-6151 off of Dimond Great Land Welding one i was trying to think of Gary I think. don,t have that N0# or know if they work on the jet part? But worth a call. Good luck with it. Let us know what you find.

Talking

Think I will start off with A-1 in the morning and see what they have to say. Will let you know when I get home. Thanks for all the info, good help!

Talking

Dropped off the boat at A-1 this morning and talked to Mike. He is going to put a few inches of water in the bilge and see if it leaks out around the pump to hull seal. He feels it is okay since there has not been any hard hits in the area. If no leaks there, then the engine has to come out to get to the main shaft seal/bearing as it is a short couple set up. I knew this before he told me but had forgot it. Now wait for call to see what they found.

B.O.A.T.---- Brake, Out ,Another, Thousand.. Sorry!! couldn,t help it. We all been there, We feel your pain, Mike,s a sharp guy, they getter fixed.